Author Topic: Protecting Your Warranty and Rights  (Read 690 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Protecting Your Warranty and Rights
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »

I received a new Garmin Automotive GPS from my wife as a 45th anniversary gift.  One of the first things a consumer of a Garmin GPS needs to do is register the item.  If you do not have a Garmin account it is easy to setup with a User Name and Password.

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/marketing/register.htm

When I open the package I felt that it had been opened before.  I went to this link to find out where to find my product serial number. 

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/howToFindSerialNumber.htm

I was less than happy to find the GPS had been registered before by another party.  That means I cannot receive warranty service on the unit if there is a problem from Garmin because the unit is registered to another person.

At this point I am unhappy with the “vendor” but not totally unhappy.  I will explain in another post.  It appears the vendor has a real customer orientated return policy.  My wife went to the website she ordered the unit from and to the return page.  It required responding to a few questions and a few minutes later she printed out a pre-paid UPS label with a tracking number.

I did about twenty miles this morning finding an open UPS pickup location.  The first one is closed the Memorial Day weekend.  The second one told me that UPS would not pickup until Tuesday.  I am okay with that, but the waiting is going to get old, it will be another week after they receive the item before our credit card is credited.  Until this is resolved I am not going to order a replacement gps.  I am considering ordering an update to the Map.

A feature I like about my c550 is the map detail.  When I am travelling rural highways and roads I can see the name of the side streets, and when I am approaching an intersection the name of the cross street appears in the header.  The 1490T does not provide the same detail.  You can touch the street on the screen and the name and address appears on the screen.  I feel this is a distraction. 

Another issue is that Garmin is not sending a full Manual with the units, they are now sending a quick start manual and the full manual can be downloaded from the Garmin Website.

Vendors take back products everyday and resale them.  When a vendor sells an item as new the warranty needs to be in place.  A serial number that can be registered with Garmin is part of what I paid for and did not receive from the vendor.  The return policy is good up to this point, now the waiting for the purchase credit has started.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Glanceblamm

Re: Protecting Your Warranty and Rights
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:59:28 AM »
How did you turn out on this Siskiyou?

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »
Protecting Your Warranty and Rights Part II

I must give Amazon.com credit.  Originally I called them the Vendor because I felt I needed to give them a shot at making things right on the return of the automotive gps.   

They handled the return as described in their return policy and credited our account for the full amount we paid.  While I ran around finding an open UPS store, the process was timely when you toss a three day holiday in there.

They lost money on the sale because they paid shipping both ways. 
The gps was sold by Electronic Direct and fulfilled by Amazon.   Wisely this is the direction my wife wanted to go because Amazon backed the sale.  Apparently Electronic Direct received the gps as a return from another buyer.  The buyer had registered the unit with Garmin which automatically blocked a second buyer from registering the unit and gaining warranty protection. 

A couple of good lessons for me. 

#1 when buying a product advertised on Amazon.com make sure it listed as one that is covered by Amazons return policy.

#2 on purchasing a Garmin product go to the online product registration page and register the product.  The purchaser immediately knows there is a problem if the product cannot be registered.

Unfortunately I did not play with the unit to do a good evaluation.  But  immediately I notice a difference in the display.  On my c550 when I am using the map function it displays the name of the streets around me, on the other unit it just showed my location.  When I touched a road displayed on the screen the street name would show up. 

A few weeks ago I was set to meet Gun Runner and we were going to visit a gun shop.  In route there was a fatal vehicle accident ahead of me involving three vehicles and killing a driver.  The highway was toast and was going to be closed a long time.  I quickly joined others on a narrow two lane to get around the accident.  Traffic was far beyond the horse and buggy design of the road, and I was moving slow.   My c550 kept me advised of the minor lanes that intersected the road I was on.  When I spotted the name of the road I wanted to turn on to ahead, I set myself up to make that turn without conflict.

A down fall of my older unit is the    information is out of date.  That is the primary reason I was looking at a new unit.  I wanted to update the map.  After we visited our primary goal we went looking for other gun shops in different communities.  The unit led us astray because those gunshops were no longer in business.

I am considering buying this product to update the maps and other data in my c550 at a third of the cost of buying a new unit on sale. 
http://www.tigergps.com/garmincnntna.html

At the rate business are failing I doubt if there is a mapping product that can keep up with it.

Another fault is in my court, I need add to or remove stale information from My Favorites list.  A couple of examples is that a brother moved a recently and I need to put his new address in twice, one with his home number and the second with his cellphone number.  Updated software "might" allow me to imput more than one phone number per address.

A hunting partner has retired and I need to remove his business address from the unit.  I need to create to entrys for his home address so I have the home phone and cellphone in the unit.

The other day I went to make a phone call using the c550 to my son, but I only had his home phone in the unit, I will do a double entry the second with his cellphone.

Depending on the hunting season I hunt in four or five counties.  I have the phone numbers of each county sheriff in my cellphone in case of emergency.  I need to add them to the favorites in my c550.  By law the County Sheriff is responsible for S&R in their county.

Hunting season is approaching and I need to stick the micro sd card back in with the topo maps on it. 

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:59:16 AM »
I (The wife & I) still don't own an automotive unit. Thought we could justifiy purchasing one last April when our youngest Daughter had her first child but her hospital was in the "more rural" Greenwood, IN area.

I will clue the Son & SIL in on the link you sent for the upgrades. The lifetime upgrade card would seem to be a good buy.