Author Topic: good scope?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline born-to-hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • .:Hunter:.
good scope?
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
I'm not sure if I should put it here or in the optics section but here goes I am planning on getting a .223 handi rifle and want to know about scopes for this rifle. I dont want specific scopes I would like to know more about what kind of scope like different magnification and what brands are durable and what kind aren't and all that good stuff I do not know a lot about scopes really thats why I need help I don't want to spend more than $100 also.

Thanx
Look a distraction!!!

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
Re: good scope?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:09:55 PM »
I like the Redfield scopes, but you will spend a little more than $100.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »
If I really have to I can save up for a scope over $100 but if I dont have to I would rather not oh and I am going t be shooting at maybe 400yds at the max but would like something that can shoot 500 or if possible 600yds but still be able to shoot close shots like 50yds

Look a distraction!!!

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
you know what deduct that to 300yds and mybe 400
Look a distraction!!!

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
I have a Centerpoint 4X16X40 I bought at Walmart for $80.00 if I remember right.  Not a bad scope.  Made by Leapers I believe.  It's AO, red and green lighted mil-dot reticle, good eye relief, and not so bad optics.  Not sure how well it would hold up to abuse, but I only use it on the range.  Worth a look see.  My next scope, however, will probably be a Redfield.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
The Bushnell Banner line, as well as some of the mid priced Simmons are good scopes for the money.  A 3X9, maybe a 4X12 would fill the bill for what you need.  The next step up would be the Burris Fullfield ll and the new Redfields, both in the $150 / $175 price range.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
Thanx guys so far I dont even have the .223 yet so I got time to figure what would be best scope wise
Look a distraction!!!

Offline whsk

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »
10-4 on the centerpoint-i had 2 gift cards that i needed to use so i have about 15 bucks of my money in it-69.95 plus tax-i am impressed with it and it is not easy to impress me anymore-does not feel cheap and is rated for air guns which is supposed to eat scopes-whsk

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:46:47 PM »
I have a Centerpoint 4X16X40 I bought at Walmart for $80.00 if I remember right.  Not a bad scope.  Made by Leapers I believe.  It's AO, red and green lighted mil-dot reticle, good eye relief, and not so bad optics.  Not sure how well it would hold up to abuse, but I only use it on the range.  Worth a look see.  My next scope, however, will probably be a Redfield.
i also second the centerpoint scope. it has been great so far on a 7mm short action ultra mag. i was sceptical at first but i really like it.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
with a 4x16x40 can you see clearly at 50yds or closer?
Look a distraction!!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »
Yea there should be no problem seeing 50 yards or less through a 4x16. I have bought a lot of cheap scopes over the years. I will just say you get what you pay for. I think you really don't get into half way decent glass until about the $200.00 mark. Take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
What is the difference between a $100 scope and a $300 scope if they're the same magnification? as you can tell I dont know crap about scopes lol
Look a distraction!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
Mueller APV for $115 shipped w/free sunshade, there are numerous previous posts on it, a great scope for the 223 and Handi friendly due to the small power ring that can be mounted lower and not interfere with the hammer.  ;)

Tim

http://muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440.html

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »
Typically the lower cost variable power scopes lose clarity at the higher magnifications.
I started with a 6-24 on my handi 223, then changed to a 4-12, which was plenty of magnification for a coyote at 250 yards, and for .22" holes at 100 yards. If Adjustable Objective is available, get it.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
thanx that scope looks realy nice
Look a distraction!!!

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
The difference in price usually reflects the quality of the coatings used on the glass.  Normally a larger objective (front) lens for a given magnification makes for a brighter image through the scope.  Many cheap scopes have poor light transmission through their lenses so they use a large objective to make the image bright enough to be usable.  This makes for a pretty heavy scope that also takes up a lot of space.  As you get into the better scopes, the lens coatings improve and the same or greater brightness can be achieved with a smaller lens and scope.  I got rid of a lower priced medium magnification scope after one tip to the range with a mid priced higher magnification scope.  The higher mag scope was brighter at every magnification and the image was much sharper as well.  I spent a little bit more still on the next few scopes and they are almost blindingly bright. 

Once you get into the $300-500 range for a no frills variable, the glass has gotten about as good as it can get.  A scope with a lot of features in that price range usually lacks in the glass.  Above that price range if you stick with good glass, you start paying for features, and the name.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 06:58:12 AM »
Thanx helotaxi I do need something easy on the eyes. I think i'll get one that is fairly cheap and then get a good one because I am about broke and also would like a muzzleloader before september.
Look a distraction!!!

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
Well, it is a little more expensive, but Midway has an exclusive (I know, I know all the Potterfield stuff) on a simmons 6.5 x 20 x 50mm that they have sold thousands of. In my opinion, it is a best buy, I have two (one is a 44).

They are solid with good, bright optics, and they track very well. The duplex is around 110, and the mil dot around 130.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 09:29:20 AM »
That scope looks like it would work great for me from your opinion how clear is it at different distances?
Look a distraction!!!

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
Both of mine are extremely clear.  Equally important is that they are very contrasty, particularly the 50mm.  Last, they seem to have excellent multi layer coating, because there isn't flare issues, even when the sun is pretty forward in its position.  Read the reviews, and note how many there are.  These compete well against scopes in the $300 range  (though a Weaver 24x T series when on sale is FABULOUS at around $320)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=746570
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »
You can buy a scope for around or less than $100, but you will be comprimising reliability as well as glass. 

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
Both of mine are extremely clear.  Equally important is that they are very contrasty, particularly the 50mm.  Last, they seem to have excellent multi layer coating, because there isn't flare issues, even when the sun is pretty forward in its position.  Read the reviews, and note how many there are.  These compete well against scopes in the $300 range  (though a Weaver 24x T series when on sale is FABULOUS at around $320)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=746570

would that scope be available at any local stores?
Look a distraction!!!

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »
No, it is a Midway, arghh, exclusive.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
That said, if you ordered it today, you'd have it, in all likelihood, by Friday.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »
Also, referring to your original post, it really depends a whole lot on what you are doing.  A variable, high power, adjustable objective is just the ticket for dog town.  You can scan the field, find the area you've spotted the furry little hole digger, then zoom in for the kill shot.  But, if you are poking holes in paper, a fixed power has bigger internal lenses, generally tracks better, and everything else similar, provides greater contrast because of those bigger inards.

Plus, fixed power scopes are very durable, because they don't have a slice halfway through the tube just in front of the ocular lens housing.  It is easier for a technician to line up a fixed power lens set during construction, because there are no "variables" in the geometry.  Last, even if you are talking about a deer slayer, if you are walking and generally banging the thing around, a good 4 power will get you to 200 yards, have gobs of FOV, and is super rugged. 

There just are very many fixed power offerings anymore, because the "market" wants variables (at least in some part because of ignorance regarding the added vulnerability to damage or lost accuracy inherent to sights with moving parts).

Hope that helps.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
You need a 3-9X40 Bushnell.  eBay is the cheapest source.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
If I mostly shot paper targets or varmints, I would take a chance on lower quality optics and it wouldn't be such a disappointment if the scope fogs, shifts, blurs, or simply fails.  No so for big game opportunities. 

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 04:32:54 PM »
I'm just going to be hunting small game (and coyote if thats considered small game) and paper. oh and I have a secret to beat fog on scopes all you do is put a very small smudge of shampoo on a cloth and rub it on your glass (I use it for a couple other things too binoculars, paintball mask, ect.) remember very small you dont want the fog to go away and then have a problem with shampoo in your way. although I can't help with the other problems with cheaper scopes.
Look a distraction!!!

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
BTH, then a 6 x 18 to 6 x 20 is, IMHO, about what you need.  If you are coyote hunting, then lens flare is important, so make sure that what you buy has ALL of the lenses multicoated.

As an affordable line of scopes, Bushnell can't be beat.  But, and again it is just my opinion, that ONE Simmons scope is freakishly good for the money.  I use it personally, and couldn't be happier.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
I would suggest going someplace that has a lot of scopes in stock. Make sure you have a good view out a window and try them at various ranges. You will see better brightness and clarity with the more expensive scopes. (Same with binoculars and spotting scopes). My suggestion is,try the cheapest Tasco (absolute junk as far as I'm concerned.I remember having toy microscopes by them as a kid) Then try a 2000 dollar scope. Then try one in between. You will see quite a bit of difference. The way I like to look at it,scopes range from a down payment on a car,to a car payment to a tank of gas for a car.