Author Topic: Dry Firing  (Read 875 times)

Offline WoodsRoamer

• Trade Count: (1)
Dry Firing
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »
I was showing my wife how to load, cock and shoot my (her ;D) 20 Gauge Pardner. I know dry firing a gun isn't a good thing but was wondering if you guys in the know know what the effects are if any  in the H&R's in particular. I did have an empty shell in thinking that might help. Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Dry Firing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:00:59 PM »
The owner's manual specifically states to not dry fire it, some members ignore it and say they have no problems, others have broken the firing pin  or transfer bar...best advice is do as you've been doing and use a spent case as a snap cap. I place a chunk of gum eraser between the hammer and transfer bar, then it cushions everything.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
The owner's manual specifically states to not dry fire it, some members ignore it and say they have no problems, others have broken the firing pin  or transfer bar...best advice is do as you've been doing and use a spent case as a snap cap. I place a chunk of gum eraser between the hammer and transfer bar, then it cushions everything.

Tim

Or just buy some 20ga snap caps.  They are cheap and usually colored so that they wont be confused with real ammo.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »

Or just buy some 20ga snap caps.  They are cheap and usually colored so that they wont be confused with real ammo.

And readily available everywhere....not!!  ::) I little bright paint or marking on the homemade snap cap will take the worry out of that, if someone can't tell a live round from a spent round, they shouldn't be handling firearms.   ;)

Tim

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
I have been making snap caps by drilling out the primer pocket of a spent shell with a 1/4" drill and pulling the eraser from a lead pencil and inserting into the hole. I trim it just a little above flush with the shell case and it works fine.  :)
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »
There are several methods of making snap caps in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline WoodsRoamer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 12:29:37 AM »
Thanks all for the great advice, I'll make a few homemade snap caps using erasers, sounds easy enough.

Craig

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:57:26 PM »

And readily available everywhere....not!!  ::) I little bright paint or marking on the homemade snap cap will take the worry out of that, if someone can't tell a live round from a spent round, they shouldn't be handling firearms.   ;)

Tim

"Sorry about your cat sweetie,I could have sworn it was a spent one!"

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:49:01 AM »
"Sorry about your cat sweetie,I could have sworn it was a spent one!"

Hehehehe.... reminds me of the movie "Boondock Saints"
If you haven't seen it you should... it's good.

Spanky

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »
One word of caution on dry firing. If you happen to have a versa pack 22 barrel mounted on a shotgun frame and you dry fire it the firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber and might cause some damage to it. Just something to be aware of.

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:06 AM »
Again, a spent case or snap-cap is all that's needed to protect the pin and chamber face.  ;)

Tim