Author Topic: .357 brass  (Read 707 times)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
.357 brass
« on: June 01, 2010, 05:30:37 AM »
I just started to load .357 Mag.  The only brass I could find was some JAMISON BRASS . When I got it was under sized out of the box. I loaded it with cast bullets and light .38 special loads. After firing it is now two large ,inside diameter. The  140 GR HP/XRP Hornady will just slide down into the case after running them through my sizing die.
   I have some Magtech brass , I bought a box of ammo at Wall-mart, again the only thing I could find.  It reloads ok .
   Have any of you had any dealings with this brass?  Then again it may not be the brass. I am open to any suggestions‘.
                                           Beerbelly

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: .357 brass
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:36:19 AM »
1. When you say under size, do you mean length or diameter? As long as the cases are all relatively the same in length, they should be OK. If they were undersized in diameter, did you expand the brass before loading or bell the mouth and just force the bullets in?

2. Are you sure you are using the sizing die to shrink the case back down? If you are then the wall thickness is very thin - more than likely too thin to be safe with any thing but the lowest pressure rounds. Double check that you are really using the correct die for sizing.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:54:46 AM »
Had a somewhat similar experience with 357 Maximum brass from Jamison. First time in my life that I am able to put a factory brass into a sizing die with my bare hand and not have any contact.

The Jamison OD measures .368" at the case mouth and the new Remington 357 Maximum I have since started using measures .373" OD.

There are a few other issues in quality I found but your question is just about brass OD size.

Bill

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
You hit it tho od of the .357 is suppose to .379 according to Lyman. thease are .374. Junk I will never by another peace of Jamison brass!
                                                        Beerbelly

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »
The only brass I could find was some JAMISON BRASS . When I got it was under sized out of the box
Send it too them, with a Note about what you got
 worst thing is they don't reply :o
 I would also print this post and send it along,
 so they know
you will let 1000's of good folk know how they are?or are not...... ;D
Tommyt
www.jamisoninternational.com/
You hit it tho od of the .357 is suppose to .379 according to Lyman. thease are .374. Junk I will never by another peace of Jamison brass!
                                                        Beerbelly

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:09:33 PM »
I've never even heard of Jamison before.

Starline is absolute top of the line brass and never a bad investment. I have used lots of RP, WW and FC brass as well that I got once fired. Hornady and Nosler brass are both of good quality as well. Most others I don't bother with.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:33:58 AM »
I've never even heard of Jamison before.

Me either, but I have to wonder if there are any ties between Jamison brass and Rick Jamison the writer for Shooting Times?  He was known for coming up with some off-the-wall inovations.

For the OP, sounds like a good idea to contact the manufacturer for an explanation.

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:21:43 AM »
                          I bought them  Graff and Sons, and they offered to refund my money if I will send them back. Nice people to do business with.
  I bought them because I could find no others. .357 is just not to be had right now.
                                  Beerbelly

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:59:11 AM »
I like the way MidSouth does back orders. You place your order and they will hold you in line until they can fill it. it took 9 months to get Remington 7 1/2 primers, but when they came in, I got a call asking if I still wanted them - heck yes send them on! Midsouth handles Magtech and Remington brass in 357. Their selection is not as good as some places, but like I said I sure like the way they handle back orders, very good people to do business with. Another big house brand just sends out an e-mail and if you are not quick enough (I never was), you just loose out.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

BTW I never heard of Jamison brass either. I do understand that desperate feeling when you need some thing and can't get it, any port in the storm, but some times that port ain't so friendly.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline grizz

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
Never heard of them either.. I buy ALOT of my brass from zero.. Once fired 357 mixed head stamp but never had a problem with them at all.. here is a link there bullets shoot very well as well and prices are great... http://www.rozedist.com/

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:06:41 AM »
 Usually if I need any brass I look over the classifieds at some of these outdoor sites. Most handgun is easy to find, even once fired from non-reloaders.
NRA, Veteran

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:30:51 PM »
Beerbelly,
 CK you PM's  ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.