Author Topic: cannon carrage build  (Read 649 times)

Offline shawnpwill

• Trade Count: (0)
cannon carrage build
« on: June 01, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »
I'm ordering a civil war siege howitzer barrel.  I have a fare idea about the parts of the carrage but would like some information from experiance builders as to wood types to use.  It will be functional as well as decrative.  It is my understanding that the two wheeled type with what looks like a draw bar that extends from under the barrel out the back for pulling and where the aiming is done from is the type I'm looking at.  I would like any education on this topic that I can get.  Thank you for all of your help.  Patrick

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: cannon carrage build
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
Welcome aboard, Patrick. Do you plan on making an exact (scale) reproduction of the proper carriage for an 8-inch siege howitzer, and are you getting the Model 1841, or the Model 1861 siege howitzer (both models were used during the Civil War)? Both models had the same diameter trunnions, and distance between the rimbases, so both were mounted on the U.S. 24-PDR Siege Carriage. SIEGE CARRIAGES
White oak was the wood used to make the real period siege carriages. SIEGE CARRIAGE DRAWINGS No. 80.

Model 1841 8-inch Siege Howitzer mounted on a Siege Carriage.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline shawnpwill

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
the barrel i'm ordering is 15" long with a 1.75" bore.  Looking to build a carriage like the picture.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »
Do you have a picture of the siege howitzer that you're getting?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:39:55 AM »
Look for the black powder Link list in the stickies at the top of board .  In the stickies find Antique Ordnance Publishers under cannon plans.  They have several folios with carriage plans.