Author Topic: Anyone own or fired one? looking for feedback - lever action Shotguns  (Read 714 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
I've been looking lately at Winchester  lever action shotguns, 1887's, 1901's
Does anyone own or have shot one and can provide feedback as to performance?
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
I got my dads 1887 12ga when he passed a couple years ago. I havn't shot much to talk about performance, but it does work well and patters good with long barrel. I am thinking on getting fresh stock for it as old one is pretty thrashed.
Thanks Don.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
My dad had one of them too.  It and his Model 12 are both long gone and I wish I had them.

There are much better modern shotguns to use as a daily shooter than the 1887.  I guess I might shoot it once in a while with mild loads, but for the most part I would leave it as it is and keep it as an heirloom to remind me of times in the field with my dad.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
IIRC the 1887 was chambered for a 2.5" or 2.6" shells, not the 2.75" we are all familiar with today.
Might want to check that before you try shooting it with full power loads.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
unfortunately my dad mistakenly shot a half box of magnums through his, some things are loosened up a bit.
thanks Don.

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
i had one for awhile and it shot fine with light 2.75 loads but the longer shells did not eject well after being fired.i believe someone is makeing a repro of the now.you might look at one of those.if yu go with a original gun you might want to look at useing brass cases with blackpowder loads. this is probably what the gun was designed for.