Author Topic: My Custom 26" 30-06 Ultra and 1st range report  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
My Custom 26" 30-06 Ultra and 1st range report
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:35:13 PM »
Just thought I would post some pictures for you guys of my new 26" 30-06 Ultra. I think Wayne York of Oregunsmithing did an excellent job with the 2 tone Cerrakote and with the colors he chose for my new Handi-grip stock and  Varmint forearm. I will be sending my Ultra scope base and rings along with the sliding rail of the forearm to be Cerrakoted and painted to match the stock since I forgot to tell him to do this like a dummy..Oh well..the older we get the more we forget.. :D :D :D

So..just a little info before the pictures. This rifle has the stainless trigger group offered for a little while by NEF on it and the trigger is tuned to 2 lbs with no creep in it at all. It still amazes me just how smooth Wayne has it set for me when I first sent it in to him a few years ago. I think the stainless really contrasts well with the receiver's color too.

Speaking of colors,the color for the receiver is called Sniper gray. It is a very dark grayish od green color that is hard to describe accurately.While not predominately green or gray,but a mixture of the 2 blended perfectly with charcoal tints. It is very smooth and rich looking all by itself and will be sending another barrel or 2 out to him to be done in this color.

The barrel color is called Matt Titanium. It is a much lighter color than many would choose but I can tell you this color doesn't flair anywhere on it in direct light or in sun light.It is noticeable but in a much more subdued manner than most stainless barrels I have owned in the past,and even against the receiver trigger group.

The stock colors is Wayne's Black and Grey spider webbed issue. This way he sprays this on doesn't really stand out as most other spray on type colors but I can honestly say I am quite impressed with how much extra gripping power you have with it,and by how nice it looks when in my hands.It is not gaudy in any way and is exactly the way a good spider webbed pattern is supposed to look. He did this one exactly the way he does for the much more costly Lazzoroni rifles he builds for that company..While this has improved greatly my holding power it isn't to the point of being painful against my hands by being sharp and uncomfortable,just the opposite.It actually feels better than before and is even quite comfortable on my cheek against the molded cheek rest that the stock sports.

The scope is  a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10x50 with the Rapid Z-600 reticle sitting in a set of Warne Maxima medium steel bases.These bases are plenty high enough to allow this scope ocular bell plenty of clearance with the attached thumb extension to cleanly operate with out any contact on the scope.

So..just to let you all know..I took pictures inside my home and out side as well, with and with out flash to try to show the true colors and as much detail as I could.I'm sorry for their quality since I am by no-means a professional photographer..

Here she is

Can't wait till I get it to the range..I got a lot of reloading to do over the next few days..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: My Custom 26" 30-06 Ultra
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
Awesome Mac, can't wait to see how she shoots!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »
Looks good Mac. ;D

Spanky

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
That is one fine gun you got there Mac.  I think that is the perfect rifle to give a a large MO whitetail a big surprise on opening morning. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »
Mac, sure looks good!!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »
Now that is one sweet looking Handi!

I love the color scheme you picked for the receiver and barrel. The spider web pattern on the stock is awesome too.  ;D

I'm jealous :o

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
That is one fine gun you got there Mac.  I think that is the perfect rifle to give a a large MO whitetail a big surprise on opening morning. ;D

BB

I could be wrong but I don't think it'll ever see the woods.

Spanky

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
I am soooooo jealous! ;D Man that is one fine handi.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »

Thanks Guys..She's a real good looking rifle and am looking forward to putting her through the paces over the next few weeks.

Spanky..it is my main rifle,so you can count on it going into the woods with me and along side many field edges as well ;)

BB..I agree I am hoping for it to be extremely accurate and hope to be able to put the cross hairs on a really big buck this season.Already told the wife I would find some place to go for a couple days,so she can have plenty of time to get used to the idea :D :D :D

Mac

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
I didn't mean that in a negative way Mac... I kinda figured it would be mostly a target gun. It would be a shame to get it scratched up in the woods. I like the colors Wayne used on it... it's a good lookin' setup.

Spanky

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »
I didn't mean that in a negative way Mac... I kinda figured it would be mostly a target gun. It would be a shame to get it scratched up in the woods. I like the colors Wayne used on it... it's a good lookin' setup.

Spanky

Ohh I knew what you ment Bro..and it will be used a-lot as a target gun too.The beauty of the baked on Cerrakote is it's tough as nails,and his paints are as well. I will be careful with it though,it's not a truck gun by no means.. :D :D :D

Mac

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:32:37 AM »
Nice Mac!! Ain't it funny how a little color and webbing knocked the ugly right out of that stock ;D Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 04:02:01 AM »

Spanky

Ohh I knew what you ment Bro..and it will be used a-lot as a target gun too.The beauty of the baked on Cerrakote is it's tough as nails,and his paints are as well. I will be careful with it though,it's not a truck gun by no means.. :D :D :D

Mac

Spanky  it is beautiful, but even the most expensive Browning I own which totes a Swarovski scope still sees the woods. It is a shame to put that much time and money into a gun that I can't hunt with IMO.

Oh yeah, Mac take care of her. Just because she is a tool don't mean she ain't a beautiful piece of work. Congrats!!!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:45:16 AM »

I took it across to let my next door neighbor drool look at it last night before I left for work..and he loved it and immediately wanted me to loan it to him...yea right...He loved the way it looked and the Ziess scope on it. He did make the comment that "dam that sure is heavy " and I never really gave any thought to it till I was at work. It really bugged me all night at work,so as soon as I got home this morning,I pulled out the scale to see just how much weight I was holding.It read 10.5 lbs. less 1 in the chamber.I was a little shocked because just how well it balances. I did real good on guessing where in the Epoxy mix I filled the stock up with before shipping out to Wayne to be painted I placed those 1 oz shot gun slugs,because this rifle actually balances just behind the hinge pin towards the stock. Being balanced as it is doesn't make it feel real heavy to me,but just right....With the weight thumbhole stock and good recoil pad,should be real easy on the shoulder to shoot even the most heaviest 30-06 loads from it.

Mac

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
Mac that thing is sweet.I know I have heard people say the scope should cost as much as the rifle, but man you could buy two maybe three Handy rifles for the cost of that scope! ;D Nice rig.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »
Thanks..

It took a lot of selling off to be able to have that scope..http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,203759.0.html and I am happy now that I made the decision to go ahead and go for one.I've always wanted a really good scope,and got a great deal on this one.

I remember a time many years ago when the old H&R forum was still going. I had talked about having a fully customized Handi and what I would like to have done to it,At that time the general consensus was that I was trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse,and would be fool hearty wasting my time and money on such a rifle.Many even went as far as saying that I would be better off investing in a good bolt gun since I could never get a Handi to equal one in any way. I thought those clowns were wrong then,and I know for certain they were now.I have always said you get out of them,what you are willing to put into them. ;)

Wayne took a very nice Handi,and crafted something extraordinary,so my choice of optics seems right at home on it. From the comments of those that have had a chance to handle it and look at it closely after shouldering it,they could not even believe it's simple origins of being just a Handi rifle. Most of my friends are as anxious to shoot it as I am  :D :D :D Hopefully this coming weekend I'll get a chance to take it over to our public 100 yard range just to send a few down range,my instincts is telling me I won't be disappointed..provided the weather co-operates. :D :D 

Mac 

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 05:36:56 PM »
That's lookin very cool Mac. 8)  I love the spider webbing on the stock. :-*  If she shoots as good as she looks, ya got a tack-driver settin' there. ;)  As to a silk purse out of a sow's ear, my 7-30 Waters and 30-30 AI are both re-bore, rechamber jobs out of 223 barrels.  If I want it and I can afford it, I get it, I ain't too sure about commin' back here after the last ride, gonna play while I can. ;D  You go Mac.  DP 
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 06:57:47 AM »
TOTALLY TUBULAR, DUDE

Offline terryr80rt

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
That is an great gun. Iwould like to now how much it cost you for the barrel? I want a Handi in 06 but I know a longer barrel will do better than the 22" they use as stock. I dont know why they dont make longer barrels for these guns. The 223 and243 could be just fantastic long range tack drivers. Oh buy the way I am new to the forum so if I sound new and go over stuff thats old hat to you folks I'm sorry. I us to own a handi in 45-70 but had to sell for bills after my daughter was born( a desent trade ) I'm looking to get a new one in 30-06 or 30-30.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 05:30:40 PM »
That is an great gun. Iwould like to now how much it cost you for the barrel? I want a Handi in 06 but I know a longer barrel will do better than the 22" they use as stock. I dont know why they dont make longer barrels for these guns. The 223 and243 could be just fantastic long range tack drivers. Oh buy the way I am new to the forum so if I sound new and go over stuff thats old hat to you folks I'm sorry. I us to own a handi in 45-70 but had to sell for bills after my daughter was born( a desent trade ) I'm looking to get a new one in 30-06 or 30-30.

Welcome to the forum

Since H&R has never made a 26" 30-06 Handi you will need to have a 26" 25-06 barrel to convert..so you will have to either buy a complete rifle or have a barrel fitted to a frame correctly. Once you have one then you can call and discuss what you want done to it with Wayne..Here is a link to his price list for services..http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/About-Us---Services.html. He does excellent work,and the wait involved is worth it IMHO.

Good Luck

Mac

Offline terryr80rt

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »
Thanks I'll start looking for one. I hear buds is good and I run through gunbroker all the time. And from the pics you have I would say that he does great work too.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »
Thanks I'll start looking for one. I hear buds is good and I run through gunbroker all the time. And from the pics you have I would say that he does great work too.
You won't be disappointed.....let us know what you get

Mac

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
We Need a Range Report!  ;D
found elsewhere

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
We Need a Range Report!  ;D

Soon ;)

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »

I am hoping to get to the range tomorrow for a preliminary trial of this baby. Started getting everything ready to go,and found my tri-pod in pieces for my chronograph  :'( and haven't got any reloads done up yet,too much OT at work and honey do jobs here this week to get them loaded  >:( So we will endeavor to get a couple boxes of factory through it tomorrow Lord Willing and the creeks don't rise with tonights storms that will be coming through ( and if my day shift relief man don't call in on me in the morning).

Mac

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »
Mac,
   I could be wrong and it's never all that good to speak for others so......I for one am not too worried about fps measurements, but rather c-t-c measurements.  ;)  Let's see how it shoots!

I have to admit, I think that is one ugly rifle :o, but I like it!  ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
Mac,
   I could be wrong and it's never all that good to speak for others so......I for one am not too worried about fps measurements, but rather c-t-c measurements.  ;)  Let's see how it shoots!

I have to admit, I think that is one ugly rifle :o, but I like it!  ;)

Thanks, Dinny

That's ok Dinny,it isn't everyones color or material choice ;) :D..When I have everything together to make another trip to that mad house they call a public range here..I'll let you know. I elected not to wait today for a hurried range session,with a bunch of $#@%$# as what I would have had I waited around..and I want to be able to chronograph everything including my reloads instead of just burning up factory ammo on it on it's maiden trip to the range,and set the Rapid Z reticle accordingly.I have some surgery scheduled for 8am tomorrow morning and if I feel well enough will try for Wednesday morning..keep your fingers crossed..

Mac 

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
Mac,

Good luck at the Sawbone.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
Thanks..not looking forward to it..but have to go antway :(

Mac

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »
Mac... good luck at the doc's... I hope everything is OK with you.
We might not see eye to eye on some things but I don't wanna see ya sick... who would I argue with then?? :D
Let us know how you make out.
Prayers goin' out for ya tonight. ;D

And when you get out of the doc's shoot that damn rifle will ya!
We wanna see some groups. ;D

Spanky