Author Topic: CVA Mountain Rifle  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
CVA Mountain Rifle
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
Who out there has one of the old CVA Mountain Rifles?

What calibre do you have?

And what have you hunted with it?
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
Re: CVA Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:29 AM »
Once, back in 1975 or so when I didn't know much about muzzle-loading rifles, I swapped a long Dixie rifle for one of these in kit form.  When I got it home I thought "what have I done now?"  I'd never put a kit together before. The learning experience came out OK, and the rifle shot both round balls and maxi's very well indeed.  Vermont didn't have a muzzle loader season then, but a couple of years there I did take it out on the final day of rifle season but never did get a deer.  I did fire it off in the freezing rain a couple of times to empty it for the year, after an all day hunt in miserable weather.  It fired fine.  Years later, when I moved to where I live now, work requirements hadn't been letting me do much ML hunting, but I did loan this gun out to a local guy who plows my driveway.  He's one of these country boys who shuts his service station down and gets deer about every year.  Next thing I knew he had nailed a big doe during the ML season, and kept begging me to sell him my gun.  This went on for about 3 years and an equal number of deer.  I eventually swapped him something for that gun.  I've read good and bad about these--but that Mountain Rifle of mine was reliable and accurate--and a lot better than the left-hand Lyman Great Plains Rifle that sits in my closet now.  Like anything, there's good ones and bad ones in about every make of rifle.  My experience with the old CVA Mountain Rifle was good--and my friend still has it.  He eventually bought an inline, experienced some misfires, and then went back to the Mountain Rifle and has been whacking down deer with it ever since.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:58:21 AM »
Rocky, I got carried away here and forgot to mention that my CVA Mountain Rifle was 50 caliber.   

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 06:40:02 AM »
mountain rifle was one of CVA best models offered back in the day. Anytime you think its a good deal, BUY IT. They keep going up in value, especially if they have the curly maple stock.

i have had the 45 - 54 percussion - 54 flintlock - 58cal percussion model and all of them were excellent shooting rifles.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:01 AM »
I have a .50 perc, & want to find a flinter now.  Good rifles.  Mike

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Just talked to the man at Deer Creek yesterday, I'm getting the .45 flinter kit for $300 + $12 shipping.  These have the Douglas barrels and are supposed to be the cat's meow!

Had an original CVA M/R kit I put together in the mid '80s.  Then I decided I wanted a Lyman GPR and sold it to finance the new one.  Now I wish I still had it!  It was .50 caliber percussion.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
wow thats an excellent price!  :o

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »
I bought a CVA Mountain rifle about 40 years ago when Minnesota had their first dedicated ML deer season. I have never used a cartridge rifle since. It was a "browned "barrel, set trigger , .50 cal., 1:66, twist with a pewter nose cap. I broke the "issued" wooden ramrod and replaced it with a 7/16" micarta rod with the issued brass tip. I still haven't had to replace that ramrod. I took off the issued rear sight and installed a slightly modified Williams peep. The set trigger was a problem in our December season because there wasn't room for a gloved finger to enter the trigger guard once the set trigger was cocked. I screwed in the set trigger adjustment screw so that it was out of the picture but then I had a 10 lb. trigger pull. I got used to that and when I tried my wife's Wolverine I lost a bear because I wasn't used to a standard trigger pull. I love my gun and am very glad that I decide on its purchase. The "browning has been worn to a fine patina but it still weathers nicely. I read about the curly maple stock and will take another look at mine because I think that is what I have.    Ken 

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:29:27 AM »
I'm to the point now of browning the furniture on the Deer Creek rifle I'm building.  It's taking patience, but I think I'll end up with another nice gun.  It has the pewter nose cap and butt plate which both polished up very nicely.  I had to fiddle with the lock as the cock didn't line up very well with the frizzen, and there was a fairly large gap between the frizzen and the lock plate.  It looks pretty good right now.  I need to get some 5/8" flints yet.  This lock is distinctly smaller than that on my Lyman GPR.  The triggers are too close to the seer on the lock.  I remember having this problem on my first mountain rifle also.  There I shimmed it out; this time I am trying to file the triggers for greater clearance.  I'll see how it works out.  Once everything is together I'll see about posting some photos.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 07:07:28 AM »
.50 nothing yet