Author Topic: Dog leg  (Read 599 times)

Offline clum sum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Dog leg
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »
I have a Hern barrel with a dom liner, after installing a vent liner I was cleaning the drill chips out. After My first realy good look down the bore I realized that it has a dog leg. I couldn't beleve it so I looked with a stright edge and it curves to the right. At mid point it looks to be out about 1/8" , up and down seems to be stright. Has anyone else had this happen with them?

A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Dog leg
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
It is not unheard of for barrels with cast in place liners to have distortion in the liner caused the heat of the liquid cast iron.  While undesirable, this probably would have no effect on the shooting of the barrel.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »
It is one thing to have the liner slip and be angled slightly.....
but he is saying it is warped at mid point, I would get a piece of
PVC  close to bore diameter (a little loose) and see if it will go
down the bore without binding if it goes all the way down you might
not have a problem BUT if it binds at mid point you have a problem,
I would call HERN and let them know this tube has issues and see what
they say.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »
I interpreted his post to mean that the liner had a steady curve, not a sharp bend.  I guess we need to determine which is the case.

Clum, have you rolled a shot all the way to the bottom of the bore?  Does it meet any obstruction?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline clum sum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:15:40 PM »
 I measured the bore at the muzzle and it comes out to 2.235, useing the 39/40 rule I calculate the ball to be 2.179. Not having a ball I made a disk that comes to 2.211 and 3/4 thick, mounted it on a stick and it will travel down the bore to the breech and back without hanging up. I wonder if I shoot from the bow will I hit Myself in the fantail.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
I measured the bore at the muzzle and it comes out to 2.235, useing the 39/40 rule I calculate the ball to be 2.179. Not having a ball I made a disk that comes to 2.211 and 3/4 thick, mounted it on a stick and it will travel down the bore to the breech and back without hanging up. I wonder if I shoot from the bow will I hit Myself in the fantail.

Sort of like the sub that sunk itself with it's own torpedo......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
 I wonder if I shoot from the bow will I hit Myself in the fantail.

I've shot beer cans down away from the wind from a frozen river.  With the wind is ok.  Against the wind (Iowa) they will land BEHIND you.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »

That's well and good for a flat disk which I wouldn't expect to hange up, but might not work for your round ball.