Author Topic: Concealed Carry rifles  (Read 4826 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Concealed Carry rifles
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
well,what do you think of the idea of a Romanian AK Draco Pistol or a AR-15 Pistol as a Concealed Carry Handgun or car gun?  

I saw someone with a JUMBO VERSIPACK and it looks to be about the right size to carry that kind of gun around.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Concealed Carry rifles
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »
some of us could pull it off   ;)    :D     ::)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
If my hood is so bad I have to carry heavy metal

Its either time to move to another hood, or use that metal

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:34:13 AM »
well,what do you think of the idea of a Romanian AK Draco Pistol or a AR-15 Pistol as a Concealed Carry Handgun or car gun?  

I saw someone with a JUMBO VERSIPACK and it looks to be about the right size to carry that kind of gun around.
Cmon J-dawg.....you live in Florida....how you gonna conceal something that size?????
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:46:52 AM »
For me a conceal carry weapon should be quickly accessible. Too much time involved in opening a backpack and getting out a rifle,, even a small one.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:54:41 AM »
In my speedo

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »
A friend who ranches South of Alpine, TX carries a folding stock short barrel (just legal) Remington, model 870 filled with 00 buck.  He is short, about 5’4” and a little on the “chunky” side.  He usually wears large shirts with the tail out, the gun is slung over his right shoulder before putting the shirt on.  He carrys this almost daily and swears it doesn’t get in his way while working. He also carries a Sig 229 in .357 with a couple of extra mags, if not on his person, close by.

When I asked about carrying the shotgun, he told me that “where my ranch is in relation to the border I get a lot of illegals crossing, they just seem to have more respect for the business end of a shotgun than a rifle or handgun. And it is a lot more impressive when facing 10-12 people.

He said the illegals have done massive damage to his property, killed prized cattle (a $18,000. Herford breeding bull) and just cut the back strap out leaving the rest for the vultures, trash and debris can be found over a large portion of the crossing route, when he catches them he herds them up and hauls them to the border patrol station between Alpine and Study Butte, he sometimes hold them overnight in an old stone building if the station is closed..  At one point the  illegals put a price on his head.. (The local law told him that detaining them hinges very close to kidnapping, but they would not prosecute since they (were illegal) and damaging his property.  Give thanks for the Texas Castle Doctrine. 8)

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:02 AM »

Cmon J-dawg.....you live in Florida....how you gonna conceal something that size?????

JUMBO VERSIPACK  or Monsoon Gearslinger.  I saw something about that in the G&A book of ar15 magazine when i was at work. They used a Sig 556 Swat Pistol.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline shot1

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:37:11 AM »
Since you mentioned CAR carry. Here in TN if you have a Handgun Carry Permit. It does not have to be concealed here, you can legally open carry if you want. They just passed a law that if you have a carry permit you can carry a rifle or shotgun in your auto,( now get this) as long is it does not have a round in the chamber. You can carry a handgun on your person or in your car with one in the chamber but not a long gun. Makes a lot of since doesn't it  ??? . Politicians and their infinite wisdom.  ::) 

Offline pneuby

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »
...a folding stock short barrel (just legal) Remington, model 870 filled with 00 buck.  ...He usually wears large shirts with the tail out, the gun is slung over his right shoulder before putting the shirt on....“where my ranch is in relation to the border I get a lot of illegals crossing, they just seem to have more respect for the business end of a shotgun than a rifle or handgun. And it is a lot more impressive when facing 10-12 people.

I just don't understand how he could manage that w/o looking like Quasimoto!  Seriously, why can't he just sling it in the open, if he's a rancher on his own property?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
There are on person CC guns then thre are in the truck CC guns . In Va. many places don't allow a loaded long arm. , Some don't allow them in hunting season but do other times , it gets confusing . Some like 30 round mag glocks , some simi M-11 , some other sold as handguns like AR pistols . Makes alot of sense really . You may live in a gated place but if you travel you may not know the danger you pass thru. Or you may be attacked on the road. In Va. there are alot of attacks/shooting on the road. Some no doubt aggresive drivers run a muck but others intent on carjacking or robery . A 30 round mag insures alot of ammo with out reloading while driving. Or if you break down in a less than ideal location a bit more than a J frame at hand could be a comfort. Even if rifles were allowed the compactness of the rifle in pistol form is a very useable weapon in a tight car or truck. Swings easier from one side window to another.  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
pneuby.  I'm sure he just slings it over the shoulder or leaver in the truck most of the time, but as I said, they put a price on his shead so he carrys it most everywhere he goes.  If it makes him feel safe I won't argue the point with him.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:18 AM »
There are on person CC guns then thre are in the truck CC guns . In Va. many places don't allow a loaded long arm. , Some don't allow them in hunting season but do other times , it gets confusing . Some like 30 round mag glocks , some simi M-11 , some other sold as handguns like AR pistols . Makes alot of sense really . You may live in a gated place but if you travel you may not know the danger you pass thru. Or you may be attacked on the road. In Va. there are alot of attacks/shooting on the road. Some no doubt aggresive drivers run a muck but others intent on carjacking or robery . A 30 round mag insures alot of ammo with out reloading while driving. Or if you break down in a less than ideal location a bit more than a J frame at hand could be a comfort. Even if rifles were allowed the compactness of the rifle in pistol form is a very useable weapon in a tight car or truck. Swings easier from one side window to another.  ;)

I like the AK  Pistol with a good sling on it. You pull that out and people get the point really fast. But man, i happy i am in FL.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 08:59:43 AM »
As an in vehicle weapon definitely but he originally asked about carying it around in a backpack. Maybe I just assumed he meant for it to be a personal carry weapon and I just don't see it as being practical for that.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline pneuby

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:55:36 PM »
Gotcha! ;)

Offline jimster

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Primary for concealed carry it would be too slow and clumsy for me, I'm not sure how much practice I would need to be able to draw something like that and hit my target in a hurry, I don't think I'd ever get close to what I can do with a normal sized handgun.  Car carry, well maybe anything goes, I'd opt for a handgun caliber myself instead of a high pressure bottle neck round, but maybe you live in a special place?  A 5.56 or 7.62 is going to fly a long ways and go through a neighborhood a long ways, so it doesn't sound so good to me, regular handgun calibers are hard enough to keep from going where you don't want them to go. I do understand having something more than a regular handgun for when your busted down in the middle of nowhere, I think I'd pick something in the way of a carbine for myself. In this state, I'd have to keep a carbine or shotgun in the trunk, but with a good handgun and a car that still runs, I should be able to get to the trunk without a problem to get that firepower.

For primary concealed carry on your person in the calibers those come in, and as clumsy as they would be, forget it.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
This was my "car gun" years ago when Texas "tavelling clause" was so vague and there was no shall issue CCW license.  Technically still a long gun so it was regulated much less closely than handguns in that day (25 years or so ago).

I know, not a rifle but carry strategy would be similar.  I can't see how it would have concealed without a trench coat though.  My use for it was in the back floorboard in easy reach when my young family was vacationing.  My kids were "gunproofed" at an early age so keeping it loaded around them was not a problem.

I have the same concerns as jimster on using a 7.62x39 round for civilian urban defense in anything other than a Katrina-like scenario.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 12:36:43 PM »
Clyde Barrow carried a BAR, Browning Automatic Rifle, under his coat.  I saw on the history channel, he shortened the stock, and put a small leather sling, that went over his shoulder.
So I guess it CAN be done.
" we are screwed "

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 02:56:39 AM »
He drove a big ford not a green car

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 09:57:53 AM »
"A big Ford?"  Go back and take a look at a 30s model Ford.............I've seen bigger Toyotas.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 10:01:52 AM »
some were large though with fast engines ! Hard to get a rifle in the econo boxes out there today  ;D

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
well,what do you think of the idea of a Romanian AK Draco Pistol or a AR-15 Pistol as a Concealed Carry Handgun or car gun? I saw someone with a JUMBO VERSIPACK and it looks to be about the right size to carry that kind of gun around.

Sorry, a Jumbo Versipack will not even come close. I can carry my G21 in the gun compartment, but nothing bigger. I have a Kel-Tec PLR-16 (the Lord only knows why I wasted money on that) and it wouldn't come close to fitting in the main compartment. You'd have to have some sort of backpack to stash one.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 05:32:07 AM »
I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, 9mm. I carry it in a factory case, looks alot like
a notebook computer. It has provisions for extra mags and fits well behind
the seat of my Jimmy. A big plus is that it is fun to practice with...thats what
I call it practice...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 07:08:23 AM »
If it was easyer to get(NFA rules) the Ares FMG folding submachine gun/ M-21  or the Magpul Folding Machine Gun(glock 18/17 handgun) would be the best Concealed Carry long guns. But we live in a post 87 world were you can't get those. :'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2EqFzPzn8 Magpul FMG9  featured on Discovery Channel's Ultimate Weapons

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 11:16:19 AM »
When did a Glock 18 grow to long gun ?

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
  • .:Hunter:.
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 11:28:02 AM »
I think if you wear an overcoat or something it can be pulled off

This was my "car gun" years ago when Texas "tavelling clause" was so vague and there was no shall issue CCW license.  Technically still a long gun so it was regulated much less closely than handguns in that day (25 years or so ago).

I know, not a rifle but carry strategy would be similar.  I can't see how it would have concealed without a trench coat though.  My use for it was in the back floorboard in easy reach when my young family was vacationing.  My kids were "gunproofed" at an early age so keeping it loaded around them was not a problem.

I have the same concerns as jimster on using a 7.62x39 round for civilian urban defense in anything other than a Katrina-like scenario.

Curtis

where did you get that pistol grip I havn't seen one that is wood like that and I like it
Look a distraction!!!

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »
where did you get that pistol grip I havn't seen one that is wood like that and I like it

Thanks for the compliment, I made it myself years ago when I had much more time than I seem to have now.  After the rough shape was made, the final shaping was all done by hand with sand paper while sitting in my easy chair watching TV with the family.

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
  • .:Hunter:.
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 06:04:13 AM »

Thanks for the compliment, I made it myself years ago when I had much more time than I seem to have now.  After the rough shape was made, the final shaping was all done by hand with sand paper while sitting in my easy chair watching TV with the family.

Curtis

OK it looks really nice good job ;)
Look a distraction!!!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
Rock an Curtis
If I was living down in them rocks I certainly would come up with a rig much as you boys have described.
As it is not a full time thing--this fall when my buddy and I roam from Del Rio to and thru the Big Bend--you can bet that the 870 will have a comfortable place in reach.
I also like the work done on the pistol grip.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
Yeah, that 870 went with me on trips even before I shortened it.  However, I wanted something that I could wield from inside the cab if need be, so when I ran across the riot barrel for $75 I jumped on it and went to work on that pistol grip.

A few years ago I showed the fellas in turkey camp that you could actually hit clays from the hip with it.  I didn't get to shoot it much after that, as everyone wanted a turn!

Most of my time out west and in the Big Bend has been on the motorcycle.  Hmmmm, maybe I need a motorcycle mount!! ;D 8) ;)

Curtis