Author Topic: handi .243- any good 100 grain bullets or are they to heavy for the twist  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
had a Xl7 with a 10 twist and it hated 100 grain bullets. even tried ballistic tip 95 and was better but still not what I was expecting. It loved 65 grain v-max. Looking to use this gun for deer only so what is the heaviest bullet anyone has reloaded with success for deer with good accuracy?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
had a Xl7 with a 10 twist and it hated 100 grain bullets. even tried ballistic tip 95 and was better but still not what I was expecting. It loved 65 grain v-max. Looking to use this gun for deer only so what is the heaviest bullet anyone has reloaded with success for deer with good accuracy?

I've always had good luck with the 95 grain bullets and everyone around my parts here use them with excellent results with their Handi's clean out to 250 yards on some really big deer too

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
100gr Speer and H4895 in my Superlight, shoots the first two in ¾", then the group opens up. One of my Ultra shoots 100gr Hi-Shoks/Power-shoks and 95gr Fusion well under 1",  no handloads in them tho. They're all 1:10" twist.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
Great to here. hopefully mine works as well when I get it back. Just sent the receiver in for a .243 which as of friday they said they had great stock in. Will try the 95 ballistics and the 100 grain horn interlocks I have and hope for some good results.

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
My Savage is a 1 in 10 twist and I've reloaded Hornady and Sierra 100 grainers for years. Shoots 'em in nice, small groups. I've also taken quite a few deer with 'em.

Offline PawPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Try 100 grain bullets and a slow powder.  My Savage likes Reloder 22 with 100 grain bullets.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
I may be wrong about the older savages but I think the new ones have a 1 in 9 1/4 twist instead of a 10 twist . I had thought about getting one for the extra stability with heavy bullets but went with the handi instead. I am looking forward to the new speer 90 grain deep curl bullets to become available. Hopeing if the 100 grainers dont fly well that is as low as i will have to go with weight in a soft point controlled expansion bullet.  Have the 95 ballistics as mentioned but have become skeptical of there performance as a fragmenter as the reviews on-line have been not so good.

Offline bearcub

I've tried 100's and my handi doesn't like them either.I use 80's for the deer and they don't seem to mind

Offline SmokeEater2

• Trade Count: (1)
I had a Handi in .243 that loved Remington 100 gr. SP's better than anything else I could feed it. Like an idiot I sold it to a buddy for his daughter to hunt with and I've regretted it ever since.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
I did some reloads using the Hornady 87 grain with IMR4350 excellent results.
I then tried the Hornady 100 grain SPBT and did not do well the best group maybe 3" from the bench
I then had reloaded some 95 grain noslers  ballistics tip BINGO one rag hole from the bench at 75 yards 40.9 grains IMR 4350 C.O.A.L. 2.700

Offline Kbis

My Ultra hates 100 grain stuff. Some of the factory loads key holed. It loves 85 grain Sierra Game Kings over IMR4831. The best group has been 7 rounds at 100 yards meassuring .395 (just over 3/8"). This load has taken several Whitetails.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
85 grain Sierra Game Kings
I yet to see a 243 cal. not like them:I have used them under IMR 3031 with outstanding results
I read a lot of great reviews on this bullet even deer over 200 lbs as long the bullet placement is in the boiler room
I may try them this season

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
I was also shooting the 100 grain btsp hornady with bad results in my last gun. I have the 95 ballistic tips and I have some h4350 so hopefully that will be the ticket. cant wait to get it back.