Author Topic: Natural Cover Scents  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Natural Cover Scents
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
Anyone else use natural, rather than store bought, cover scents? I tend to be old school when it comes to deer hunting and have been hunting over 30 years.  I usualy pack my hunting clothes in plastic unscented trash bags. Mixed among my clothing I put fresh clippings from Cedar Trees. By the time season rolls around the scent is very much impregnated into the cloth. It is strong, yet pleasant, smelling and can be refreshed easily by putting your clothing back in the bag after each hunt. You can also simply rub up against live Cedar Trees while hunting to further refresh the scent if needed. Even better that Cedar is wild Mint. It too not only has a strong scent but I'm convinced the smell actually attracts deer. Using this systom I've had deer get close enough to touch, using nothing else, and by just sitting still. Give it a try. It really works and doesn't cost but for the bag

Offline born-to-hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • .:Hunter:.
Re: Natural Cover Scents
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
I gotta pine tree I live next to I think I am gonna try this. Thanx
Look a distraction!!!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »
I don't do the cover scent thing. I am of the opinion that its like Glade in the bathroom, smells like someone crapped a rose bush in here. I am however concerned about scent. I use the fancy clothes wash and rinse in baking soda and line dry. I bought into the carbon suit thing but doubt it will be replaced. I am washing before any trip into the woods. I do use plenty of the scent killing sprays as well.

The closest I'll get to a cover scent is to take the leaf litter and rub that into my clothes from the knees down. That is about it and I also make sure it's not maple leaves if I'm going into a corn field too. I'm hoping to be a scent "hole", not a scent that though natural is out of place. You go to a car dealership and expect to smell solvents in the shop but not in the salesroom. It's not exactly a wrong smell but not quite right either.

Then again I do a lot more hunting than field dressing.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
I got some carbon base slayers but I just seen a thing not too long ago that scent killer doesn't work like they say but it does work to a certain point so i'll keep using that and some spray and I also wash my clothes with baking soda.
Look a distraction!!!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »
Why my method works so good is really simple. First, both Cedar and Wild Mint are very strong smelling, and second, both are natural smells the deer are completely use to. Unlike many of the scents you buy. Nothing at all to spook the deer.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »
have you tried oak trees and acorns from red oaks with your clothes I know thats something deer really like will that be strong enough though?
Look a distraction!!!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 05:49:32 PM »
White Oak Acorns are a deer's favorite food above anything else other than maybe clover. Acorns by themselves just don't have a strong enough, nor lasting, smell. However, I have a friend that boils them down to a concentrate and then pores the liquid into spray bottles. It has a very sweet nutty smell. It works pretty darn good as a cover scent and as an atractant too.  You're using your brain. Just try to think of things in your area that deer love to eat or that have a strong smell that won't spook deer. Best when you have both combined. Give it a try off season to see if it works. Just sit still and see how close deer will come to you without realising your there. Heck, using Cedar, I even had a doe come right up to me and pee on my boot while 4 other does and two fawns browsed within 5 to 10 yards for 30 minutes. They only spooked when I suddenly waved my arm. Then they almost fell over each other in surprise while trying to vacate the area post haste. lol

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
Is it white oak? thought it was red huh I dont know but that sounds very exciting having a deer so close for bow season I will be in a tree and in less deer start climbing trees i'm not going to be that close I need a attractant if anything really
Look a distraction!!!

Offline Jane308

• Chicken egg experiments
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »
I use scent eliminator on hunting clothes. No spray.

Pine tree stand got me my first deer, roll in the dirt if I ground hunt.
I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.   - Clint Eastwood

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
i'll use the spray sometimes but not always sometimes I will use the acorn scent
Look a distraction!!!

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 01:32:08 AM »
Different strokes for different folks.    Never did anything special. Clean clothes and
be aware of the wind direction.  As with you guys if it works............and it has, stay with it.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 02:41:30 AM »
I go to the woods clean, descented to the extent that I can, wash clothes in baking soda, sit on stand, shoot a doe (meat hunting), gut and skin the doe, then use the scent impregnated in the clothes from cleaning the deer to mask me for the rest of that day.

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
Put my hunting clothes in a tote with woods dirt and leaves after hunting season. Usually some fresh pine chunks Leave until hunting season. Back into the tote at the truck after the hunt. Works well

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
Forty years ago I tried cedar oil, peanut oil (I hunt in peanut country), and even rubbed raw onions on my boots.  These were attempts to achieve a natural odor.  I doubt any worked.  I've tried all the doe pee and rut sent lures and I think they have a limited value.  No real defense for a wrong wind so plan accordingly. 

Sometimes when a plan comes together, I get to smell gunpowder.  It's my favorite scent.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »
I know a couple Canadian bear outfitters who spray a little Deet around the baits so as to acclimate the bears to the smell, since most all clients on spring hunts are using insect spray containing 100% Deet.  Seems to work.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
My hound prefers to roll in turkey crap to cover her scent , guess you could try that , seems to work for her.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline born-to-hunt

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »
My hound prefers to roll in turkey crap to cover her scent , guess you could try that , seems to work for her.

wild or farm raised crap? ;D
Look a distraction!!!

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 05:45:04 AM »
Anyone else use natural, rather than store bought, cover scents? 
When I don't draw Black Powder Elk, I go archery. I know that I'm refering to elk...but the same can be used for deer.

When I get to where I'm going to hunt, I would clip the low growing creeper evergreens and break them up and stuff them into my shirt and trousers. This will impart a very strong pine smell into the clothing. I also use a cow elk urine...in combination they have worked very well.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"