Author Topic: Chinese Farmer fires home-made cannon to defend land  (Read 942 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Chinese Farmer fires home-made cannon to defend land
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
Or, KABOOM! waiting to happen:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100608/od_nm/us_china_cannon

BEIJING (Reuters) – A Chinese farmer has declared war on property developers who want his land, building a cannon out of a wheelbarrow and pipes and firing rockets at would-be eviction teams, state media said on Tuesday.

An item of interest only. If this is beyond the bounds, I will not be the least upset if it goes away. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline hillbill

Re: Chinese Farmer fires home-made cannon to defend land
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
heck yu got to admire his can do attutude.i wouldnt want them to take my farm either.the chinese aint a whole lot diff than us, sum have bought into the goverment rules thing and some are just as redneck as us and aint gonna put up with it. well of course they all end up dead, well thats the diff, but yu know what i mean?

Offline barefiel76

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
SO, I'm standing my garage looking at the wheel barrow, some pipes and boards. I am trying to think outside the box, but clearly I am not a Chinese cannon building MacGyver.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
SO, I'm standing my garage looking at the wheel barrow, some pipes and boards. I am trying to think outside the box, but clearly I am not a Chinese cannon building MacGyver.

Such a temptation to make an off-topic sarcastic political comment here!  (I'll restrain myself.)

Are those pre 1898 pipes?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »
Maybe it is a reproduction pre-1898 wheelbarrow.

Such a temptation to make an off-topic sarcastic political comment here!  (I'll restrain myself.)

Are those pre 1898 pipes?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 07:35:50 PM »
I got the impression from the article that he built a Chinese peasant version of a Stalin Organ; an artillery piece of a sort but one that fires rockets instead of shells.  Much more practical for a wheelbarrow and pipes.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
Love his gumption, a real "Get er Dun" kind of guy! So, do they have "Second Amendment Rights" in China? Do they follow the 1898 Rules and Regs? Fun story! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:15 AM »
Love his gumption, a real "Get er Dun" kind of guy! So, do they have "Second Amendment Rights" in China? Do they follow the 1898 Rules and Regs? Fun story! BoomLover

Out in the Providences some of the tribal peoples (Mongolians)  are allowed muzzle loading percussion smooth bores
but being a restrictive Communist country firearms are in the hands of the police & military I am surprised that the military
has not become involved in this matter....... this will probably end badly with the gang coming late at night to "relocate him"   
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:45:20 AM »
Here it is. Looks pre 1898 to me.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
Who knows, I wonder if Cannonmn was called in to serve as an advisor by our Chinese brother cannoneer on his "Organ Gun" build?

[yt=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cbvbLCs7iJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cbvbLCs7iJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

I don't recall noticing this the first time around, but on seeing this vid again it sure seems like Ed is taking a big chance walking in front of this multi-barrel gun after all 4 tiers were fired, because if I'm not mistaken that's an uninterupted camera shot; from the firing, to him walking up to the target.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 09:38:46 AM »
Looks like at least four of the farmer's barrels blew up..... notice the bottom right side.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »
Either that or he ran out of pipe; after all, it sometimes seems like at least 99% of all products manufactured in China must be exported to the US.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:44:58 PM »
I dont think so, we got at least half of their low quality products here in sweden
where is all other low cost products that was sold earlier ??
at least some of them had a decent quality
but china will be an dangerous industrial nation in 10-20 years time
most people laughed at the japanese quality in the late 50:s and early 60:s
who do that today ??
when the chinese learned that quality is better than quantity they will own the world
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 02:02:19 AM »
I remember the phrase 'cheap Japanse junk'.  (Late 1950's)

Which soon changed when they improved their quality control.

IF China is resonsive, a big if, they too COULD be a formitable manufacturing power.  Right now, the issues ARE both quality and distance to ship.  Distance to ship influences minimum quantities which drasticly reduces flexibility in making manufacturing changes - a critical issue in our business of making motors that are specialized to individual applications.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:30:44 AM »
China is already manufacturing some very high quality goods but I think most people are more familiar with the crap.
They do have a manned space program and their not shooting them guys out of bamboo tubes.
The Chinese are fully committed to becoming the world super power of manufacturing and are constructing entire cities to accomplish this.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:47:51 AM »
China is already manufacturing some very high quality goods but I think most people are more familiar with the crap.
They do have a manned space program and their not shooting them guys out of bamboo tubes.
The Chinese are fully committed to becoming the world super power of manufacturing and are constructing entire cities to accomplish this.

They have a fully manned space program thanks to werner von Clinton who handed the tecnology to them on a silver platter....or else they would be shooting them out of bamboo tubes.