Author Topic: CLOSE RANGE OPTICS?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Merle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
CLOSE RANGE OPTICS?
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
Greetings,

As my eyes go downhill I'm having more trouble seeing .22 LR bullet holes in the black.

I have several different sets of good optics, but none of them will focus at 50 ft (or less) as used at the indoor range.

That's mostly what I am shooting these days, and it is really time consuming to reel the target back & forth to see how I am doing. I shoot a lot of Postal Matches, so must use the proscribed target - color change targets are not an option there.

Anybody know of anything that will focus down to 21 to 50 ft?

Thanks.

??? ??? ???

Offline whsk

Re: CLOSE RANGE OPTICS?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
check "airgun" scopes like the centerpoint sold at Wal-mart-they will focus up close and personal-whsk

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure any adjustable objective or side focus scope will get you down to 50 ft.  I'm not sure about 21 though, better check it out before you buy.  I have a cheap BSA 6 x 24 on my .22 and its great indoors at 50 ft.

Jim

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »
are you looking for a scope or a spotting scope? If its a spotting scope and your only looking at 50 feet give a good pair of center focus binoculars on a tripod a try. Bottom line is most optics are made to look at things far out not close in.
blue lives matter

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
check "airgun" scopes like the centerpoint sold at Wal-mart-they will focus up close and personal-whsk

Never thought about them - thanks!

:) :) :)

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure any adjustable objective or side focus scope will get you down to 50 ft.  I'm not sure about 21 though, better check it out before you buy.  I have a cheap BSA 6 x 24 on my .22 and its great indoors at 50 ft.

Jim

I don't have one of those, but will look at them in the shop - thanks!

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
are you looking for a scope or a spotting scope? If its a spotting scope and your only looking at 50 feet give a good pair of center focus binoculars on a tripod a try. Bottom line is most optics are made to look at things far out not close in.

I am looking for either a spotting scope, or binoculars, whatever will focus in close. Some of the Postal Matches I shoot require one shot per target. or hits in sequence, etc, and it becomes quite a penalty if you take extra shots. Currently I have to reel in the targets to see just where & what I have hit, and that wastes time.

I have four pairs of binoculars and two spotting scopes and none of them will give a clear picture at 50 ft, let alone closer.  suppose that is a statement on my eyesight, so ....

Thanks for the response.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:41:14 PM »
The Nikon ProStaff 16-48 x 65 can focus down to 13 feet (I've tested mine to a bit closer than that, but not much).  Might be a bit pricey for what you want though, they go for close to $400 (somewhat less depending on where you shop).  Could be something better suited to you, check out riflescopes.com and look at their specs (they should list a close focus distance) then shop around.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »
The Nikon ProStaff 16-48 x 65 can focus down to 13 feet (I've tested mine to a bit closer than that, but not much).  Might be a bit pricey for what you want though, they go for close to $400 (somewhat less depending on where you shop).  Could be something better suited to you, check out riflescopes.com and look at their specs (they should list a close focus distance) then shop around.

Just a Shooter

Yeah, $400 is out of my price range.
Riflescope dot come, eh?
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:47:21 AM »
Im going to make a suggestion i should burn in hell and really dont know if they would work but have you tried something like those auto focus jason binoculars. I ride my dad and brother in law constantly about those pieces of *** but they may work in your circumstance. You also might want to try a lower magnification binocular like a 5x. All else fails and you have power mount a light shinning on the back of your target ;D
blue lives matter

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:30 AM »
Im going to make a suggestion i should burn in hell and really dont know if they would work but have you tried something like those auto focus jason binoculars. I ride my dad and brother in law constantly about those pieces of *** but they may work in your circumstance. You also might want to try a lower magnification binocular like a 5x. All else fails and you have power mount a light shinning on the back of your target ;D

I've never heard of Jason brand, but from your description I gather they have a "less than spectacular" reputation. I'm going to go down to Bass Pro & look at their selections, as the lowest power binocs I have are 7x35. This is at a commercial range, so I don't have the option of mounting anything, anywhere, so I am SOL there.

I hope you don't get too toasted for this suggestion!!!

Thanks.

;D ;D ;D

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 04:19:16 AM »
I use a weaver rimfire scope 3x9 with an adjustable objective.  I like it very much as it's on a special edition 10/22 that is kinda euro looking and a scope with more power would "overpower" the rifle in size.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 04:47:07 AM »
I use a weaver rimfire scope 3x9 with an adjustable objective.  I like it very much as it's on a special edition 10/22 that is kinda euro looking and a scope with more power would "overpower" the rifle in size.

OK, thanks.
It sounds as if an adjustable objective scope will do the job.
I never messed with one before, so am pretty un-familiar with how they work.

;D ;D ;D

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »
Hey Merle,

You set the power and then adjust the obj lens till you get a clear site picture.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
they sure dont impress me! Take a look at stiener i know they make a 6x

I've never heard of Jason brand, but from your description I gather they have a "less than spectacular" reputation. I'm going to go down to Bass Pro & look at their selections, as the lowest power binocs I have are 7x35. This is at a commercial range, so I don't have the option of mounting anything, anywhere, so I am SOL there.

I hope you don't get too toasted for this suggestion!!!

Thanks.

;D ;D ;D
blue lives matter

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »
Hey Merle,

You set the power and then adjust the obj lens till you get a clear site picture.

Sounds simple enough, I should be able to manage that.

Thanks

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 07:44:13 AM »
Just putting it out there, but you might want to check out some of the Mueller offerings. The have a close Paralax and there is nothing but good things about them. If it doesn't work out, they will make it right with you, very good customer service.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

-Aaron

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 10:39:01 AM »
Just putting it out there, but you might want to check out some of the Mueller offerings. The have a close Paralax and there is nothing but good things about them. If it doesn't work out, they will make it right with you, very good customer service.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

-Aaron

I'm not familiar with them either, but will check them out.

Thanks