Author Topic: What ballistic data is kept on new handguns?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
What ballistic data is kept on new handguns?
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
As you know with the purchase of a new handgun, there is a spare fired cartridge that comes with it in a brown envelope.  The instructions say that this is for use in select states that want a record of the spent case for crime solutions.  I had read one guy say that they also photograph the fired bullet, and put it into a data bank.  That is new to me, if it is true.

I also read from the NRA that Kalifornia is trying to have serial numbers on the bolt face imprint the head of fired cases and put into a data bank, so that if the semi-auto pistol is fired they can trace it back to the most recent owner, but that the technology does not work.  Seems to me that this would not work with a revolver, unless the crook dumped the fired cases on the ground.

Do they really save the fired bullet and put the rifling marks into a data base, and why don't they do this with rifles?   

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: What ballistic data is kept on new handguns?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:35:01 AM »
 Only a few states have laws where the fired case is stored for possible data retrieval to investigate a crime. If you look at statistics this has helped in very  few instances. It's just another cost, & hassle added to firearms ownership, the CA 'micro-stamping' is more. If the antis can't go directly after guns they will muck up the cost & regulation of ownership. The water slowly heats & many don't feel the temperature rising.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 01:53:35 AM »
Chris:  there are a few, and I mean 'few' states that require fired cases from new pistols for ballistic identification - neu yawk is one of them and the program that has cost ny taxpayers over $7 million/yr has not yet come up with so much as one hit since its inception - now that is a huge waste of taxpayer $ and police time and effort, but not for politics, that's how they make their living. 

As to the bullet - waste of time on a gimmick thought up by stupid politicians.  Anybody wanna try and trace the rifling on a 45 slug when you can purchase interchangeable barrels for under $50 - not that it matters to law abiding gun owners.  Tracing rifling is only good for revolvers without interchangeable bbls - most autos can be changed unless they have a fixed bbl. 

The kalifornika micro-stamping technology you read about has failed to be implemeneted because it won't work - the numbers the politicians want on the fired casing do not always imprint and there isn't any way to fix that problem.  nj has the same requirement, when the technology becomes availalbe but it isn't here yet. 

Politicians want foolproof police technology which they cannot achieve but they are willing to put the screws to the law-abiding gun owner in the process.  Notice they haven't yet tried this with rifles - most rifle slugs pass on through and are not recovered but there are also more millions of rifles out there nobody will ever bring forward and it goes further toward the type of confiscation scheme that people will rebel against if they try.  Politicians are such idiots and they continue to prove that every day.

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
I take the single brass and throw it in with the rest to be reloaded.

Offline bubbinator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
This a typical idiot liberal proposal that demostrates their complete lack of knowledge on the issue.  Maryland in particlular spent Millions of tax dollars on this program, over the objections of the "real police". The political suck-up chiefs of police supported it.   Not a single crime was solved, REPEAT-Not a single crime was solved via this "technology" in 5 yrs!.  It has been proposed elsewhere, but rejected. As a 42 yr. LEO, I know forensics does a major job solving crimes, but 98% of legal guns are not used in crimes, so it is a vast waste of money.  The evidence at the scene will provide the information to solve the crime, not the "pre-indictment" of the people. If this "imprinting"technology is applied it will raise the cost of guns and ammo so high it will indirectly prevent firearms ownership( Isn't that a slick political way to ditch the 2nd Amendment!)  Forensics works, but "we" didn't do anything to be subjected to it!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
bubbinator:  welcome to neu yawk....................

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
I live in NY State (not city). I was registering a pistol and asked in all these years how many criminals were linked to the casing. The guy told me one and the evidence was thrown out since the science was flawed. They are trying to pass micro stamping in NY which will cost millions. The state is on the verge of bankruptcy but this seems at the top of their agenda.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »
The politics and politicians in this state are the worst they have ever been and this state is the laughing-stock of national politics.  I am so frickin' embarrassed by the clowns we have supposedly running our government and now this low life nyc politico, espada, vows to bring the government down by voting down all emergency spending measures.  Much of this national embarrassment is his fault after trying to lead that failed nyc based political coup. 

This is sorry to the point where we need a formal revolution.  Not something upstart-ish, but truly formal - ya know, massed men at arms marching on albany, martial law, buses waiting to take the politicians back home or to send them all to nyc, suspending and disbanding both houses, free elections within 6 months.  We have to get rid of these foul sobs before we have to go to war.  End of story.

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 10:56:08 PM »
By some stoke of cognizance, the NY Legislators failed to pass this.  How many times does it take to tell a dumbass something like this doesn't work ? LE agencies around the world rejected this, yet Dumbocrats  w/o a clue on gun issues still persue it. For all their millions of dollars in technology, a bad guy with Dremel Tool  in 10 seconds can make them look stupid. Do they care ? Not. Send some one to represent you who is not stupid.  That is your challenge!

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
Now the brainos in NYC have come up with something even better. They want to pass a law that police are not allowed to shoot to kill anymore but must shoot the criminal in the arm or leg. If, they hit the criminal in any other part they could be brought up on charges. I'm wondering if the air in NYC may be the cause

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »
Now the brainos in NYC have come up with something even better. They want to pass a law that police are not allowed to shoot to kill anymore but must shoot the criminal in the arm or leg. If, they hit the criminal in any other part they could be brought up on charges. I'm wondering if the air in NYC may be the cause
NYPD has a hard enough time hitting center mass after chasing a criminal for a block or two.  Aiming for the arm or leg is going to have more wild shots headed all over the city and creating colateral damage.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »
I think that blind governator of ours once asked the nypd if they could use non-lethal bullets.  Ah politics....

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »
If I was a cop in a liberal area like NYC with ridiculous rules like "only shoot em' in the leg", I would just kick back and let the liberals rob/kill each other.  Doing the job of law enforcement under such rubbish would not be possible.  Just collect my paycheck and stay out of harm's way. 

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
I live in Al, where for a small fee($20-25) and an NCIC check anyone without a felony or domestic violence conviction is issued a Concealed Weapon permit. As a retired LEO my Sheriff issued mine for life for free, per his policy).  About two yrs. ago mystate senator proposed a similar proposal for AL.  We flooded his office with calls, emails, letters and it never passed in session.  Thank God his non-deserving corrupt A@* has been indicted in a Gambling Corruption investigation and I pray he goes to jail!  Thank God the 2nd Amendment is alive and well in AL!