Author Topic: Lubesizer die size for .44?  (Read 518 times)

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
Lubesizer die size for .44?
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »
I've got a .429 sizer, but my bore slugs out to .430 in two Rugers.  I was going to order a .430 but ran across a trade for a .432.  Is it that too big?  My cylinder throats are also .430 (wonder of wonders for Ruger :P).
thanks in advance!
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Lubesizer die size for .44?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:17:43 AM »
some guys will argue with me but bigger is not allways better. For the most part i use a 430 and 431 depending on which a particular gun likes better. 429 has never been exceptional for me and 432 hasnt either. Never know though as your gun may be the one that loves a 432
blue lives matter

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:31:41 AM »
 Well,
I just cast some 265gr WFN's and it occured to me to check the unsized diameter.....which just happens to be .432!  I'm going to seat the gas check on a handfull without sizing and hand lube them, shoot a few and see. If they're good, I guess the .432 die will just do the same thing...crimp the gas check and lube the bullet.  I've got a Blackhawk .44 Special and a Redhawk Hunter in beautiful blue to test em on, maybe one or the other will think they're candy. ;D

Offline Default_Required

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »
Joe,

Do be sure to update us on this , I have a good hand full of .432 Beartooth bullets just for my 444 marlin with the micro groove and have been reluctant to launch any from my SBH. If yours shows promise then i might be a little more inclined to try it but I really didnt like the long wait for my projectiles and wouldnt want to waste any , especially after the accuracy the 444 has shown with them.

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:18:56 AM »
Well, I got a .430 sizer instead,  and sized some, and I just seated the gas checks on the unsized .432 bullets and fired off a set of each.  I couldn't tell any difference in accuracy, both shot about the same.  This was only tried with 10 of each with a  loaded with Unique, so probably not a definitive test.  Maybe if someone who could actually shoot tried the same thing it might be. ;) But, being lazy like I am, I'm just going to use the .430's until I run across another couple of sizers....431 and 432, then I might do some exhaustive testing.  However, I exhaust pretty quick.....