Author Topic: Deer hunting advice??  (Read 884 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Deer hunting advice??
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
Hello fellow deer hunters,

I have been given permission to bow hunt in-town and need some advice.  The plot of land is 55 acres. It is farmed by someone that lives close to me. It has a strip of trees, lining the creek, running through the middle of it. On both sides of the creek are the crop fields. There seems to be a small woodlot on the North end of the property, but I'm not certain it is apart of the same plot. Deer have been spotted back in the field just after the crops were harvested.  According to the farmer, there is a fair amount of deer sign back there.  I will try to post a Google maps photo for you to look over.  I know the deer have limited cover and food, but I'm not sure if it is enough cover to bed down in and stay close to.   I live less than 1 mile away from here and plan to walk there and check things out this weekend.

Lemme know whatcha think.

PS: I opened the attachment with Adobe Reader 9.3

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Deer hunting advice??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
you might try walking both banks of the creek and see if deer are crossing the creek at funnel points. namely shallow areas where they can cross easily and get up the banks easily. however they will climb a pretty tall bank but it will be obvious by tracks where they are doing it.however here in my area what they are dooing right now may not be what they are doing in the fall.walk the whole area and maybe yu will jump sum bedded deer.recognize the bedding areas and figure how they are getting to and from them.the srrounding area looks pretty populated, if so the deer may have a safe haven where your hunting.scout lightly and early, set your stands and dont stink up the area.let us know what you find!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
you might try walking both banks of the creek and see if deer are crossing the creek at funnel points. namely shallow areas where they can cross easily and get up the banks easily. however they will climb a pretty tall bank but it will be obvious by tracks where they are doing it.however here in my area what they are dooing right now may not be what they are doing in the fall.walk the whole area and maybe yu will jump sum bedded deer.recognize the bedding areas and figure how they are getting to and from them.the srrounding area looks pretty populated, if so the deer may have a safe haven where your hunting.scout lightly and early, set your stands and dont stink up the area.let us know what you find!

I'm hoping for the "safe haven".....Little will they know or expect me to be there.  ::)  I'll post a follow-up when I've had a chance to thoroughly scout the area. One thing that concerns me is that there will be less foliage in the Fall and Winter.  The deer may not feel as protected/concealed then.  Neither will I either...... :-\  I don't like spectators...... >:(

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
Dinny-
On a small piece of land like that you should be looking for a few points of entry where you can arrive AND leave undetected depending on wind direction. Deer are spooky when they are out into a field or food plot with no cover. If you bump them going in or leaving when they are in the field , they will turn nocturnal. I think you are better off finding access points rather than looking for ambush points. Once you find a few spots and can start patterning the deer, then you can find a spot or two to set up a bow stand.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
Dinny-
On a small piece of land like that you should be looking for a few points of entry where you can arrive AND leave undetected depending on wind direction. Deer are spooky when they are out into a field or food plot with no cover. If you bump them going in or leaving when they are in the field , they will turn nocturnal. I think you are better off finding access points rather than looking for ambush points. Once you find a few spots and can start patterning the deer, then you can find a spot or two to set up a bow stand.

Depending on when the crops are harvested, I don't think access points will be hard to find. The prevailing winds from the North will allow me to walk the short-way to a stand, hopefully not being detected. It all really just depends on where the deer are bedding and where I can stay concealed.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
if there are any suitable trees (straight, 18" or so diameter) I say get a climber. before the season go climb a tree and hang out and scope it out. 

when you find your spot, make your trail in and out so you can come and go with out making a lot of racket.

plan everything ahead of time, where will you park, where to go in, etc

you don't want to stink up the place but take a look around.  does are with fawns right now and walking all over the place.  they will just walk off and not get too upset.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »
I got a few pics from my camera to share.

Thomas Paine

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »
Looks like you might want to find a source for butch paper and freezer tape.  Nice looking buck.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »
Looks like you might want to find a source for butch paper and freezer tape.  Nice looking buck.

It's only July, do you think his rack will continue to grow more this year?

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
Stay away from the property as much as possible.  The less you walk it, the better unless you are allowed to put out bait.  Good luck on opening day.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
Stay away from the property as much as possible.  The less you walk it, the better unless you are allowed to put out bait.  Good luck on opening day.

I'll do my best. I gotta change the SD card every so often and, sooner than later, I will have to refill the dog food container. The raccoons are quickly emptying it for me.  ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 04:47:07 PM »
I doubt that his horns will get any bigger at this late date.  In fact as the velvet cures and drops off they will look a little smaller.  Opinion based on making buck observations almost daily in my yard.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
I've got a nice subsonic (quiet) ;) 30-06 load that penetrates forever if you need it. ;D

Thanks for the info, I think I will let this one grow more.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline jhm

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 04:23:36 AM »
     It takes a BIGGER MAN to let one walk for a year or so, than someone who will just shoot ANY buck they see, I will always be looking UP to you for that.   Jim