Author Topic: Lock'nLoad a Ballistic Program for Cannons and Mortars  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Lock'nLoad a Ballistic Program for Cannons and Mortars
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »
The yard works done.  Back to programing. If their is interest, I will post the equations involved in calculating a projectile's trajectory in none diffferential equation form so you can get a better understanding of the variable relationships.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »
Attached is the velocity versus grain data for my Golf Ball mortar.  It is one of the older versions form Dom.  The bore I have measured at 1.725 inches.  Hope data will help enjoy the program. 
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline belt fed frog

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 06:41:06 AM »
Most Excellent Work
 i would like to see a powder weight /type calculation  incorporated in the program  (just wishing)  ;D

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »
Most Excellent Work
 i would like to see a powder weight /type calculation  incorporated in the program  (just wishing)  ;D

Thank you.  I just fininshed the ballistic coefficient today and will be testing it today.  If anyone has any range data for different projectiles I would appreciate it if you would share the data.  I f you send range data please include the barrel elevation, diameter of the projectile, and its weight.

I will start working on the interior ballistic modal this weekend.  It will estimate Muzzle Velocity based on grains of powder and bore characteristics of your cannon and mortar.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 08:34:17 AM »
This is a NON-serious answer, but accurate.

In my golf-ball mortar, ONE caliber bore length, approximately 1.70" bore diameter, the max range and max altitude are both about 8 feet.  That's with a TOPFLIGHT golf ball.

Yes, the next one built had a longer barrel.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)