Author Topic: New tube, sorta unique looking, what do you think?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline wolff

• Trade Count: (1)
New tube, sorta unique looking, what do you think?
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:34:28 AM »
     Just about sprained my Klarn lifting the box it came in:

It is 18" x 2" at the breech, with a 3" diameter trunnion ring made of steel, bore is .690" to just under 15" deep and 14.5" to the back of the vent hole.
The trunnions are 2" long x .770".   With that 1/2" of steel from the meaty trunnion ring, it kinda makes the trunnions seem out of proportion, no?
The barrel diameter increases on a nice taper from 1.58" (behind the muzzle's snout)  to 1.98" just forward of the trunnion ring.  It remains at 1.98" to the backside of the breech, at 17".

If you were wondering - or muttering - "is that bolt at the rear on or in the barrel?"   Then give yourself a little dolly!
Said bolt is 2" long, with  1/2" diameter threads 1.19" deep.  Before you ask, because someone will ask (I lurked long enough to learn enough to dare posting):  There is one full inch between the breech and that threaded hole ;D
Also, you can just make out the small hole at the rear of the trunnion ring - it's threaded for a set screw; there's another 180*,  from it.

This barrel has very little in the way of markings :  "R  S  W" is tastefully stamped into the top at the breech - 1/4" tall letters, sans serif, no periods between letters.
     It has that "old bronze" smell to it.  You know what I mean?  
     Appears unfired.   So, To my unskilled (well, with cannons at least) eye, it sort of has a "swivel gun" look about it.  A bolt could attach an aiming stick...

The Floor is Open for Discussion!

thanks in advance for input!

wolff

P.S.  I used the "Insert Image" button and pasted links to the pics up at Flickr, but they're not showing up within the text body -- lessened the drama!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: New tube, sorta unique looking, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:06:28 AM »
What else do you know about it?

Offline wolff

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »
What else do you know about it?

I wish that I did know more...that's all I have, unfortunately.  The fella I bought her from didn't know anything at all about it, other than it was heavy ::)   
     For what it's worth, the 2 hardwood supports that came with the barrel are vintage; scraps, really, about 9" x 1.5-1.75" with sawmill marks from one BIG blade!
     Quick digression:  About a month ago, my friend Andy called me for an opinion on some military web gear.  I asked him if it "looked and smelled like G.I. gear" -- Now, every guy who's ever smelled GI gear or canvas knows exactly what I'm referring to ;)  It's very evocative.   My point is that when I first looked the barrel over, I took it to be of recent making - fifty years or so.  But more and more I am coming to believe it's 75 or even more years old.   And those two old, oily, odd wood supports?    They have the look and smell of "old" all over `em  :D

I can't figure out if this was intended to match a historic profile, or the maker simply decided to head off in a new direction!

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
Wolff, the barrel looks a bit like this 3.8-inch James rifle, type 3.

Picture taken at Shiloh NMP
Max

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »

Or with some work look very much like a James rifle.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline wolff

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »

Picture taken at Shiloh NMP

Holy Cow, Max!  Great eye!  Yes, the two tubes do share a similar profile.

Does anyone think the trunnions look too long?  They're about a barrel diameter (2") long, and .770 diameter - which seems an OK proportion.  But that trunnion ring, at 3" in diameter,  makes them look like they're sticking out like Howdy Doody's ears :o

I do think that trimming that flange at the muzzle down flush (and perhaps losing the cascabel too) would improve the "look" of it.

Again, Thanks for the input!

Brad

p.s.  A thought:  Would a close examination of the machining marks help identify, or narrow down what "era" the tube was made?
Here's a few closeups of the topside set screw, initials by the breech, and muzzle detail.

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:41:07 AM »
I wouldn't touch a thing!  Leave it as is, that's how it was built. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:42:00 AM »
NICE tube!

Now we're looking foreward to pictures of smoke and flame, of course.  (Though not with fffg - something more normal to a long barrel.)

Take pictures of the carriage as you build it too!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline wolff

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
NICE tube!

Now we're looking foreward to pictures of smoke and flame, of course.  (Though not with fffg - something more normal to a long barrel.)

Take pictures of the carriage as you build it too!

Agreed - coarser granulation would be best.

RE:  A carriage...I was thinking that if I could find a nice, thick butcher block (long strips, not checkerboard) at a thrift store, I could harvest a couple of slabs from it.  Anybody try that with success?

DD said: 
I wouldn't touch a thing!  Leave it as is, that's how it was built.
  Yep...I agree with you, too :D  Although I can envision it differently and perhaps "better", leaving it be - as with firearms - is the best policy.

Looking to make some Smoke and Lightning...Heavy Metal Thunder... for Independance Day; even if using a temp carriage/sled.

brad wolff

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
Something to consider.  If there is a building material salvage operation in your area, consider looking for a laminated beam for carriage work

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »
you americans got all the interesting stuff , here in sweden they just grow the unlaminated beans

sorry DD I just couldnt resist it   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »
you americans got all the interesting stuff , here in sweden they just grow the unlaminated beans

sorry DD I just couldnt resist it   ;D

And we also have the tomatoes with stripes!   ::)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 03:56:27 AM »
For lanyards we have string beans.

And for handspikes...

.. pole beans.  ;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 05:08:52 AM »
If this keeps up pretty soon this thread is going to be about a bean salad....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »
If this keeps up pretty soon this thread is going to be about a bean salad....

But to bring it back 'on topic' we'll have to have it accompanied by gun-powder tea.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
BP tea!

As long as it's real BP, then there's nothing that will really hurt you in small amounts. Saltpeter, sulfur, and charcoal are all taken internally for medicinal purposes (but in the case of the charcoal, it doesn't stay internal for long).

Mmmm... all natural flavor!  :) :D ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
Wolff,
As Max has already pointed out, your barrel does show a similarity with the profile of the James Type III rifle. If the muzzle ring were removed, and the breech base, cascabel neck, and knob were reshaped a bit it would be a fairly close model of one. 

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline wolff

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 09:17:51 PM »
Something to consider.  If there is a building material salvage operation in your area, consider looking for a laminated beam for carriage work

DD:  Great idea about using a scrap piece from a "glue-lam" -- it's the construction industry's version of a butcher block!  But aren't I to be concerned that it would be made of fir or pine? 

I've begun sketching a few ideas for carriage shapes, and I can't quite resolve whether to use the trunnions as-is @ 2" long - (2" thick cheeks ???), or, given a .690 bore and 2" dia. breech, shorten the trunnions to something like 1" to 1 3/8" long.

I read an old formula some time ago that proportioned carriage construction to the barrel (naval carriages, IIRC), and given that this tube isn't a faithful copy of any one type of cannon, I'm also not insisting on devising a period-correct carriage either.

comments?

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 01:12:19 AM »
I hope that you dont change anything on the barrel as it could be antique
ok it looks a little odd with the very long trunnions, but still its the original design
even if you cut the trunnions down to approximately .7" length it wouldnt still be proportional because of the hughe trunnion ring .

that barrel got tons of charm as it is , please save it in its original shape

if you dont like it then sell it as an antique and build or have someone to build what you want for you

just my 2 cents, for what its worth
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 01:39:06 AM »
 One thing I'd be concerned about (if firing a ball) is if the two set screws are the only thing securing the ring. They don't look to be enough to handle the recoil by themselves.

Also, they're socket-head set screws which points to a more recent, rather than say a 100+ year old age for the barrel.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline wolff

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 08:51:37 PM »
I hope that you dont change anything on the barrel as it could be antique
ok it looks a little odd with the very long trunnions, but still its the original design
even if you cut the trunnions down to approximately .7" length it wouldnt still be proportional because of the hughe trunnion ring .

that barrel got tons of charm as it is , please save it in its original shape

if you dont like it then sell it as an antique and build or have someone to build what you want for you

just my 2 cents, for what its worth

Well put, my friend, well put.
(BTW, does your copper collection happen to include any Absinthe stills?)

One thing I'd be concerned about (if firing a ball) is if the two set screws are the only thing securing the ring. They don't look to be enough to handle the recoil by themselves.

Also, they're socket-head set screws which points to a more recent, rather than say a 100+ year old age for the barrel.

I'd thought of the set-screws as being the main securing point too, and I think I'll very carefully attempt to loosen them enough to slip the ring off its ledge...I suspect that the area that the ring contacts  is not parallel, and widens towards the front.
   As for set screws themselves, I'll have to dig into the age of their first  or common usage.

again, my thanks for all the excellent input!

wolff 

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »
 IIRC, hex socket screws were invented around 1900. However, the ones in your barrel may have been replacements installed some time after it was actually made.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
I wish I had , but at the moment no .
I had an still made in 1789 before , but unfortunately I got to sell it a few years back
it wasnt the one in my avatar but very similar
this days I just got a small collection , the best pieces was sold 5-10 years ago
found another still for sale just a few days ago , but it was priced at slightly over 4 k
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »
some more
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 05:56:05 AM »
Dan it looks like you have cornered the copper market..... I don't think there's anything
left over there for anyone else.....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »
... but it was priced at slightly over 4 k

4,000 dollars, Euro's, pounds or even Forents is well past most of our reach.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
dollars , it was 29 000 swedish kronor

what I got now is approximately 25% of what I had 10 years ago  :'(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »
Yes Dan thats all well and good  ,But what Wolffs question  of Absinthe or 'The Green Fairy'
It's now legal to sell in this country but the stuff is nutts expensive . One day when I feel like a big shot I might just go go some .  The gals at the liquor store said .."yea it's high dollar, but just a little dab will do ya "

Then agian what they concoct in euro maybe way diif .

I had a freind who was stationed in germany  in the early to mid 70's . He told me thet they used to fill their canteens with Jager miester , But that it wasnt the Jager you get here ......some kinda 'extra' ingredent' ,not allowed here ? He said it kept them really warm walking gaurd duty .

Gaurds ....funny little creatures ! usualy the ones stealing , but dont ask me how I know ........
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline wolff

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »
Yes Dan thats all well and good  ,But what Wolffs question  of Absinthe or 'The Green Fairy'
It's now legal to sell in this country but the stuff is nutts expensive . One day when I feel like a big shot I might just go go some .  The gals at the liquor store said .."yea it's high dollar, but just a little dab will do ya "

Then agian what they concoct in euro maybe way diif .

It's all true - once again legal throughout Europe, and what's legal here in the U.S.A. to purchase is not the same as what you can get in Europe :(  In America, we can legally make, possess and consume Absinthe; but used to not be able to buy/sell it. ???  That "mystery ingredient" is Artemisa Grande = grand wormwood, and its thujone content... good absinthe bestows a warm, unique and quite pleasant experience:  but there's zero "high" from it, so no worries there.  And the high proof (140!) isn't an issue since you dilute the "dose" with ice cold water down to 1/3rd or 1/4th the proof.
     DAN:  I've seen pictures of simple Swiss stills that looked like a tinker soldered up a couple garden watering cans...and I wasn't sure if they were actual distillers vs. infusing pots...(the Swiss make the BEST IMHO - "Clandestine Blue" absinthe ;) )ve   

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 04:13:28 AM »
and so Dan the reason your collection is reduced  because your melting them down to make bronze cannons which is back on topic....