Author Topic: Optic for 1903A3/A4  (Read 391 times)

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Optic for 1903A3/A4
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:20:57 AM »
   Hello, I'm looking for an optic for a 1903A3.  It was/is a 1903 that someone had done allot of work on to turn it into a good shooter and look like an A4.  The sight assemblies were removed and a Redfield base was added with the redfield rings, fully bedded real nice with a timney trigger put in.  It now wears a Burris timberline, but I am looking for a scope that looks the part, or at least compliments the rifle but is modern in performance.  Something long and skinny with a straight tube with only a bell at the eye piece.   Forget about the original gear as its through the roof and its not an original A4 anyway, but I'm coming up short looking around midway and the likes for something that will fit the rifle in style and performance.  I figured another set of eyes and or opinions, and experience would get me pointed in the right direction.  thanks fellas.

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Optic for 1903A3/A4
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:53:58 AM »
Sorry,  I can not be of more help but Guns magazine has had a few articles recently that featured newly produced optics of the period style.  I do not remember the maker.  I think you can read past issues on there web page.  Look for article by Mike Ventori or something like that.  Someone will correct me.  I would get more facts for you but am on my phone and not my laptop.

Offline Stape

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:50:11 AM »
  Thanks for the lead, that'll give me something to search for.  I appreciate it.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
Here is the guys name: Mike "Duke" Venturino  and his column is called Montana Musings.  If I am not mistaken the Article that details the scopes was from 09 but he has mentioned them in several other articles.

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I think that 2 1/2 power Lyman Alaskan's were the original scope on the A4 sniper rifles.  Try ebay or gunbroker.

Offline Stape

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »
The Lyman alaskan was added later to replace the M73 whatever that was the original.  While they are "correct" they still command a high price for the age and performance/function of said optic.  I see them for around 300 or so, give or take.  Thats allot to me, for an older scope anyways.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)