Author Topic: Field conditions Northern Arizona.  (Read 812 times)

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Field conditions Northern Arizona.
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
 spent the weekend fooling around in and around Flagstaff. Took my two year old grandaughter out to let her try some fishing.  Field conditions looked outstanding with lots of greenery and stock tanks with lots of water. Even had a good rain shower Friday night. Kind of strange for June,considering it's usually bone dry. Looks like the hunting seasons may be verry good.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Field conditions Northern Arizona.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »
How is the hunting around there? I just came back from a family vacation. Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc. Would have liked to explore the Flagstaff area more but not enough time. I am in love with that area (AZ in general) and would like to either move there right now (if I could convince the family) or at least retire around there. Is it tough for non-residents to get tags in that area?
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
Nice area a little more expensive than the Phoenix metro or Tucson areas. Hell it's getting hard for residents to draw tags. The state only releases a small  portion of tags for out of staters,not sure the percentage. I have heard ten percent of total tags availible, but not sure if that is true.  Generally good hunting in that area. Oh by the way thanks for spending your money here and supporting the state. I understand the boycott concerning SB 1070 is not doing too well.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »
Well that stinks. I still like AZ though. I guess I'll just have to move there and then hunt in neighboring states!
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:59:20 AM »
i have about 1 more year to work here in Californy....then i'll retire,sell my house here, and move to AZ. I already own a place in Apache Junction and i'm thinking about buying in the mountains too then i can go back and forth between the place in the mts and my place in the valley. I'm gonna be there in November this year lookin for some doves and quail.....and some huntin partners :D

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:56:14 AM »
 :-\ now that Zoner mentioned it, I was going to as how the quail populations look in Az. this year...Last year in the area I hunted most, the se corner, it was pretty poor...I didn't even shoot the few birds I saw...hunted some coyotes, but the rain made that rather slow also...from my small understanding of your desert country, the winter rains, make the quail for next year...so provided there were enough birds to repopulate the quail should be on the up swing....if not there are always my old friends the coyotes........

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 07:13:57 AM »
Due to the wet winter and the bizzarreness of rain in early to mid-June, looks like Quail have had a triple hatch this year. Looks real promising. I can hardly wait. Any you folks come here to hunt, drop me a line. I will do my best to help you out.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »
you'll hear from me soon as i may need a little help with dove hunting locations or areas near my place in Apache Junction....