Author Topic: re-"building" a topper reciever.  (Read 678 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
re-"building" a topper reciever.
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
I have a '84 H&R reciever that looks just like my topper 58 reciever. It has been gutted of any moving part. All but one holding pin is there. I have wood for it and know a group of people who would help me find a propper caliber (safe) barrel for this old case hardend piece.  ;)  Is it worth putting the money in? I really would like to slowly put together a 44 mag or 357 mag over a little while, but wonder if all these parts are still available from H&R. This gun would be my first barrel fitting gun and after re-fitting all the parts I think I would lose my fear of a doing trigger job ( on my other handis). What do all you true handi holics who work on them think? Ordering 20 some parts and getting it in the mail...... I really don't enjoy puzzles that much. Would it even be worth doing or would it be less expensive to just wait and get a whole rifle on sale somewhere? I am in no rush but thought it might be a cool project to do with my son. And I suppose if we found a shot gun barrel for it it could even be a cheaper project. But I would like some input. I have worked on other guns before, but never a gutted handi- type. Thanks, thejanitor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: re-"building" a topper reciever.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »
Between Numrich and Brownell's, not H&R, you should be able to get all the parts, Use Perklo's trigger hone download info in the FAQs to reassemble, it's very doable.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:59:39 AM »
AND all of those part are quite reasonable.....  (I had to change out all of the fire control parts on my Topper 30-30)  Go for it!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »
Thanks guys. But what model number should I use? I didn't measure the diamerter of the firing pin hole yet but that is even gone (edit- the pin is gone...) So in as much as it looks like my 58 and is four years newer than the 58 would those parts interchange? Thanks thejanitor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:08:37 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
If you know what you are looking at, gunbroker has lots of H&R parts, some lots have all the inside parts of the receiver, they usually go cheap.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
If you know what you are looking at, gunbroker has lots of H&R parts, some lots have all the inside parts of the receiver, they usually go cheap.  Larry
Thanks Larry but I really do not know at this point "what I'm looking at." By the time I get through this project I will but I really can't afford to buy the wrong ones, so When quick mentioned I can look up the parts by serial number I figure I better do it that way. I am sure many here know their guns inside and out, I must say I do not. I hope to get comfortable with dropping the trigger/hammer parts out but up till now I have been smart enough to not fix what isn't broke. And with no parts in this reciever I can truly say this one is broke. So with nothing to lose and experience to gain, I will start buying parts one of these paydays and then print out some threads on fixing and get started.
I have read some but thinking I would not be needing to dig into one, Is the trigger assembly and the hammer/latch release are those two different groups of parts or are they one big unit? Just wondered if I could buy the hammer parts and get them in place and pinned and then start on the lower parts. I will go read some of the links posted above to know more, but feel free to ad more info here if you wish. I will check back for more posts, but no need in you re-typing if it has been covered before on the threads Quick posted links to.  Thanks all! thejanitor

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
Well after adding up all I believe I need at E-gunparts, the parts price is 75.65 unless I missed something. Not too bad, I did look on Gunbroker and only saw a spring available.... So I will have to check back for more parts listed. Or figure out how to better utilize the site search tool. The e-gunparts serial number reference did help. Thanks all! thejanitor

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
I recently bought a set of parts on gunbroker for a Model 88 shotgun.  I got everything but the firing pin, only got half of it.  Cost me $14 shipped.  They are on there, you just have to be patient.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
Are you sure there isnt some good reason that action was stripped down and that, once 'rebuilt' it wont be safe or worth what you put into it?
Another route to take would be to buy another similar vintage action to strip, inspect, tune and rebuild onto whichever frame is the best. You might get the whole thing, or maybe a whole gun at a gunshow for $50-$75.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 02:50:04 AM »
Are you sure there isnt some good reason that action was stripped down....... You might get the whole thing, or maybe a whole gun at a gunshow for $50-$75.

Thought about it but didn't see anything that looked wrong, but here again I am new to internal Handi recievers. But I did kind of think that for another 30 ish bucks I could buy a used SB2 and build into anything H&R offers/offered.

I recently bought a set of parts on gunbroker for a Model 88 shotgun.  I got everything but the firing pin, only got half of it.  Cost me $14 shipped.  They are on there, you just have to be patient.
That is where I could see putting this together for a bargain, I will keep watching, I am just not sure which parts will interchange that way. E-gunparts did cost more but the parts were easy to locate and know which they fit.

Thanks  thejanitor