Author Topic: NEF combo 223 - slug  (Read 516 times)

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
NEF combo 223 - slug
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »
I bought a NEF Combo with a 223 barrel and a rifled 12 ga slug barrel. My intention was to sell it but I am wondering what performance I would get from the slug barrel. What should I expect as far as accuracy, recoil? What slugs should I try. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: NEF combo 223 - slug
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:52:31 AM »
Best thing to do is buy a bunch of different sabots and just shoot them for group before you even site the gun in find the one your gun likes then site it in. I have a tracker II 12ga that I'm currently doing that with. The recoil from the hornady SSTs is pretty stiff and they dont seem to be very accurate in mine. The person I bought the barrel from said he had good luck with buck hammers and that the recoil wasn't bad. I haven't been able to find any so I can't attest to that. My 20ga Tracker II will put 3 shots into 2 holes touching at 65 yards with lightfield hybrid express 2 3/4s.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 02:27:25 AM »
I live on the NY / PA border. For many years NY required slugs. They changed a couple of years ago and I can now hunt with a rifle. Not sure what I was thinking, this combo will end up being sold. Thanks for the input anyway. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
You can also shoot foster type slugs in a rifled barrel and get very good accuracy and not have to rob a bank to buy sabots. You just have a little bit more lead to clean out after each outing. I did this in my Tracker II 20g.