Author Topic: Reality check  (Read 1070 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Reality check
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:26:12 AM »
I have reloaded for many years and have never had a major mis-hap, even back in the 70s reading some of Elmer Keith’s trials and errors, and yes like many reloaders of the day, I too pushed the Envelope. The other day I was skimming threw some of the forms I go to, on one was the heading, Gun  kaboom pictures, some of these were very impressive. I was one of the lucky ones that got away with some questionable loads, many don’t, not recommending this, but back then I was very meticulous about these hot loads. Some of the Kaboom pictures were complacence in reloading, others loading above ones ability, and yes some were just plain stupidity. But seeing these pictures has reaffirmed my redundancy in reloading, It seems a lot of guys are reloading to mass produce Ammo, and not just the joy of a job well done. 

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
Re: Reality check
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:19:46 AM »
with the amount of handloaders here, the amount of ammo reloaded and shot from guys and gals here, the actual amount of accidents is very low.
people make mistakes for various reasons, and anyone could say, not intentionally.  some do say how much ammo they have or could make, but its doubtful that anyone sets out to make as much ammo as possible without regard to safety and proper setup and procedure.
good for you that you've never had an accident , blew up a  gun or had a round fail.  there are many good people here, willing to help out another reloader and when a newbie handloader asks a question, more then one of the responses is always about safety, throughly reading a maunal and working slowly and carefully. no one says or implies something unsafe.  with a descent progressive press, anyone can turn out a good number of quality ammo in a very short amount of time.  i guess seeing pictures of blown up guns, injured hands or other failures it only can re-affirm the need to adhere to safely procedures. the total volume of ammo is a far second to well made safe ammo, questionable ammo or pushing the limits aside.

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:22:13 AM »
Don’t get me wrong, I am not pointing a finger at anyone, it just seems with the present political climate, and down economy, there is a serge in the number of new reloaders, I am new to this form, but heard good things about it from others, the other forms like most on the web, some give very good advice, but I have also read some very questionable practices on some, and no one ever set out to blow a thousand dollar gun up or injure them selves, But just recently I read a post of a guy on another form, that had Blown a new Sig apart, he was un harmed, But had forged on with a limited amount of knowledge as to what he was doing. It seems he found a 45 LC mold at a flee market, and cast 300 + grain bullets too use in his 45ACP. Not sure what load was used, but it ended badly, and yes everyone makes misstates. My point being, from time to time everyone needs to be re-grounded, reloading is very safe if done right, but a very small mistake can and sometime dose end very badly. If giving advise on reloading I have always tried to only give on the side of caution, and never load data , and have always recommended  literature appropriate to the casting or reloading question. As I said I am new to this form, but I cannot count the times I have read on other forms, (hi new reloader, what press pumps out Bullets the fastest) sometimes it’s a good idea to step back and reevaluate, Awhile back I gave advice to a guy, but ended with, only a fool would take advice from a computer form as the gospel with out researching it further, and that includes any from me.   

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »
I've blown up only one and it was a very strong TC Contender.

I was using range pick up brass as my primary source in those long ago days. I found three I think it was S&W headstamp .44 mag cases and just mixed them in with all the other brands I had. First mistake.

I was loading the standard book load of 24 grains of W296 as best as I recall with 240 grain bullets. My policy already was to examine each case under a strong light to be sure it wasn't an over charge or double charge.

The S&W cases all appeared to be overly full tho clearly a double charge is not possible with that load in that case. So I dumped them back into the measure and dropped new charges. No change in appearance.

I dumped them again and weighed out the charges and they still looked too full. I knew they were a standard book load so assumed it would be OK. Second mistake.

I took them to the range and when I fired the first S&W case the barrel dropped open and the Pachmayr forend went flying several feet in front of me. Luckily I wasn't damaged and neither was anyone near me. The barrel on the other hand was ruined beyond use. The frame withstood it.

These days I'm very cautious and that blow up is why I insist so much on safety on this site.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
I have made my own mistakes...none that caused a blow up but with consequences just the same.  Usually the other end of reloading and shooting.  Stuff like no powder in the "loaded" round (ONCE); primer pocket reamed too deeply and the rounds (plural) would not fire; reloading cases to the point of strain hardness and neck splitting on ignition; by myself, stumbled with finger on trigger and "accidentally" firing into the ground (ONCE and never-ever to do that again); using an accelerant (gasoline) to start a fire and literally broiling my own self (I am a "Good Example" of a "Bad Example" in that); adolescent and stupid mistakes like that.

These were "learning" mistakes in reloading and life that were defining moments.  Had someone been in front of me the day I "stumbled", Life, as I know it, would be different.

"Darwin" watches for some among us, tags them, and improves the gene pool.   Some "wisdom" is learned the hard way.  Good experience can often be learned from a bad mistake. 

But then I digress and you were referring to the other idiots that go off half cocked...bad things can happen.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:42:59 PM »
Wit & Wisdon of Will Rogers...

...Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
" some do say how much ammo they have or could make, but its doubtful that anyone sets out to make as much ammo as possible without regard to safety and proper setup and procedure."

All you have to do is go to a 1911 forum and see just how many folks reload for quantity. Their goal is a lot of ammo as quickly as can be reloaded. I very often see a new reloader ask for recommendations and they are told to get a progressive press 'cause "you'll shoot more when you reload, and you'll need more ammo", and just as many times a new progressive owner asks why his rounds won't chamber or tell how many they have loaded without powder. Yep there are a lot of those out there whose only goal is a lot of ammo first, and quality second...

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »
Hornady, i know you were not pointing fingers, i was just trying to say that all things being equal , you wont find that mentality here , but as others respond, i'm sure you will read stories of mistakes and  failures to adhere to the side of safety, and i am certainly no exception...and if no one has said it yet, welcome to GBO. Please enjoy your time here and hopefully i didnt scare you away. ;)
             glenn

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:33:36 AM »
Like I said I saw the pictures on the other sight and was taken back, I am not saying I have never made a mistake, its human nature, reloading and casting must be respected, my first Lyman book back in the 70s, I don’t remember the exact wording, But stressed, if you are distracted or can not concentrate totally on what you are doing, stop! with the fast paced life styles today, this is hard to do, most have limited time for hobbies, now that I am retired, I have much more time for reloading and casting. And I was not knocking progressive presses, I own the Hornady Auto progressive press, but I have the powder cop set up on it every time, Over the years I have known reloaders that have been at it for years, and a simple mistake or trying to save a buck ended badly, I know looking at the pictures has made me reevaluate some of my practices, complacency can be very Dangerous in reloading.     

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 07:40:35 PM »
Don’t get me wrong, I am not pointing a finger at anyone, it just seems with the present political climate, and down economy, there is a serge in the number of new reloaders, I am new to this form, but heard good things about it from others, the other forms like most on the web, some give very good advice, but I have also read some very questionable practices on some, and no one ever set out to blow a thousand dollar gun up or injure them selves, But just recently I read a post of a guy on another form, that had Blown a new Sig apart, he was un harmed, But had forged on with a limited amount of knowledge as to what he was doing. It seems he found a 45 LC mold at a flee market, and cast 300 + grain bullets too use in his 45ACP. Not sure what load was used, but it ended badly, and yes everyone makes misstates. My point being, from time to time everyone needs to be re-grounded, reloading is very safe if done right, but a very small mistake can and sometime dose end very badly. If giving advise on reloading I have always tried to only give on the side of caution, and never load data , and have always recommended  literature appropriate to the casting or reloading question. As I said I am new to this form, but I cannot count the times I have read on other forms, (hi new reloader, what press pumps out Bullets the fastest) sometimes it’s a good idea to step back and reevaluate, Awhile back I gave advice to a guy, but ended with, only a fool would take advice from a computer form as the gospel with out researching it further, and that includes any from me.   

I have to stay I started for cheap ammo. I realized there was just no way I could shoot as much as I wanted buying my ammo. It didnt take long for me to realize that I could not just have cheap ammo,but BETTER ammo that made my guns more accurate.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »
I have made my own mistakes...none that caused a blow up but with consequences just the same.  Usually the other end of reloading and shooting.  Stuff like no powder in the "loaded" round (ONCE); primer pocket reamed too deeply and the rounds (plural) would not fire; reloading cases to the point of strain hardness and neck splitting on ignition; by myself, stumbled with finger on trigger and "accidentally" firing into the ground (ONCE and never-ever to do that again); using an accelerant (gasoline) to start a fire and literally broiling my own self (I am a "Good Example" of a "Bad Example" in that); adolescent and stupid mistakes like that.

These were "learning" mistakes in reloading and life that were defining moments.  Had someone been in front of me the day I "stumbled", Life, as I know it, would be different.

"Darwin" watches for some among us, tags them, and improves the gene pool.   Some "wisdom" is learned the hard way.  Good experience can often be learned from a bad mistake.  

But then I digress and you were referring to the other idiots that go off half cocked...bad things can happen.

I think its like safety with power tools. I have noticed that eventually for many people,the safety rules for power tools go out the window.(My neighbor,a carpenter with 25 years experience ended up in the ER when he was talking to someone and nearly took his thumb off with a band saw. He knew better,but got complacent) Eventually,it comes home to roost. Either you almost loose a hand or a finger,or you DO lose a hand or a finger. Fortunately most people don't throw out ALL the rules at once,but a few at a time,so the really bad accidents are rare. For most of us,once you have done something stupid you remember and are very careful from then on. (for a few,they just don't learn until they lose a hand) (I did mine early,in Jr High. Were were drilling sheet metal and I decided to ignore the instructions to clamp it instead of holding it with my hand. it worked fine a few times,then one piece climbed up the drill bit and starting spinning. I was very lucky. I pulled my hand back and noticed a thin red line on the tips of two of my fingers. If I had been a fraction of a second slower,or recognized what was about to happen a fraction of a second later,I would have lost at least two fingers. Every time I'm tempted to do something stupid I can still almost feel those two little cuts on my fingers and remember to do it right,or just don't do it. I suspect that reloading is the same for those who haven't had their "stupid moment" yet.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 03:19:13 AM »
One can't be too cautious!  I've never had a major mishap, just forgot to dump powder in a few cases.  In that situation, you must be certain that the bullet didn't go part of the way up the barrel and then try to fire another round behind it.....

My old man once forgot to tighten the locking screw on his Lyman #55 powder measure.  He had loaded dozens of cartridges for his custom E.A. Brown 25-20.  He was out plinking when all of a sudden the gun ALMOST blew apart!  The powder measure had opened up and doubled, even trippled the powder amount.  Fortunately the little rifle could be repaired, and all he got was a nasty burn on the trigger finger.  Had to pull all the cartridges - discovered that almost half of them had been overcharged!

In addition to my single stage press, use an old Dillon 450 to crank out a few select calibers in great numbers, but I don't recommend any type of progressive press to beginners or to anyone who is not confident in their ability to focus on what they are doing.  I only use the Dillon when no one else is around to distract me because it's too easy to skip placing a primer or dumping a powder charge.  Not only that, but one must still carefully set all the dies up properly, and must make sure that the ammo will work in the intended firearm.

When I'm using he Dillon, I mentally go through the steps - Up, primer, powder, down, seat primer, place a bullet, turn, out with loaded round, in with empty, turn........repeat, repeat.  Sorta sets up a rythym that helps keep things correct.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 05:57:10 AM »
There are some rounds I load for quanity (9mm and 7.62x39mm) and others I load with accuracy in mind. I use a lighter charge for my semi-autos in 9mm and also for the semi-autos in 7.62x39mm. I don't consider either to be a real tack driver and load for safety and quanity with the least expensive propellant I can find which is Accurate or milsurp when available. The above mentioned loads are usually close to book recommended starting loads and are always shot through my Chrony to give me a guide or focal point per se that keeps me in the percieved safety zone.

Checking propellant charges with a flashlight is an easy thing to do when all the cases have been charged and are sitting in loading blocks awaiting a bullet. This is with my single stage press which takes awhile to reload especially with 9mm, but in the winter I have lots of time to load and take advantage of it.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 07:41:31 AM »
Keeping your loading bench free of components that are not involved in the loading is one rule that I need to get better at.

Once I deprimed three live cases thinking they were spent, I grabbed from the wrong bin, they should not have been there.

Last month I grabbed a primed but empty case from a bin on the bench instead of a primed, charged case from the loading block. Nearly seated a bullet on it.

I'm glad I choses a turret press over a progressive. One round at a time is my speed.

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »
Something else that I always do is to keep only the powder that I am using on the bench, and I keep that by the powder measure that the powder is in.  That way I won't accidently pour the wrong powder into the hopper, or return powder from the hopper into the wrong container.  Don't ask me how I learned this!

I keep the powders that I'm not using as far away from the bench as possible so that I physically have to get up out of my chair to retrieve them.  This makes me consciously think of what I'm doing while getting a can of powder or while returning one to the storage shelf.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »
One more thing: don't try to make a Maserati out of a Model T Ford. Don't try to get 3,000 fps with a 150 grain bullet from a .308 W. If you want more velocity, get a bigger case, maybe a .30 by .378 Weatherby. Then 3,000 fps is realistically achievable.

My little Sako .222 Rem sends a 50  grain bullet down range at 2,800 fps. I know I could push that to something approaching 3,000 but the sage rats and jackrabbits I shoot don't know the difference. And it shoots where I look. If I wanted more velocity I'd get a .22-250.

Pushing the envelope with any cartridge is a recipe for disaster.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 08:07:50 AM »
Quote from: calvon
One more thing: don't try to make a Maserati out of a Model T Ford. Don't try to get 3,000 fps with a 150 grain bullet from a .308 W.
I have always found a quiet place in the middle to lower third of the reloading manuals that is "Just Right" for hunting.  As you said, the game doesn't know the difference and my rifles and I shoot better for it.  Plus I get a few more rounds per pound of powder.  That's a plus.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 10:23:08 AM »
Back when I loaded alot of ammo and had little money it was easy to justify pushing thing to far . I (we) shot cases with split necks .well until some split enough to burn a chamber and bolt face. Or load when tired and get to the range with a couple primers in backwards . Or as mentioned forget powder . the list can go on. With reloading i find it better to see things in print . Also use up to date books cause they test powders made today .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »
I've blown up only one and it was a very strong TC Contender.

I was using range pick up brass as my primary source in those long ago days. I found three I think it was S&W headstamp .44 mag cases and just mixed them in with all the other brands I had. First mistake.

I was loading the standard book load of 24 grains of W296 as best as I recall with 240 grain bullets. My policy already was to examine each case under a strong light to be sure it wasn't an over charge or double charge.

The S&W cases all appeared to be overly full tho clearly a double charge is not possible with that load in that case. So I dumped them back into the measure and dropped new charges. No change in appearance.

I dumped them again and weighed out the charges and they still looked too full. I knew they were a standard book load so assumed it would be OK. Second mistake.

I took them to the range and when I fired the first S&W case the barrel dropped open and the Pachmayr forend went flying several feet in front of me. Luckily I wasn't damaged and neither was anyone near me. The barrel on the other hand was ruined beyond use. The frame withstood it.

These days I'm very cautious and that blow up is why I insist so much on safety on this site.

Did you ever figure out what was so different about the brass you used?  Was it too short or something?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
Did you ever figure out what was so different about the brass you used?  Was it too short or something?
GH1  

Would be good to know, but I suspect that the cases were made from a thicker brass, but that should not cause a leap in pressure.  It should cause a lower pressure because more gas would escape around the sides of the case???? ???

....or maybe because the thicker brass didn't "let go" of the bullet as easily and caused a pressure spike????