Author Topic: What's the reliablity of 5 and 7 shot revolvers?  (Read 840 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What's the reliablity of 5 and 7 shot revolvers?
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
I'm considering the purchase of a snub-nosed revolver as a CCW, but am curious as to the reliability of an odd cylinder size....as opposed to a standard 6 shot revolver.

Are 5 and/or 7 shot revolvers prone to timing issues?
Are there any other mechanical malfunctions associated with these revolvers?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated. :)
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: What's the reliablity of 5 and 7 shot revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »
Bowhunter - the number of rounds the cylinder is chambered for is usually dependent on the frame size.  The S&W j-frames are the most noteworthy small frame 5 shot examples and are totally reliable, and the newer +P models even moreso.

I believe the 7 shooters were developed at the request of those shooters who wanted/needed one more round for their particular sport and in that regard they would be totally reliable.

One excellent choice for a 5 shot j-frame S&W ccw is the Model 638, a stainless da/sa concealed hammer j-frame.  HTH.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »
I don't think there is any difference in function regarding the number of holes in the cylinder.  There  is some limit to the fewest number you could have and still have the hand move the cylinder to the next hole.  5 seems to be the most you can get into the smallest diameter without wasting space, so the smaller revolvers have 5 holes.  I have a couple of old H&R's one in 22 rf and one in 32 S&W, they are the same revolver, but the 22 has 7 holes and the 32 has 5, they function the same.  I don't think reliablity is an attribute you can associate with the number of rounds they hold.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
I don't think there is any difference in function regarding the number of holes in the cylinder.  ...   I don't think reliablity is an attribute you can associate with the number of rounds they hold. 

Larry typed my answer for me.  I can't agree more.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:03:35 AM »
Thank you, for your replies, gentlemen! :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Foxfire Rod & Gun

• Foxfire Rod & Gun
Re: What's the reliability of 5 and 7 shot revolvers?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:58:14 AM »
I'll have to agree with what has been posted regarding reliability on 5 & 7 shot revolvers. However, the one point which I feel is important is that one needs to be sure what type of ammo should be used in a particular revolver. For instance.....my two main carry guns are a Ruger SP-101 - .357 Mag. (cool/cold weather), and a S&W M-38 Airweight Bodyguard (J-Frame) (warm/hot weather). For deep concealment it is either a Kel-Tec P3-AT or Ruger LCP. But this is another story.

Now the SP-101 is designed to handle most anything in the .38 Spl. - .357 Mag. caliber range. With the pre-1972 S&W M-38 Airweight, it is designed to use only standard velocity .38 Spl. ammo and no +P or +P+ loads. I feel that using the correct type of ammo in these types of handguns will be the key to their long term reliability and proper functioning.

FR&G
[img width= height=]http://foxfire-rod-and-gun.com/shop/images/theme/logo1.jpg[/img]

Foxfire Rod & Gun
Post Office Box 104
Carson, Virginia 23830-0104
Phone: (804) 862-4310
FAX: (804) 862-4311
Cell: (804) 513-5876
E-mail: foxfirerodandgun@yahoo.com
www.foxfire-rod-and-gun.com

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both".

Benjamin Franklin