Author Topic: reloading and lead exposure  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
reloading and lead exposure
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:50:29 PM »
Anyone ever run into any problems with excessive lead exposure from the occasional lead cast bullet loadings? I do not cast my bullets. I only shoot cast in a few of my reloaded cartridges and I haven't loaded many of them this year. We just learned that we live in a high-risk lead exposure zip code due to construction practices, the average age of homes in the area, and poverty. Now my wife is trying to get me to stop reloading due to our 9 m/o daughter having a slightly higher than normal lead exposure rate. My daughter rarely gets into my reloading room, she hasn't eaten any bullets yet and I always wash my hands after handling lead. Here's what she's using as proof.

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/OH/shooting.html

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: reloading and lead exposure
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »
I honestly think if your daughter does not enter your reloading room and you wash your hands hands prior to holding her or giving her hugs that there is no danger at all. It could be a case of the wife just wanting to find a reason for you to stop reloading and she found it. I would not do it if I felt I caused any danger to my family and I am sure you would not either. This is just how I feel on this so take it for what it is worth. Take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Some time ago a member of the GB forum was casting commercially and ended up with lead poison. He stopped casting but admitted that the likely cause was smoking while casting IIRC.

Still I have gotten more careful. I buy the DeLead soap from Dillion and wash with it after loading.
I try to keep my bench top clean and the floor around the bench clean.  I think the residue from spent primers might be a source of lead too.

Overall I don't worry about it. But you might not want your daughter to crawl around under your bench etc.

There may be lead test kits that  you could use to see if it is an issue for your reloading area.

I think it isn't hard to get your blood tested for lead levels - that might be a place to start.

Lead should be handled with care but I am beginning to feel that concerns are getting overplayed these days.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:10:21 AM »
For your sanity, I hope she is not "hard over" in her position.  Unfounded fears in regard to lead bullets are an effect of the Liberal and anti-gun agenda.  Yes there are inherent dangers in lead to adolescents and adults.  With simple precautions, as you are already taking, the risks are zero.  Most of us have been reloading for DECADES without contracting lead poisoning or poisoning our households.

Tell her to keep the baby out of ALL MOTOR VEHICLES as the probability of having an automobile accident with injury or death is significantly greater than contracting lead poisoning.

Notes from Wikipedia (emphasis added): 
Classically, "lead poisoning" or "lead intoxication" has been defined as exposure to high levels of lead typically associated with severe health effects.  Environmental lead...everyone has some measurable blood lead level.   In all countries that have banned leaded gasoline, average blood lead levels have fallen sharply.  In adults, blood lead levels steadily increase with increasing age.  Children may also have a higher intake of lead than adults; they breathe faster and may be more likely to have contact with and ingest soil.  Recommended steps by individuals to reduce the blood lead levels of children include increasing their frequency of hand washing and their intake of calcium and iron, discouraging them from putting their hands to their mouths, vacuuming frequently, and eliminating the presence of lead-containing objects such as blinds and jewellery [sic] in the house.

Would she prefer your reloading or the neighbors watching her dress in the morning?  If the bullets have to go, so too does the jewelry.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 02:31:20 AM »
"Anyone ever run into any problems with excessive lead exposure from the occasional lead cast bullet loadings?"

IF it were a reloading problem the Chicken Littles of the gov. agencies would be running in circles screaming, "The sky is falling!" on reloaders because we touch lead.  Panic is the liberal's normal emotional condition so don't take everything govies and their media supporters say too seriously.

Keep doing what you're doing (washing your hands rather than licking 'em clean), don't work around melted lead without good ventalation and you will be fine.  So will the kids, etc.  Actually, you could safely swallow a couple of your cast bullets; solid lead is NOT a health problem and the bullets would be carried out as waste.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 03:26:43 AM »
I actually was treated a few times. Now to be fair i cast and i cast probably as much as some comercial casters do and didnt take any precautions. I smoked and even ate while casting. Theres a definate chance of exposure if you cast like me. Theres also risks when shooting in a non ventalated indoor range. My buddy who shoots alot in an indoor range also was treated. I personaly think the biggest exposure problem for a caster comes with smelting wws. You usually have the pot cranked up wide open and lead wont give off any vapors unless its over 900 degrees and thats a higher temp then you are going to cast at. Dont eat Dont smoke and keep the smelting pot outdoors and watch the wind while your doing it and I doubt youll ever have a problem and if your not a caster and dont shoot indoors and wash your hands after you handle lead and  i dont see how you could possibly be exposed to enough lead.
blue lives matter

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 03:59:06 AM »
stay downwind when your casting or use a small fan as a "breezer". You could also use the thin latex gloves when you reload and handle cast bullets

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
Dinny,

I cast parts for big industrial batteries in a pot with 200-300 lbs. of lead at a time.  I get tested twice a year, with no problems so far.  As for yourself, just handling the lead, wash your hands, and all will be well.

I would wash and change before I held the little one though...can't be too safe with a child.

Be extra careful outside, and don't let her eat dirt.  I have never tested common soil anywhere around where I live that did not have lead in it....

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 05:29:59 AM »
Un-like some others, I don't think she's being or acting excessive, sounds like a good mothers concern for health. Re-read the link you provided, especially this part in full;
Preventing Lead Exposure
Lead poisoning is 100% preventable. Workers and hobby shooters must be aware of the risks and potential adverse health effects of lead exposure. Proper ventilation, good housekeeping practices and basic personal hygiene practices will limit or eliminate the risk of lead exposure. The following simple steps are recommended to prevent lead exposure:

1. Use jacketed ammunition, preferably with non-lead primers, to reduce airborne lead in the range. Consult your range master or manager for more information.

7. Wash hands immediately after shooting, cleaning firearms, picking up spent casing pellets or reloading ammunition. Wash hands, forearms, and face before eating, drinking, smoking or contact with other people.

It really is about hygiene, washing your hands and useing a damp cloth to keep the loading area clean and orginized, just plain common sence.
 Remember this, loading and shooting is fully under your control, there are many things in our environment we have no control over, the belching city bus, FOOD at the grocery store, mercury in fish from burning coal,,,,,,

A healthy consern and care is well advised, Wait till she old enough to go to Public School,,GADD'S! That'll scare ya ta death!  ;D
found elsewhere

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 05:45:57 AM »
If it were that big of a problem there wouldnt be any elderly reloaders out there. Some with 50yrs or better under thier belt.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 05:48:31 AM »
Have you checked all her toys?  Chances are she will get lead poisoning from them. Before she is exposed enough to your Bullets. A friends little boy swollowed a toy from one of those $0.25 Machines.  He got lead poisoning very Bad from it.   That was the DR. mistake. When they took him to the DR. he said to let him pass it. He would be fine. Wrong!!  
Buy a box of Nitrel gloves and wear while reloading. Clean your reloading benchs well and keep all lead up High in sealed boxes where little ones can't get it.  She will be fine.      
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 06:00:44 AM »
If it were that big of a problem there wouldnt be any elderly reloaders out there. Some with 50yrs or better under thier belt.

Th-they say that Lead a-af-f-fects the N-n-nervious sy-sy-sytem,(tick), I th-think their n-n-nut's!(tick)(tick)
An I only ch-ch-chipped one t-t-tooth, from lead shot.
found elsewhere

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 06:48:21 AM »
Lead is not the evil demon the do-gooders and the politicians want you to believe it is. Liberal pushed hysteria/panic is the main reason for banning lead for various uses (lead sinkers are not allowed in some states, lead wheel weights, lead bullets are banned in others). But I don't remember hearing of any real lead poisoning since lead was taken out of paint, and certainly not from reloading.

Jump over to the "Ask Veral Smith" forum and see what he says about the "problem". I bet he has about as much experience with lead as anyone.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 06:59:42 AM »
Not very long ago nearly everything we touched had lead paint on it.  Almost all of our pottery, tinware, spoons, forks, and even glass had lead in it.

much adeu about nothing.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »
I cannot check with my former hunting partner and shooting buddy. He was into heavy duty casting and did not seem to have any side effects.  There was many times when I visited his home that he was melting lead on the gas stove in the kitchen and casting bullets on the counter.  At least he did not smoke.

I have thought about this a number of times after he passed away with cancer.  But he had other exposures during his working life to herbicides, and other chemical cleaners.  Could he been exposed to something growing up in the Up State New York, or was he predisposed to cancer when he was born. He passed before he reached his 60th birthday. 

When you get to be my age you have been exposed to a lot of exhaust fumes driving down the road.  I grew up in a house with lead paint; I drove cars with lead in the fuel, and have eaten game taken with lead bullets and lead shot.  Would I expose my kids and grandkids to lead fumes from melting lead on the kitchen stove, no!
I am aware of new multi-million dollar indoor ranges being shut down until adequate air filtration systems were installed.

When I was growing up my mother was a nurse in the County Hospital.  It seemed like she and dad would be discussing a new lead poisoning case about once a year.  As I recall the victim was always a plumber who was melting lead on a job.  After a new case in the hospitial I recieve another warning to stay away from locations lead was being melted.

I have always purchased commercial cast bullets.  After years of exposure to clean chemicals and lead bullets I have started wearing protective latex gloves.  That can of old GI bore cleaner I have must be rather nasty.

I have a few thousand rounds of .22LR which I will dispose of down range.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58:29 AM »
Our greatest exposue is when shooting esp if the wind is in our face.

Cancer is genetic.  In spite of all the media hype.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for you feedback. Many of these things I have heard before, a few of them I have not. I remember an old-timer at a IDPA shoot telling me that the only people that got lead poisoning from paint were the idiots that ate the paint chips. ::) Makes sence to me! I will practice some new reloading room hygiene procedures and check her toys, especially those made in China.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 05:08:02 PM »
Years ago I worked in a radiator repair shop where one of the guys got lead poisoning, but only after YEARS of soldering without any type of respiratory protection, and smoking at the same time. I doubt that you would get lead poisoning from occasionally casting your own, or reloading, as long as you aren't eating your bullets! [even then, the lead would pass through and not have time to enter your blood stream].

Online gypsyman

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »
I was told by a person, that worked for the EPA, that one thing to be careful of, was children under the age of 12-13,(basically puberty age) shouldn't handle brass or bullets.
Seems that after you pass puberty, your body doesn't absorb as much thru the skin, as before. You'll notice, on mesquito spray, under the age of 10-11, they don't reccomend Deet over 7-11%. Over that age, you can use the higher percentage stuff. It's because the body change at that age.
I would keep her away from the reloading room for a few more years. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 01:41:15 AM »
Have you had the childs drinking water tested?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 05:30:37 AM »
Have you had the childs drinking water tested?

No water for her yet, she still gets her mom's free milk. Mom drinks bottled water.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 05:37:37 AM »
How old is the home you live in(or that she spends a lot of time in)?  Any old furniture in it?

Kudos for keeping her on moms milk.  It's the best thing for her.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 06:16:31 AM »
How old is the home you live in(or that she spends a lot of time in)?  Any old furniture in it?

Kudos for keeping her on moms milk.  It's the best thing for her.

Thanks! We're keeping her on the free milk till she's 1y/o. House is 2 y/o and we do have 2 or three old pieces of furniture. They were hand-me-downs from other family members who never had any problems.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 07:36:41 AM »
Maybe a little OT, but concerning lead poisoning and eating game.  "Total and complete lack of any evidence...".
http://www.nssf.org/BP2/SpecialBP.htm

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 08:36:41 AM »
  Don't know what happen to my last post but none of it came out right. Was suppose to say a year and if working in that place  didn't kill me reloading sure wouldn't.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
  Don't know what happen to my last post but none of it came out right. 

I hope that ain't a sign of lead poisoning.   ;D :D

Swampman mentioned my first thought concerning water supply, and it is still the first place I would look.  You still use tap water to cook and bathe with, which means whatever mom gets so does the little one.  My daughter and SIL are Air Force and spend a lot of time in housing supported by older infrastructure.  Lead and asbestos are a major concern and the reason for base housing upgrades.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
Un-like some others, I don't think she's being or acting excessive, sounds like a good mothers concern for health.

...and we (speaking for myself), would agree that healthy and sound reasoning for concern is advantageous;  particularly reasoning based on certifiable fact; Lead Poisoning is QUANTIFIABLE, VERIFIABLE, and REAL.  

Trouble is, we (speaking for myself but reading a bit of this in Dinny's inquiry) have been "humbled" at times by the Dark side of "women's intuition" - unfounded fears that no other course on God's green Earth was going to disuade.  
Offering our opinions otherwise, never mind the low probability of Dinny's child contracting LP from his reloading, isn't going to disuade a Mother's opinion or her concern.

The point is, the probability of Dinny continuing his lead bullet casting/reloading is STATISTICALLY SMALL.  It is easy to wield LP as a weapon in a PC Society.  I see it brandished in the political maelstrom when shutting down shooting ranges.

Yes, "healthy concern" is a Mother's perogative.  Reasoning with that mindset is a potential disaster.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
The point is, the probability of Dinny continuing his lead bullet casting/reloading is STATISTICALLY SMALL.  

Yes, "healthy concern" is a Mother's perogative.  Reasoning with that mindset is a potential disaster.

I won!  I get to keep the lead as long as it's stays in airtight (rubbermaid) containers and I keep my reloading room pristine. I've agreed to reload in the nude and shower afterwards, reducing the chances of it being in my clothes. ;D  ;D

Now I just hope I can find another cause for the lead source to keep suspicions away from me and my room. I'll keep checking some of those other places that have been suggested.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Online gypsyman

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
Reloading in the nude?? Might give a different meaning to the word ''head space''!Especially when the arm of the press is at the bottom of the stroke!! ;)gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
Well, he does load 45-70,,so it would be a true,

"Buff"alo load.  :D
found elsewhere