Author Topic: reloading and lead exposure  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: reloading and lead exposure
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 06:33:48 AM »
Gun Runner is a busy lead caster I wonder what his thoughts are on the subject.  He is much older than I and has the wisdom of casting a lot of bullets.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
Dinny, 

Get a webcam and some bandwidth, I am sure there are folks that would pay to see "nude" handloading. ;D

Glad you won with the Missus on the lead bullets, with a lot of moms it is their way or the highway regarding their babies health & safety.  You have a good wife that cares for both you and the little one.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »
Dinny, 
Get a webcam and some bandwidth, I am sure there are folks that would pay to see "nude" handloading. ;D
Glad you won with the Missus on the lead bullets, with a lot of moms it is their way or the highway regarding their babies health & safety.  You have a good wife that cares for both you and the little one.
BB

I have all of that, but there's one thing you forgot to mention....a body worth looking at. I need folks to pay and the way things are right now, I would have to pay folks to watch. :( I haven't been in the gym as much as I would have liked to be this year. Something about a new daughter and traveling all the time.

On the next subject, it appears as if I have won a battle but not the war. The whole reloading hygiene thing is getting extreme. I must shower and re-clothe every time I shoot or reload. All my lead bullet are being stored in my packed garage, where my wife wants my reloading bench moved to. As it stands, I have blocked off the ventilation vents in my reloading room, next week we are steam cleaning all the carpets in my house, having the ventilation ducts professionally cleaned, having the water tested at the house and the main, I must wear a jumpsuit whenever I enter my room, I have to have disposable booties for my feet, and the list goes on and on.

Anybody wanna buy some reloading stuff?????  I must have 1000-2000 lead cast bullets, double that in jacketed bullets, 5000 primers, 15 die sets, and at least 8000 pieces of brass that I really don't wanna pack up for the next 5 years. Did I mention that's her goal?!  She wants it all gone for a minimum of 5 years........And nevermind the fact that will start all over if we have another child. :-\ :'( :'(

Anbody wanna new w..........nevermind  ::) ::) ::)

Wish me luck, I may be living by myself soon.

Thanks, Dinny  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
Dinny,

I think your wife has opened the door to you building a Man Cave in your garage.  "Honey, I have to deadbolt the door from the inside when I reload, don't want the little one getting in" ;D   My reload area is a room I built in a very old barn, it is very quite.

Good Luck

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »
Dinny,
I think your wife has opened the door to you building a Man Cave in your garage.  "Honey, I have to deadbolt the door from the inside when I reload, don't want the little one getting in" ;D   My reload area is a room I built in a very old barn, it is very quite.
Good Luck
BB

We move often and therefore rent. No way to build anything here. We have one more year left in this house until we move again.  You can bet that I won't forget this and the next house will be more accommodating. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
Friend, it looks like you need to load some jacketed bullets.

Some years ago I got curious about lead, and picked up some test kits.  I found just about every soil sample I tried from around my area tested fairly high for lead.  Our soil is red and full of iron, and apparently other  things too.  I don't suggest you  try that as the little one may never get to go outside again. 

I don't know what to suggest, because a Mama's love for a little one trumps everything, even reason sometimes.

I would offer to load for ya' but the shipping would make it impractical...so I'll just say..."this too shall pass". 
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »
I have alotta jacketed bullets, but she has been reading online and found that primers are a source of lead.  Something about de-priming bullets makes that lead become airborne. Since a few primers have been found on the floor, the carpets are contaminated and every time I walk in there, I spread that contamination to other rooms.... I want to find something else that is the more probable source maybe then the attetnion will shift away from my reloading stuff.

We're gonna research her toys to find if they were made in China. Who knows when the the next recall will be and what makes the list.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
Is she this zealous in locating and eradicating sources of lead OUTSIDE fo your home environment?  Or is she targeting YOU?  Has she had her breast milk "certified" lead free?  Perhaps she is the CAUSE.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
I would say, the wife is going to have to go the kid can stay.   
But then again that maybe why I'm single.  :D ;D 

You'll work it out.  ;)
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
Is she this zealous in locating and eradicating sources of lead OUTSIDE fo your home environment?  Or is she targeting YOU?  Has she had her breast milk "certified" lead free?  Perhaps she is the CAUSE.

Mom tests 1, baby tests 12.  ???

Thomas Paine

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »
Dinny

I've been loading for over 30 years and worked most of that in chem plants & refineries with lead paint and still have very low lead levels , you may want to look at something that local to the little one and not common to the house , like toys or clothes or her changing table even .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
I'm with Stimpy, Dinny.  I smelt lead for a living some of the time.  When I'm making battery connectors and cables, I smelt more lead in a day that you would in a year of bullet casting.  My lead levels have always been low.  I've always changed and showered when I get home, but my kids and grandkids have never had a problem.

You have not found the source of the lead.  Unless the child is swallowing bullets, I just can't buy that level of contamination.  You need to check everything in the house, including the paint on the walls.  (Children will pull loose paint and eat it).  I don't know the source, but I will be surprised if it's your reloading.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »
Children's skin absorbs more than 7% more substances within their first 5-7 years than any other time afterwards. That explains why Mom's lead level is much lower than babies' lead level. That may even explain why some of your lead levels are low too.  ???

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
Our house will be inspected for lead by the health dept today at 0930.  Hopefully we find the source outside of my man cave. If not, oh well, at least the little one will be better off.  :)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 02:48:23 AM »
Ive been casting shooting and loading for almost 40 years and the guys that know me will tell you that i cast more then most 50 people put together do and probally shoot that much more too. Sure i was treated for lead poisoning but when i was treated the first time the doctor had me have my kids and wife tested too. My kids were in there 20s allready then and had been hanging out with me while i loaded and casted for years and had very low levels of lead in there system. the doc said those levels were just normal for people there age. I do keep the grandkids away from the casting area now and have them wash there hands after they help me load and even occasionaly have them change clothes if i know theyve been around lead but i think your wife is getting a bit carried away in her worrying. Lead cant jump through walls. the major carrier of lead is vapors from getting lead to hot and the temp needed for vaporization is higher then any casting pot will go. the only time you will ever get that lead hot enough is if you get carried away smelting wws. Vapors can also come from shooting if your shooting in a non ventilated indoor range. It comes from the bullets and to some extent the primers. You couldnt shoot enough ammo in your life if shooting outdoors to get lead poisoning though. Your wife has a reason to be a bit nervous about it as lead poisoning in children is bad news but id bet a dime to a dollar it came from another source. Wash your hands and youll take care of 99.9 percent of the problem. If she insists you come in and take a shower and wash your clothes do it but if she got anymore carried away then that id have to put my foot down. Bottom line is theres toxic stuff everywhere. Its in the ari your breath its in the water you  drink and the food your eat. You can run but you cant  hide. Hell they will tell you a hamberger is poison but i aint eating lettuce not spryed with insectisides for the rest of my life either
blue lives matter

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 06:45:19 AM »
Like Dinny said in his original post, he does NOT cast.  He is loading a few cast slugs from an outside source.  Handling such a small amount of lead presents a minimal hazard.  Considering what he does for a living I doubt hand washing is foreign to him.  The lead in primers is only expelled when fired.  It is more than a little safe to assume handloading and shooting are not the source of any problem and I would strongly question the validity of any accusations otherwise.

Then again, I would even have to question the seriousness of the threat.  Most of us here due to our ages have drank a lot of water from pipes that were put together with lead based solder, spent hours on end inside buildings who's piping was covered in asbestos and even walked through clouds of DDT and yet we are left unscathed.  Were we just tougher than kids today?

We've all heard of the Chinese toys containing lead, cribs painted with lead paint and even infant formula laced with lead.  My grandkids from the time they were 2 or even before were hard to keep inside for any period of time so I'm not worried about them.  Their biggest problem is things like bug bites, poison ivy, and stray critters.

In Dinny's case I'm betting on water or child specific items as Stimpy said earlier.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
I have melted tons of lead no kidding . Not as much for bullets but for plumbing . Melt in a ventlated area , outside is best. Any fan that draws off the air in the area will collect the lead dust. I have worked on indoor ranges and the filters used or not used determine the indoor air quality . If your wife has real concerns she may wish to stay away from indoor malls as many have air quality issues also . This is the reason for so many malls being built as open air malls . Once your bullets are formed and kept dry you have little trouble but if see White dust on them be careful . Same for stored lead.
 The ting about working with lead is that you can use common sense to protect yourself and others . The lead in paint , plumbing , elec. work etc. is harder to watch out for. If your home was built before 1978 and you cut into the dry wall you will in many cases be exposed to lead .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »
Update:

The house was inspected and we found a few sources of lead. One was a lamp that was hand painted back in the 70's. It is clean and without holes, gouges, or flakes. We're trashing it anyway, who knows when it might break and emit leads dust into our house. Another was a leaded glass front to a German kitchen schrank/cabinet. Since it is in perfect condition and doesn't come into contact with anything, it will stay. The last one was my man cave. She swabbed my loading bench and is sending the sample to the lab. She could tell from the color of the sterile cloth that it contains lead, but the lab will tell how much. I'm not too worried about it though, she wants me to thoroughly clean it and we'll take another sample at a later date. We also decided to designate a set of Hepa vacuum filters for my man cave and another set for the rest of the house.  That will keep us from possibly cross-contaminating. I will aslo start loading while wearing latex gloves, I have designated a pair of Crocs for only the man cave and my work apron doesn't leave the room.

If the second lab results come back showing high levels, then I will get worried. Until then, I have been cleared to load and store my lead boolits back in the cave!!!!!!!  I'm going now to clean my man cave and start loading bullets. If, for some odd reason, it gets shut down, I wanna have a good supply to get me through for a while.

In the meanwhile, my daughter's levels are not alarming. One child in the area recently had levels in the 70's. :o :o The kid's parents were burning lead-painted wood in their wood burning furnace last winter.  ::) :P

More news to follow at a later date....

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2010, 02:47:17 AM »
Dinny,

I think when you are finished with the decontamination of your man cave you are going to a sterile environment that the CDC could use for their work. ::)  Good luck with your efforts and hope Mom doesn't put you out of the reloading business.

BB

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2010, 03:14:54 AM »
Good luck with your problem, when it comes to your kids, you just can’t be to safe, I hope you get it to the wife’s satisfaction, I like many on here I cast and reload, have so for years, just the fact that you know lead can be a problem, is a very positive step, and that if some hygiene and simple house keeping in the reloading room are not followed it can be dangerous to you and your family, is a very positive step.
My opinion on lead poisoning in casting or reloading, and this is just my opinion, if the truth were known most would come from hand to mouth contact, just plain carelessness.
One other thing I would suggest, a while back I bought some range brass from a guy on line, he claimed he had tested high lead levels from Tumbling brass in a closed office trailer, I would think his time in numerous in-door ranges did not help. But it may be a good idea to tumble brass out side.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 08:56:33 AM »
A count of 12 is a serious level for a child.  The question that comes up is all states using the same measuring system?

http://www.health.state.ny.us/publications/2526.pdf

Areas on and around Air Bases are noted for their high level of hazardous waste.  They are still cleaning up bases shut down by the Clinton Administration so they can be turned over to civilians.  Toxic waste has seeped out of the bases into off base housing and building.  Before communities built up to the gates the boundaries of many bases were much larger during WWII.   Many acres have gone to civilian developers in which the military claimed that all munitions had been cleaned up.  Home builder’s bull dozers continue to find munitions and old chemical dumps.

The chemicals used to clean aircraft engines are very powerful and have found their way into ground water.  Chemicals were found to be migrating up the walls of homes just off a California base.  At first the Air Forest claimed it was not responsible.  Later investigation found the area was part of the base in WWII and it was a dumpsite.  DOD has purchased those homes.  This happens to be the same base the AF air rescue people put a session on for us on treating gunshot wounds.  Fine, smart, men who provide service beyond the norm.

I have been in some old buildings on bases that the guys call a “paint chip factory” from all the old paint peeling off the walls.  I can remember the days when Lead Based paint was the way to go because it offered longevity. 

If there is a gathering spot on base where the wives take the little guys I would be concerned.  The U.S. Government has consumed a lot of lead base paint over the years.

I hate to think about the lead/mercury in my drinking water as it flows in my copper pipes that likely have lead solder in the joints.  During the gold rush a lot of mercury was used to separate the gold out.  They now advise us not to eat the bass, and perch that live in the lakes our water comes from.

Dinny in 45 years of marriage I have gone from the kitchen table to the garage because of different housing.  I have been in the same little space for over twenty years which has expanded to two benches.  But you have me thinking.  The other day the wife caught me running the shop vac because I had spilled a bunch of spent primers on the floor.  But the “light” came on yesterday afternoon, a little slow but it came on.  I have an old but good army footlocker that I have been storing a fair inventory off bullets.  I was taking count of jacked .277 bullets.  At the bottom was a box of 150-grain Hornady Spire Point bullets; one of my favorite bullets.  They were blacken with corrosion from thirty years of storage.  I put them in my tumbler for a couple hours to clean them up a little, not the full shine job.  This morning I thought about fine lead particles coming off the exposed tips. 

Normal practice for me is to run the tumbler with the lid on and after seeing the suggestion to put a couple of used anti-static sheets in tumbler it seems the operation is cleaner.  This winter I bought a 50-pound bag of fine grade Walnut shell for tumbling at the local feed store for $11.

Old Syko offered a good reminder because it dropped out of my memory bank.  Dinny does not cast bullets; he is user of cast bullets. 

In recent weeks I have been checking my inventory of bullets, some going down range, and new ones being added.  I have a couple thousand plus lead bullets on hand, plus a lot of jacketed bullets with exposed lead tips.  I added 500 JHP .357 bullets recently in a deal with my brother.

I am not worry about it.  My loading practices have changed over the years.  With the advent of cheap latex gloves I have a box near my loading bench and I wear them.  I started wearing them when cleaning firearms.  For a long time I used the old GI stuff.  That is the one thing my wife is picky about, when I used that the cloths I was wearing immediately went into the laundry basket, and I hit the shower.  A couple of quarts of that last a long time, but I keep it around if I am shooting some old military ammo at the range. 

Rental property is tough; I have raided a few drug labs that were in rentals.  I suspect the landlord did not tell the next renters the property up for rent was a drug lab.  I know of a couple of college students who rebuilt a car engine in the bath tub of their rental.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 05:18:18 PM »
U-P-D-A-T-E

My daughter's lead level is down to 10. That was taken two weeks after the second reading of 12.  Momma feels better about what we're doing to reduced our daughter's exposure and things have lightened-up a bit around the house.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 06:36:35 PM »
Just a bit off track Dinny but has your little one been around any pet toys? A few years ago when there was much-ado with toys coming from China laced with lead I bought one of those home test kits for lead and tested some of our dogs toys, mainly those that had painted stuff on them, and many of them showed traces of lead and got tossed.
Just a thought anyway...

Hope she continues to lower her lead levels and that you stay in momma's good graces.  ;)

Bill

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »
Just a bit off track Dinny but has your little one been around any pet toys? A few years ago when there was much-ado with toys coming from China laced with lead I bought one of those home test kits for lead and tested some of our dogs toys, mainly those that had painted stuff on them, and many of them showed traces of lead and got tossed.
Just a thought anyway...

Hope she continues to lower her lead levels and that you stay in momma's good graces.  ;)

Bill

Bill,
  No pets here. Momma doesn't like dogs  :( and I hate cats. >:(  Although some of our family members have pets, we're not around them very often at all. Good looking-out for us, I appreciate it.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
May not be lead, but be sure and do your laundry before returning home from H-L; lots of poison oak.  Put some training on using part of Camp Roberts which is not too far away and about 60% of the folks got poison oak.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2010, 01:16:24 AM »
Dinny one thing to keep in mind is the accuarcy of the tests. When i was being treated they gave me 4 tests over a two week period just to get a baseline and in those test mine varied from 52 to 89. I was told at that time that anything over 30 is a consern and anything over 50 is not good. Now thats in an adult.
blue lives matter

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
May not be lead, but be sure and do your laundry before returning home from H-L; lots of poison oak.  Put some training on using part of Camp Roberts which is not too far away and about 60% of the folks got poison oak.

Thanks for the info. I don't plan to get close enough for any exposure, but I'll remember that just the same.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2010, 01:08:20 PM »
Dinny one thing to keep in mind is the accuarcy of the tests. When i was being treated they gave me 4 tests over a two week period just to get a baseline and in those test mine varied from 52 to 89. I was told at that time that anything over 30 is a consern and anything over 50 is not good. Now thats in an adult.

We'll keep close tabs on the levels for the next year or so.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine