Sights
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Anyone here put different sights on their Tracker II and how do you like them

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Sights
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Both my 20ga & 12ga are drilled & tapped I had a Tru Glo 2X red dot on the 20ga for deer season last year. it now wears a Simmons 4X32 pro diamond and the 12 ga has a Banner 1.5X4.5X32 with my eyes i havent shot open sights in over a decade.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I have a 20 gauge Pardner barrel that I bought last year off the classifieds and I had also bought a scope rail, and finally last week I took it to the gunsmith to have it drilled and taped.

Well, they wanted as much to drill and tap it as a new gun would cost so I brought it home and decided to do it myself.   I took it slow and checked and double checked before I drilled one hole and the finished product came out fine, and didn't cost me a thing.  I drilled and taped and also epoxied the base and mounted a 4 X 32 shotgun scope I had and it shoots Remington sluggers into a nice 2" group at 50 yards.

This should make a great all around gun for deer, hogs, using slugs, and birds if I want to load up with some shot shells.

I also have a 20 gauge Tracker ll that came with a scope rail mounted, no iron sights, and I have a Simmons 3 x 9 mounted on it, and it shoots Remington Buckhammers like a precision deer rifle.   I've taken a couple deer and numerous hogs with that gun.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline cantankerous

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »
I'm trying to work up the nerve to drill and tap. I've done so often enough in other applications, but never on a firearm. How deep is safe? Any other info I need?

Any and all advice would be deeply appreciated.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
I had a gunsmith do mine so I can't help ya out
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
I'm trying to work up the nerve to drill and tap. I've done so often enough in other applications, but never on a firearm. How deep is safe? Any other info I need?

I did my 20 gauge Pardner barrel and I drilled it deep enough to only catch by a couple of threads, so I had to cut down the screws also.  All I can say is I feel it's safe for me, and I'm not saying my way is the safe way.    I cleaned the scope rail and barrel where they made contact down to the bare metal and cleaned both and then epoxied the surfaces and screwed them down tight.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »

I drilled and tapped my M1908 12ga for a WGRS peep sight, drilled one blind hole just .020 short of all the way thru, shortened a 6-48 screw and attached it with the screw and Loctite 380 Blackmax, worked fine. The hardest part is finding center, once there it's easy in a drill press, you can set a stop to limit depth, once drilled, use the drill chuck to start the tap while the barrel is still in the vise, you'll need a taper tap to start it, you'll likely have to remove the tip of the tap depending on how deep the hole is so you don't bottom out before you start cutting threads, and a plug tap or broken tap that's been ground square to finish it. Did the same thing for the front sight, but it was already drilled for the bead, all I had to do was drill it out and tap it 6-48 and make a real short screw!! ;D

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:50 AM »
I drilled & tapped my 22" 12ga handi barrel for a WGRS peep.  I use a drill press/compound vise setup.  I went 1/10" deep (0.10) with a #31 bit.  That allows over 4 turns (using a 6-48 screw) if you bottom out the hole.  I too remove the drill bit and, without moving the barrel, use the chuck to get the tap started straight.  I started with a bottom tap and then used one ground square to finish.  Interesting thing is, the screws that came with the WGRS sight were not quite that long.  I didn't have to shorten them at all.   

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Just curious, what did you use for a front sight with the WGRS, and how did you determine the height?
Tony212

Offline cantankerous

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »
Thanks. This helps a lot.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:14:44 PM »
Just curious, what did you use for a front sight with the WGRS, and how did you determine the height?
Tony212

I'm not sure what the sight came off of, but I think it's a TC sight, I machined the back edge off square and mounted it reversed to how it was intended to be mounted originally, the bead hole is too close to the end of the barrel to mount normally and I didn't want to put another hole in the barrel. It's ~.450" tall, the WGRS is right at the top of the ramp to pattern well with 2¾" turkey loads.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,204954.msg1099075160.html#msg1099075160
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain