Author Topic: finally took the plunge...  (Read 948 times)

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
finally took the plunge...
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:48:39 PM »
The thing I liked about the Handi Rifle concept is that it can give me the opportunity to shoot more different chamberings without buying whole new guns; as a reloader, I like it !
But for over a year my poor little handi 223 ultralight languished with only one barrel. I recently got up the nerve and the cash, called H&R to make sure 357 mag barrels are in stock (he said yes), and sent my frame and fore end to Ilion.
UPS verified delivery at almost exactly the same time that Remington sent me their repair status email, which as a timely and pleasant surprise. Now Im watchin the repair status, waiting until it moves past "received and logged in"...
I am also doing the scope swap calculations. I have a 1.2 by 4.5 Bushnell Banner on my 788 that would go good on the 357 handi, and a 3 by 9 bushnell on my Savage 111 which would go good on the 788, and then...I have been wanting to try one of the new Redfields that Leupold is building on the 111...Dreaming, planning, and thinking about shooting is almost as much fun as shooting itself !
I also am thinking about 357 mag vs 357 max, which I could do, and then going all the way to 35 Remington, which is what I really want. Has anybody reamed a 357 Handi barrel to 35 Rem ? Is it a gunsmith job ?
thanks, guys, ive been gone a while, but Ill be around now again.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: finally took the plunge...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
Or you could check out a gunsmith in your area and support your local economy. ;)
They don't all need to go to Oregon.

Spanky

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »
The occular lens on that Bushnell is so large it doesn't work as well on the Handi as some others.  I hate that as it's one of my favorite scopes.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
Or you could check out a gunsmith in your area and support your local economy. ;)
They don't all need to go to Oregon.

Spanky

If his area gunsmiths are like what I have around these parts...he's better off sending somewhere... :D :D :D :D :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:25 PM »
The thing I liked about the Handi Rifle concept is that it can give me the opportunity to shoot more different chamberings without buying whole new guns; as a reloader, I like it !
But for over a year my poor little handi 223 ultralight languished with only one barrel. I recently got up the nerve and the cash, called H&R to make sure 357 mag barrels are in stock (he said yes), and sent my frame and fore end to Ilion.
UPS verified delivery at almost exactly the same time that Remington sent me their repair status email, which as a timely and pleasant surprise. Now Im watchin the repair status, waiting until it moves past "received and logged in"...
I am also doing the scope swap calculations. I have a 1.2 by 4.5 Bushnell Banner on my 788 that would go good on the 357 handi, and a 3 by 9 bushnell on my Savage 111 which would go good on the 788, and then...I have been wanting to try one of the new Redfields that Leupold is building on the 111...Dreaming, planning, and thinking about shooting is almost as much fun as shooting itself !
I also am thinking about 357 mag vs 357 max, which I could do, and then going all the way to 35 Remington, which is what I really want. Has anybody reamed a 357 Handi barrel to 35 Rem ? Is it a gunsmith job ?
thanks, guys, ive been gone a while, but Ill be around now again.

Congrats on the new barrel..let us know how it shoots when you get it home.

If the Redfield 2x7 is as good as what everyone is saying about them..that just might be the ticket for you 35 cal..I got peep sights coming with my 500 S&W barrel..but when I get my 444..I think I'll get one of them to have for both with a set of Leupold quick detachable rings.The price is certainly doable..and they got a pretty good warranty on them..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »
For the Handi, you can't beat the Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32.  It allows you to used med. rings.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »
Thanks, guys, lots of good input offered. The Handi's hammer does make getting a scope mounted low a challenge.
BTW, I got a call today from Remington (I keep having to do the mental conversion Remington = H&R, lol). They wanted approval and payment on their estimate, which they got. I checked to Repair Progress link they sent me, and it was current, saying the same thing the caller did.
I am favorably impressed so far. I sent it on the 10th and they had it by the 17th. Today, the 24th, they are ready to do it, pending my approval of their estimate. So only 2 weeks so far, and they are supposedly starting on it. I think the "Repair Progress Tracking" feature is a really nice touch. (I sent another gun to Savage on the same day, and except for UPS saying it was delivered, I have no idea where my rifle is within the Savage factory...) Now, if they just send me back a Handi Rifle that shoots straight, I will say "Good Job !"

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
I just got an email saying that my gun has shipped, and I can expect to have it by July 9th. This will be basically one month from my door, to theirs, and back to mine.

The e-tracking of repair, and then on shipping, is great. I hate the feeling knowing that your gun is "somewhere" in a big factory and "something" is being (or not) done to it by "somebody...

I have great expectations that when I have new 357 Handi in my hands, it will work as well as their system does.

Hoorah for Remington/H&R1871 !

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:34:56 AM »
As in," we are not at liberty to discuss what may, or may not, be being done by anyone who may, or may not, be here"?
Hope it is all you have hoped for!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
new Handi barrel in 1 month, good job Remington !
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:51 AM »
I sent in my Handi Rifle on the 10th of June and got it back on the 9th of July with a new 357 mag barrel. They kept me informed with email notices at each step of the process, which I really liked. I don't have a scope on it yet so I don't know how well it really shoots; but one shot at a few yards using the sight base and barrel as "sights" hit 6 inches high and perfectly centered in windage.
There were 2 nice surprises. The original barrel is a 223 Ultralight, something I don't think about since it was my only barrel. The new barrel is 2 inches longer, and with a heavier contour, almost seems like a bull barrel; the scope mount doesn't hang out cantilevered in mid-air like the 223. I also asked them to do the "free trigger job" I have read about here, but didn't know if they were still doing it. Well, they are ! The trigger is much improved, not a lot lighter, but much smoother and crisp.
Anyway I am quite pleased, and I think they did a good job. Add to that the good experiences I have had with Lee and Savage on warrantee service in the last month, and I'm in a much better mood altogether !

Offline Crow Juice

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
You know one of the great things about a Handirifle is that it is "handy" . With that thought in mind you have several high powered rifles for hunting and shooting at long range .I think a 357mag barrel is a great way to go . Most of my shooting is 20 to 100 yards  and your 357 would be fine at these ranges . You can carry  tons of ammo and it's cheap compared to rifle  ammo .  Another thing to consider  is you can get 357's anywhere .I have a Marlin 44mag and matching 44mag Blackhawk just for carrying when I'm not sure what to take . You never know when your going to run into Zombies!!!!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
I reamed a hosed up 357 Max barrel to 35 Remington a few months back, not sure I heard how it shot, but it sure looked nice.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.