Author Topic: Newbe to Swaging Bullets  (Read 2753 times)

Offline kb4vwa

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbe to Swaging Bullets
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:59:12 AM »
I recently returned from Iraq and was looking to get into making bullets for my long rang shooting with my 12 year old son.  I currently shoot the Berger 185 BT bullet, which shoots best in my rifle. There are so many questions I have and would like to get a press to get started, but I am overwhelmed with the amount of information on the subject. I would like to start with a Walnut Hill press and the required dies to build my Berger 185 BT, Sierra 175 BT, plus some .224 BT for my other rifles. And last, my 9 mm pistol bullets. These are the only three I am interested in. Can anyone please help me get started?   I need some direction what press would be a good investment and not become obsolete within a few years.  I would consider a used Walnut Hill if anyone is thinking of retiring from the hobby and has the dies I require for the above calibers and bullets I am wanting to build.

Any suggestions, or advice is much appreciated!    Please e-mail me direct with contact information if I can call anyone who may be willing to chat with me by phone and bring me up to speed on this subject.

Thank you much!
Regards,

Ed

Offline Smokin7mm

Re: Newbe to Swaging Bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:49:03 AM »
The walnut hill is a great press.  I have used one for the last 10 years without a hitch.  Berger's are nice bullets and expensive (but which ones arent these days.  I swage for 22, 6mm, 6.5mm & 7mm.  My 6.5 & 7mm are similar to Sierra MK's with slight BT motifications.  Dies are from RCE also.  The issue with making a Berger style bullet is closing up the needle point.  My last visit to Richard Corbin (RCE) I discussed this with him and he said that it was most likely a 2 piece point form die.  Very trickey to make as the transition is between the straight part and ogive but he wasnt sure exactly what they used.  Normal swaging dies use a ejection pin to eject the bullet from the die which leaves an open tip the size of the pin.
Bret

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:24:13 AM »
  Another thing to consider is, to make TRUE match grade bullets, it's not easy to do at home.  Your dies have to be just about perfect, and you have to do everything exactley right, every time.  Also you have to have excelent jackets ect...

Good bullets can be made, but true long range match grade bullets are a different animal.

DM

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »
O.K. There are two big dogs in this arena. Brothers Dave Corbin and Richard Corbin. Formerly partners. [corbins.com and rceco.com]   Dave is the more talkative. He has his book on his web site, along with a number of others, for review, study, download, etc. I know of no other place you can access as much information. And he takes questions by email... Yes, his prices are a bit higher, but he promotes, promotes, promotes... "the blood of business..." Richard had 4 chapters of his book on his web site for study... He takes questions too...

Richard has a Sea Girt press that would do you work for $275... (plus ship). Your call/ your budget.

Mr. Blackmon, no web I know of, makes fine dies out of Louisana. His address is in the back of Gun Digest Annuals I have. Older come to think of it.

For the top "match bullets" Deutsch and Nemi, die makers, are common names. You pay more. You wait longer. You get more. Can you, i.e. do you have the patience to make it work???, make it work. -?????????-

Many, many people have made it work... Others found it an expensive and  distracting hobby. You have to make that call. Luck.

Offline kb4vwa

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
I want to thank everyone for the great replies and advice.   It seems to me that making my own match grade bullets is going to require expensive dies.  Maybe it's best if I just find some BR swager with a .30 caliber BT die and see if I can even come close to what I need.  It sounds like even if I purchase an expensive 30 caliber die for match grade BT bulllets there is NO gurantee I will have equal to, or better bullets then the Bergers.  Berger seems to make a jacket that is hard to beat.

I appreciate all the advice from eveyone.    If anyone hears of a Walnut Hill press for sale, please forward me the contact information.   I will then keep researching the 30 caliber dies and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

Ed 

Offline MIBullets

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Ed, no one will guarantee that dies they make will be better than anything else out there. They can make them as best they can and many of them make bullets as good as Bergers. My Dad is currently making .30 caliber long range bullets. The BC rivals the Berger and has accounted for more than a few wins in F class matches. He is using a Corbin Mega Mite press and Corbins H dies. I'm telling you this so you know that these guys can make dies capable of doing what you want.

The main difference between the Corbin and the Deutsch/Nemi dies is the steel they are made of and the price. Corbin makes his from tool steel and Deutsch/Nemi make theirs from carbide which is much harder and will last forever in a hand press, but the cost is 10X more.

Offline shrail

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:48:22 AM »
I have a Blackmons press and a set of 308 cal bt dies for sale. With jackets by sierra 1000 off. A 224 set BT with a Walnut Hill press  and a set for making jackets from rf fired cases as well as 355dies 9mm by Corbin for the Blackmon press or Cobin press                             
shrail2@yahoo.com.