Author Topic: cold weather hunting gear  (Read 1073 times)

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
cold weather hunting gear
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:28:36 PM »
im heading out to colorado this fall for an elk hunt.

ive been living down south for a few years and have gotten rid of my cold weather hunting clothes.

i need some reccomendations for some quality warm gear;

orange hat

sox

under layer

outer layer

jacket/coat

gloves

boots

and any other things i may have missed.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
Re: cold weather hunting gear
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »
Silk sox liners
High riding (above the knee) high quality wool socks

Silk athletic long johns (top and bottom)

Wool shirt
Wool vest
Either a lighter weight wool coat or or some other water repelant material such oilskin. Adjustable cuffs, adjutable draw string, good pocket storage,zipper front with snap overlay.

Danner insulated high top boots
Water proof Leggans
Wool pants and or high quaility dark color jeans

Leather gloves lined
Insulated gloves (back ups fir when it really cold!)

Hats (ski cap, western hat or ball cap style, hood)
Dickie to cover neck
Neoprean full face mask
Heat packs
Lip balm
Battery heated socks
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »
After trying several brands of boots, and being thouroughly let down by all, my son convinced me to buy a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter's. They have proven to be warm, 100% water proof, very light, extremely comfortable in all conditions, rugged and worth every penny I paid for them. I'd recomend a pair. Take extra gloves and socks. Extra knife. Waterproof matches

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »
wool and redwings for me. Granted some of the new high tech crap may be better but wool and redwings has served me well for 40 years of hunting and i dont see a reason to change now.
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:22:29 AM »
Sorry...I'll take a pass on the wool.  I like polar fleece...it dries faster in my opinion.  Also, I always wear a gortex shell of some kind over it, mostly to break the wind.  I have a pair of Danner Hood Winter lites boots, all leather that I bought at the Danner boot factory seconds outlet...indestructable!!  Warm??  to a point.  If I'm dealing with snow and cold...it's my LL Bean Maine Hunting Boot with the rubber bottom and felt liners, though, north woods terrain is fine, I'd hate to have to hike mountains in them.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline dukkillr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:18 AM »
If you will be hunting the first rifle season it won't be that cold... If you will be hunting the late season it could be ridiculously cold.  

I'll be out there for the first season in October and I'll be wearing my usual stuff.

A good base layer is where you need to start.  I wear the under armor cold gear.  It's more expensive than duofold (which I also have but no longer use) but it worth it.  Then I'll wear a heavy shirt, a fleece vest, and an insulated fleece jacket.  I've retired the wool, but that maybe because of my waterfowling roots. 

If it's below 30 or windy I'll wear a heavier down coat.  

I'll just wear the same base layer on my legs and a layer of duofold and then some heavy hunting pants.  If it's cold I've got some heavy duty insulated bibs from Cabelas but they really are more for stationary hunting than climbing in the mountains.  My legs don't get cold.

For boots I wear some lightly insulated hiking boots from Cabelas.  Generally people spend too much money on warm boots for elk hunting.  You will be walking, hiking, climbing and sweating.  Big clunky boots that would keep you warm during the arctic winter are not what you need.  Even when it's extremely cold your feet won't get that cold.

I've got a light set of gortex raingear that I carry with me.  If it's cold and I'm stationary I'll put them on to cut down the wind.  I also sometimes carry a piece of foam like they sell for gardeners and sit on it if I'll be glassing awhile.

In short, don't over do it.  Mega warm stuff will make you mega sweat.  The stuff I use for Kansas rifle deer season is even too warm.  You're not after polar bears...

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:22:08 PM »
If you are walking, you will need less clothing than if you are ridding a horse.  When on a horse, if you get cold, get off and lead the horse for a mile and you will be warm again.  If you are sitting, the most important issue is not to overheat before you sit down to hunt.  Moisture is your enemy (on you body) and your friend (in your body).

When walking in the early season, a pair of cowboy boots and jeans may be all you need - just don't get wet. 

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »
When you say Colorado fall Elk hunt, I guess it all depends on what part of the fall and what elevation you may be at .......I would assume your going to be in the high country and prone to alot of hiking up and down....Dressing on layers and using clothing that will keep you dry from your own sweat is one critical aspect.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline troy_mclure

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 02:05:48 AM »
it will be in the 2nd rifle season up in the high country.

Offline Justin10mm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
I went last year for the first time. I live about 30 minutes from A Cabela's store so that's were I got most of my stuff. Money was a bit tight so I got a lot of clothes from the bargain cave (were they put discounted items) I was able to get fully outfitted for about 1/3 of what I would have payed otherwise. My biggest find was a heavy wool parka and matching wool bibs for half off regular price.

The only thing I had to order was an orange fleece vest that would be big enough to be worn over the large coat.

Definitely look into getting some good long underwear.

A good quality water proof tarp is a useful thing to bring along. Your butt will thank you if you have to sit down in some snow.

A military surplus wool blanket is nice to have.

GPS, GPS, GPS, GPS, don't leave home without it!   

My best advice is to be prepared for the worst weather possible. 

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:09:16 PM »
Having lived in Southern CA for many years my blood thinned too.
When headed to Montana a few years ago in October, I had to get cold weather gear.
Learned a lot.
All I can tell you is:
Carry extra boots, gloves and hats.
Dress in layers.
As the day wears on you will warm up but once that sun goes down so does the thermometer.
I keep a wool sweater in a Zip Loc bag in either the saddle bag, back pack, or truck.
Same with the gloves, Filson hunting hat, balaclava, and a pair of socks.
I bought a set of the cheaper Herters 3 in 1 coats and a pair of bibs.  I think set was less than $200.
They are water proof and warm.  Here is a picture of me in them with the Filson hat.  Good hat!  I removed the hood but can snap it ack on any time.  They make the same set up in Orange and Duck patterns.
This is in Idaho and I lost my Orange vest on the way up.  A tree snagged on it and the horse kept going, it was torn off like stripper clothes.
I also have some Woolrich bibs as well as Filson gear.  If it was warm or wet the day before I have different clothes to change out of and keep dry.
I am not big on the Poly or polar fleece stuff as I am kind of furry and I build a static charge. :D

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »
GPS's are fine, I have one, but I have run into more than one person in the mountains that had dead batteries. A good compass, topo map, and knowing how to use them, are the way to go. They work in all kinds of weather, heavy tree cover, and don't require an outside power source.

Offline Justin10mm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 06:38:17 AM »
I got my deer right at dark about a half mile from my atv. I marked the location of the deer and walked back to get my hunting buddy and pack frames. My GPS led us right back to the deer in the dark without having to walk all over the ridge looking for him.

I don't know if we would have been able to find him in the dark without my GPS.

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:43 AM »
Justin10mm
I'm not saying that GPS's aren't useful, I do use them, I once rode 4 hours up a mountain in a snow storm to pack out a real nice Bull Elk, and the GPS didn't get us there. I don't know if the hunter didn't know how to use the thing or the weather was a factor. We spent several hours before the guide who was with the hunter when he shot the animal the day before, found the spot where they had lunch that day and knew which direction to go from there. I also realize that a map wouldn't have helped that day either as you couldn't see landmarks in the storm. That Bull was ready to load when we found it, and It was a start in the  dark and end in the dark day. The compass got us back the the rigs.
I have a map company here that will create custom topo maps for me they down load information from my Garmin Etrex (the $99 version) and I use them to show hunters where to go.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
Justin10mm
I'm not saying that GPS's aren't useful, I do use them, I once rode 4 hours up a mountain in a snow storm to pack out a real nice Bull Elk, and the GPS didn't get us there. I don't know if the hunter didn't know how to use the thing or the weather was a factor. We spent several hours before the guide who was with the hunter when he shot the animal the day before, found the spot where they had lunch that day and knew which direction to go from there. I also realize that a map wouldn't have helped that day either as you couldn't see landmarks in the storm. That Bull was ready to load when we found it, and It was a start in the  dark and end in the dark day. The compass got us back the the rigs.
I have a map company here that will create custom topo maps for me they down load information from my Garmin Etrex (the $99 version) and I use them to show hunters where to go.
I have had problems with a GPS in the mountains.  It is the tree cover.   The antenae can not see the satalites and it gets lost.
Finding an open area and letting the GPS reaquire works.
I use a compass and GPS.  GPS to log places and if I get lost find my way back by giving me a distance and heading to the truck, camp, or what have you and then using the compass in the heavy woods.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
You really need to find out from your outfitter what the hunt will be like as far as physical activity, and altitude go. Honestly if I move much at all 400g thinsulated boots work down to -10. Absolutely positively get several pairs of moreno wool socks from medium weight to heavy I much prefer medium for walking.  I have a couple sets of expedition weight long underwear and a couple sets of med weight, from Polartec and love the stuff. I'm a layer person but could see dressing fairly light and carrying a heavy one piece garmint to quickly put on or take off when stopping.

A medium size pack that can hold your coat is a good idea, throw a breathable rain suit in there as well. While walking in and out your coat is way too warm, sit down for 15 minutes and you are now under dressed. The rain gear makes a good wind block if it's relatively mild and the coat is self explanitory. The Cabelas Dry Plus has been good to me especially when comparing cost of Gore Tex. Besides a hat include a Balaclava in your kit, nearly as warm as a hood and it will move with your head.

I encountered 28 - 45 degree days, wind from 20 sustained to dead calm, snow, rain, and bright sunshine. I am not exagerating when I say every condition described occured within 30 minutes, gnats swarming and 2 minutes later snow falling 10 minutes later gnats again.

This is first gun season NW Co. 7500ft
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**