Author Topic: Its your guys fault.  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Its your guys fault.
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
Several years ago I made my first cannon. It was a simple afair, a half inch grade 5 bolt with 3/16" hole drilled lenghtwise for a bore and a small touch hole. A pinch of powder behind a bb would make grown men giggle.

This spring unemployment was taking its toll on me and I spent entirely to much time online. I found this forum as a result. I don't own or have access to a lathe so the cannon was made on a drillpress and involved a great deal of fileing. Since I was blessed with an excess amont of time I was able to go slow and it turned out well. The bore is centered and has very little runout. The cannon is 9 inches in length overall, the bore is 1/2" and 7" deep.

It is only a .50, but a patched round ball in front of 35 grains of BP makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Now I want a bigger one so I have to go and buy a lathe and I blame the members of this forum.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Re: Its your guys fault.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:55 PM »
Bubber,

Your patience and understanding of a drill bit are notable, but I have a question. How many times do you need to shoot your cannon before your cheeks start aching, (from smiling hard)?

Michael

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Welcome Bubber , where there's will  theres a way !
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum....I think you already like it here, and your project looks pretty good! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:39:24 AM »
Bubber -

WELCOME to the board!

I really admire the cannons made with a MINIMUM of tooling.

Smoke and flame PIX?  How about an entry in the postal match?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Bubber

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:53:21 AM »
Ask and you shall recive.

Please excuse the excessivly long fuse, that was the first time I had fired it and wanted to be behing somthing slightly larger than a camera. Thank you for your compliments. I enjoy metalwork much more than woodwork which would be evident if you look closely at the carrage. But it was a fun project. About 3 times Michael.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
Nothing ever wrong with using a longer fuse, save for when you need the gun to go off with precision timing.  Youve done good to build that with nothing but a drill press.  I've considered making a cannon using a press...but I don't have the press. ;D

While you may not like the woodworking aspect, I think it will grow on you the longer you stay on this forum - you'll want your gun to be as pretty as Zulus, and that just can't be acheived without spending some time in sawdust. ;)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »
Nothing ever wrong with using a longer fuse, save for when you need the gun to go off with precision timing.  Youve done good to build that with nothing but a drill press.  I've considered making a cannon using a press...but I don't have the press. ;D

While you may not like the woodworking aspect, I think it will grow on you the longer you stay on this forum - you'll want your gun to be as pretty as Zulus, and that just can't be acheived without spending some time in sawdust. ;)

Sawdust is my middle name. :P
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »
It appears as though some child has lost their tricycle wheels. I hope you did the right thing and stole them from the neighbor.

Offline Jax

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
I like it!  and im glad im not the only one now without proper wheels!!

A buddy of mine told me that he knows someone with a lathe that we can use.  First thing on both our minds....  WE GONNA BUILD A CANNON!!  ;D
Justin

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »

Zulu

Looks like a sawdust pile from a reality television show...all fake and and staged. Bet that sawdust was trucked in....look at the floor in the back, spotless...probably fake sawdust , made of fiberglass, probably left over from a Mythbusters show.    ;D

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »

Zulu

Looks like a sawdust pile from a reality television show...all fake and and staged. Bet that sawdust was trucked in....look at the floor in the back, spotless...probably fake sawdust , made of fiberglass, probably left over from a Mythbusters show.    ;D

I buy sawdust by the bag and spread it around the floor to look like I have a project going on. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 06:48:27 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 01:35:48 AM »
Probably get the big discount for quantity too.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »
I like it!  and im glad im not the only one now without proper wheels!!

A buddy of mine told me that he knows someone with a lathe that we can use.  First thing on both our minds....  WE GONNA BUILD A CANNON!!  ;D

When I was building the field carriage for the 1/4 scale Napoleon, I bought a set of cheap 14" hi-wheel lawnmower wheels to do stand-in duty for the Amish wooden wheels I planned to order. Because of budget constraints, the carriage ended up rolling on the mower wheels for a LONG time! They served well, many shots were fired from the mower-wheeled carriage...

Now these serve on my makeshift limber/wagon...

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »
Don't look like lawnmower wheels to me, look like rountuit wheels.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »
Well at least I am a member a forum that's being blamed for something worthwhile.....
we helped you with something that was already there.... this site just brought it out.....

At least we are not being blamed for one of the following.....

1 driven to divorce
2 driven to drink or drugs
3 satan worship

Looking forward to seeing what you build next.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Bubber

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 06:45:42 PM »
Thank you all for the compliments. Everything there was salvaged from the scrap iron pile or the woodshed. I am not sure where the tricycle came from but it happily gave up its wheels for the noble cause.

And Kabar
I have never been married, but things like this are one of the reasons.
This is but one of the many reasons I have driven some of the nieghbors to drink.
The satan worship thing, well everyone is in the clear there.

I started shooting black powder about 3 years after I was old enough to hold up a rifle so I am sure this will not be my last project in this venue. It will have to wait a while though as I have about a dozen other things to do that take priority in my little world.

Thank you again. 

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 05:11:59 AM »
Well at least I am a member a forum that's being blamed for something worthwhile.....
we helped you with something that was already there.... this site just brought it out.....

At least we are not being blamed for one of the following.....

1 driven to divorce
2 driven to drink or drugs
3 satan worship

Looking forward to seeing what you build next.

Allen <><

But..but...he will be increasing his Carbon Footprint!  Adding to Global Warming!  Using scarce resources for frivolous activities!

Satan worship is a small thing in comparison.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.