Author Topic: crossbow  (Read 1352 times)

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
crossbow
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:42:06 AM »
I am considering getting one where my girls can archery hunt with me. I will probably use it too since they are legal for everyone now. Just curious if anyone else was considering a crossbow for archery season this year.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: crossbow
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:53:52 AM »
i too am going to try the cross bow this year. but i think that most of the time i will be useing a compound. i just feel more comfadent with my compound. the recoil or lack of recoil has been hard for me to get used to the cross bow.                rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:21:16 AM »
I have never shot one before. Considering trading my bow in on a Xbow but hate to get rid of my mathews in case I don't like it. Save my $$$ and see what happens I guess. I bought a pistol to try and make more of a challenge now considering a Xbow hoping it will make archery easier. ;D
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline bronco73401

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
Crossbows are allowed now without a drs letter? Wow did not know this. Interesting. May have to get one now.

Lance
NRA Member
USAF Desert Storm Veteran

Offline elkstalkr

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:21:32 AM »
Yep, they are allowed now without a DR letter.  Kinda snuck up on everybody!  I already purchased an Xbow and plan to come down mid-october to hunt with it.  I am originally from Okie and have some family property there.

Offline Gohon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:12:16 AM »
since they are legal for everyone now

When Did this change?  One always had to have a certified letter from a doctor but last year it was expanded to anyone over 60 years of age. 

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 06:05:29 AM »
since they are legal for everyone now

When Did this change?  One always had to have a certified letter from a doctor but last year it was expanded to anyone over 60 years of age. 

Passed a bill a month or so back. I asked a warden when it would take effect and he had no idea so I looked it up on the net. It said as of July 1st anything legal with bow now included crossbows.
My 7 year old daughter is hitting a 2 inch bullseye at 30 yards nearly every shot. I must add anyone who gets one watch your thumbs and fingers, especially if a kid is shooting it. I believe if someone got a finger in the way of the string it would probably take it off so be careful.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Lives2hunt

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:16:47 PM »
I've got an Excalibur Exocet crossbow and it is a terrific shooter. Most folks think that you are able to shoot further with the Xbow but they actually lose speed faster than compounds. I would prefer to use a recurve or compound if I were able but have a shoulder problem now and can't. 

Also the compund bow is quieter than a crossbow The crossbow is heavier and not as easy to maneuver as a bow either.
Will hunt for food.

Offline born-to-hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • .:Hunter:.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
If you want to try out a crossbow many places will let you shoot them in the store I know of a place called buckeye outdoors that will let you I have a few times
Look a distraction!!!

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 11:33:05 AM »
I had one for 5 or 6 years, Dr. note, bad wrist.  Haven't killed a deer yet with it, got to learn to aim lower when shootin down from tree stand...ha........going out this evening and in the AM. Won't shoot a buck unless it's a real good one, go for a doe for now..........