Author Topic: Old 3" barrel Charter Arms BullDog 44 spcl.  (Read 5848 times)

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Old 3" barrel Charter Arms BullDog 44 spcl.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »
Everybody has different size and shape fingers...I guess mine are "just right" for the Bulldogs.  Isn't this the reason the 'T' grip inserts were developed?  ALSO, just thought about the larger TARGET type CA wooden grips - they fill in more space behind the trigger guard.  I've bought a couple pair of these on inter-net auctions.  This little 17 oz. .357 Mag has quite a kick with high velocity 125 gr factory loads.  The TARGET grip softens the blow, but it is still not a "plinking" range piece. 
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
I have given it a few wraps of black electrical tape but haven't shot it since that modification. The loads which skinned my finger are for serious defense and not something I need to fire every day. My plinking load is a Hornady swaged lead 200 grain RNFP over a lite load of Titegroup at about 700 fps and totally comfortable to shoot but that little wadcutter going 50% faster sure smacks whatever it hits. If I ever needed to actually use it I can just imagine a cop saying "sir, please take your finger out of your mouth".   ;D

Well, then - I guess it's a LOT better to have your finger bleed a little than the other possibilities......

I use Federal 200 gr L-SWC's for carry purposes, but shoot either factory 246 gr LRN or equal handloads for practice.

When things slow down this winter, I'm going to try some swaged SWC or SWC-HP for cheaper practice. Guess I'm just happier with a soft lead SWC than a JHP which might or might not expand.

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 07:39:15 AM »
Everybody has different size and shape fingers...I guess mine are "just right" for the Bulldogs.  Isn't this the reason the 'T' grip inserts were developed?  ALSO, just thought about the larger TARGET type CA wooden grips - they fill in more space behind the trigger guard.  I've bought a couple pair of these on inter-net auctions.  This little 17 oz. .357 Mag has quite a kick with high velocity 125 gr factory loads.  The TARGET grip softens the blow, but it is still not a "plinking" range piece. 

I put a set of Pachymayer "Compac" grips on mine. They are a bit smaller than the wooden grips, and the soft rubber helps dampen recoil.

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »
Some 1st Gen. pieces came with factory/medallioned rubber grips.  There are a lot of Pachmayr grips (basically two styles) that show up reguarly for the Bulldogs - one grip fits all.  Top piece w/ factory "Pocket Hammer" has CA factory/medallioned grip - this combo was catalogued as "THE WEATHER BEATER" combo.

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 07:44:38 AM »
Here's close ups of the two types of Pachmayrs that I'm familiar with.  I think the shorter is the "Combat" and the longer finger grooved is the "Presentation".

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
Here's close ups of the two types of Pachmayrs that I'm familiar with.  I think the shorter is the "Combat" and the longer finger grooved is the "Presentation".

Mine has the bottom style & they were called "compac or compact" but I'm no longer sure of the spelling.

???  ???  ???

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »
The one with the finger grooves is called the "Gripper".  The Presentaion was strait without finger grooves. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 06:43:40 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up gentlemen...my memory sure isn't what it used to be.  Thank God for pictures or I'd forget what my kids look like. 

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 01:19:19 PM »
I have the compac on my ol 3". It's the perfect grip for it, I think.
H08

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 03:35:18 AM »
i will not admit how old i was when  i bought  mine
carried it  way before  i should

has so much sentimental value....it sits in the safe
and  i bought  a new stainless one to shoot and carry......3 years  and still  un-shot

i  load  the same  280 grain LBT-WFN,,,,,forgot the charge  ..but  not much
just  a shove  and  little  blast
and  this load  is  real  quiet  in my handi rifle.....for  possums  and such

30 years  ago  it got left in a tackle box..........
i got  a ''browning  kit''  for muzzle loading  finishing
this gun  looks good in  brown  rather than blue
with  ALL the abuse this gun has seen in almost 40 years....it still  shoots good
other than refinishing [in brown], fire lapping[from LBT],  and cleaning...it has never been  worked on
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.