Author Topic: Anyone carrying an XD Sub-Compact?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Anyone carrying an XD Sub-Compact?
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »
I've been looking/shopping for my first CCW and have tried several...except the XDs. I like the looks and feel of the XD in the Sub-Compacts for CCW. I'd prefer a 45acp, but the 40 S&W is as large as they get in the Sub-Compact models. I may have to go with the Compact model to get into a 45acp.

* Anyone carrying a Sub-Compact XD?
* What are your experiences on reliability and accuracy?
* Are there other brands that you'd suggest over the XD?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Anyone carrying an XD Sub-Compact?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »
The wife doesn't leave home without one. The darned thing really shoots well. The trigger is okay, I understand it can be swapped to get much better.  I look at the grip safety as a real bonus while reholstering. I always ride the hammer and the striker fired don't have that option. The grip extension fits nicely, making range trips comfortable.

If you look around you can find Essentials kits that leave out the cheasy holster and mag carrier and save you as much as $100. My wifes was out the door with an extra mag for $470 this spring.

I know a lot of folks like the M&P in this size too you probably want to check on that as well as the Glock. They all seem to be solid handguns with different ergos and features.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:15:39 PM »
Quote from: Empty Quiver
If you look around you can find Essentials kits that leave out the cheasy holster and mag carrier and save you as much as $100. My wifes was out the door with an extra mag for $470 this spring.

I know a lot of folks like the M&P in this size too you probably want to check on that as well as the Glock. They all seem to be solid handguns with different ergos and features.
Empty Quiver,
What caliber is your wife's XD?
Thanks for the "hot tip" on the Essentials Kits. I have no intentions of carrying an extra mag. and I'd prefer a Crossbreed or Fobus holster.

As for the M&P...I have one in 9mm (the service model) and it's an excellent shooter. 1" group at 20 yards with Winchester 147gr. JHP ammo and I shot my first groundhog with it. As much as I like this handgun, I will sell it the first chance I get, to aquire what I'm after for a CCW. I'll probably ask $450 for it and stay firm on that price, as I've not had over 100 rounds through this handgun and it came in a "pistol pack" with 3 palm swells, 2 mags. and a S&W carrying case. Plus, I have 3 boxes of 147gr. JHP and 1 box of 115gr. FMJ. 8)

The only Glock I've fired is the model 17 (9mm service model) and I didn't care for it. The grips are a bit different on the compact models, so I'll have to try a few other different models before making any final decisions.

I prefer a 45acp caliber, but would consider a 40 S&W.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:06:09 AM »
The wife is carrying a 9mm.  I have no experience with the 40S&W in an XD. For her it was between the Smith M&P and the XD. She liked the loaded chamber indicator, manipulating the slide for a press check is impossible for her. The price difference clinched it, but the chamber thing really pleased her the most about the gun. She had a heck of a time taking down a Glock and for me that was a requirement on my part.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline trex1310

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »
I sometimes carry a SA XDSC in .40 S&W. It is extremely accurate.
The holster is a Don Hume 721 open Top.

NRA Life Member / Vietnam Vet
Certified in laziness
Certified in watching TV
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg