Author Topic: 45 Auto  (Read 336 times)

Offline bronco73401

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
45 Auto
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:12:56 AM »
Other than the obvious difference in the shell holder, can 45 auto dies be used for 45 colt? Reason i ask is i have a blackhawk convertible dont want to get both sets of dies if  i dont have to.

Lance
NRA Member
USAF Desert Storm Veteran

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45 Auto
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:29:32 AM »
I'd say another set of dies would be in order. JMO  ;)

Bill

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »
Heres a firm - MAYBE - the reason I say that is a couple things ,

1. The ACP dies are shorter and will need to be set differently than the colt dies , plus the ACP dies will not size the Colt case properly all the way to the base .

2. Yet if you are using the same bullet for both rounds like I do sometimes , then you can use the ACP dies to do a sort-a neck sizing of the Colt case's and bell & seat with the auto dies too . However the auto seater will do a Taper crimp and not a Roll crimp like the Colt does better with .

So in the short term , yes it can be done . Is it the best / proper way , not realy .  ::)

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
I use my .45acp competition seater die (Redding) and my .45acp taper crimp die to load .45 Colt for my Handi rifle.
3leggedturtle uses the .45acp sizer die to size just the top half (or less) of his .45 Colt brass for his lever action. He claims less 'blow by' with light loads.
As suggested, you need a roll crimp and full length sizing for your revolver, the .45acp dies won't do it. You could probably get by with a firm taper crimp with light .45 Colt loads, but you will almost certainly need to full length size them with a proper .45 Colt sizer die.