Author Topic: Do you think I found the right combination?  (Read 554 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Do you think I found the right combination?
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
I have been testing different bullets, different weights of bullets and different powders to come up with the most accurate load I can for my 22-250. I went to the range this morning with 3 different bullets all loaded with different weights of powder. I think I have finally come up with the right combo. I shot a one hole group this morning. I was shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards for testing. The rest of the groups were still mostly under a half inch. The combo I came up with is Sierra 53 grain HP Match bullets with the flat base, Winchester brass, CCI 200 primers and 35.7 grains of Varget. This is a great load for my 22-250 Remington 700 SPS Varmint with the 1 in 14" twist barrel. Here are the pictures of the groups I shot this morning. Even though they are Match bullets seeing as they are hollow points I am going to try them on Groundhogs. I would bet they still do well on the Groundhogs. Have any of you shot small game or Groundhogs with a Match bullet? So do I have a winner of a load or what? Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Do you think I found the right combination?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
Patience pays off in the end,looks real good. Any bullet traveling that fast should ruin any dogs day. Good work

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »
That's a keeper.

What was the ambient temperature?
How much time between shots?

Shoot that load this summer and save those other powders to play with in cooler weather.
(I'm shooting 34.8 of Varget with the 55 VNEs this summer)
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »
It was about 75 degrees out. I would shoot 12 rounds. At that point the barrel gets pretty warm to touch. I then wait about 20 minutes for it to cool before I start the next string. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Pop

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:09:46 PM »
What are they clocking?

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
What are they clocking?
They are running 3,700 FPS. Just so you guys know the squares on the targets measure 1"x1". Take Care Dale

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:14:08 PM »
Dale

Thats the same bullet I use in my 224 GNR Handi @ around 3100 fps , makes P-dogs go POP everytime , so they should do very well on Groundhogs .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
Those bullets will scatter a ground hog all over the field. My buddy uses them in his 22-250. I shoot the 69 MK in my AR 223 and it blows golf ball size holes exit in ground hogs body and will pop their head like a balloon.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
Well guys I just loaded 75 rounds of this new load. I will go to the range tomorrow and site my rifle in at 200 yards with this new load. I am looking forward to popping a Groundhog with this new load. I have pretty much until now only used V-Max's for hog hunting. I have taken a few with the Winchester 45 grain JHP'S but they were no where near this accurate. Dale

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
don't worry Dale, just when you hit paydirt everything will go to crap..... ;D  enjoy it while you can   :o
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:53:53 AM »
reloading is as much fun as shooting......almost
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 03:50:43 AM »

Looking good Dale..Hope it all stays the same for you at 200 yards..Nice groups BTW..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
I just got back from the range and now have my rifle sighted in at 200 yards with this new load. Below is a group I shot at 300 yards. It was pretty hot out and mirage was very bad. I ran out of my normal targets and used this one at 300 yards. I had to guess where center of the target was because I could not see that tiny red dot way out there. I am sure I could do better at 300 yards with a different target and on a coller day when mirage would not be a factor. The smaller circle that is the Shoot N and C target measures 3" and the larger black circle measures 8". The group is 9 shots and measures 3.344". It still would have been a dead Groundhog. I do need some pratice at these longer ranges though. Take care Dale