Author Topic: Tennis Ball Hits Target  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tennis Ball Hits Target
« on: July 03, 2010, 03:37:08 PM »

I fired this tennis ball with 300 grains of cannon grade powder from my Mountain Howitzer.  The target was 100 feet form the muzzle.  The impact velocity was 174 feet per second.  Pay attention to the "compression ring" that shows up in the plywood after the tennis ball rebounds.  The movie clip was shot at 600 frames per second.  Barrel elevation was 1 degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VfEe57_CBc

Have a great 4th
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Tennis Ball Hits Target
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
Thats pretty cool . Seeing that kinda stuff is .....wierd . It reminded me of the films of the bombs landing VeitNam with the big rings of concusion ..... I suspect youre a gonner inside those rings ?

Watch that plywood ripple ! What was ithe woods integrity after the rippling ?
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »
No appearant damage.  The ball flattend and absorbed most of the force.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:35:17 AM »
That's a really awesome clip!  Any idea if all the plywood was rippling, or if it was just the first lamina?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:33:06 AM »
Enjoyed the vid, Parrott-Cannon. If you're open to requests, how about a concrete filled ball (same camera speed), with the camera aimed at the edge of the board, so both entrance and exit are recorded? 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 05:16:33 AM »
Ripple (?) or was that fuzz off the tennis ball's cover?
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:41:30 AM »
Enjoyed the vid, Parrott-Cannon. If you're open to requests, how about a concrete filled ball (same camera speed), with the camera aimed at the edge of the board, so both entrance and exit are recorded? 

I would love to honor your request but I do have a safe firing area for that type of ammo.

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:43:33 AM »
Ripple (?) or was that fuzz off the tennis ball's cover?

The fuzz was intact of course about half the fuzz was melted.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »

I would love to honor your request but I do have a safe firing area for that type of ammo.

Thanks, Parrott-Cannon, but my request is unimportant; I take it that you meant "but I do not have a safe firing area" for firing solid ball. Isn't there a range that's relatively close to your area, where you could safely fire solid projectiles?  
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:02:53 AM »

Thanks, Parrott-Cannon, but my request is unimportant; I take it that you meant "but I do not have a safe firing area" for firing solid ball. Isn't there a range that's relatively close to your area, where you could safely fire solid projectiles?  

Maybe in the fall.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:29:55 AM »
Sounds good!