Author Topic: 50 gr. Bullet in .22 Hornet.  (Read 1145 times)

Offline bkraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
50 gr. Bullet in .22 Hornet.
« on: July 03, 2010, 06:13:39 PM »
I am considering going to a "bulk" bullet such as Dogtown or Varmit Nightmare in my Hornet. The 30-35 grain offerings are too light, IMO for the applications I plan on using the gun for. Is anybody using the 50 grain in the Hornet or is it too heavy?
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline dieselman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 50 gr. Bullet in .22 Hornet.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »
I have an old SS Savage and I'll carry a few 50grers with me if I'm hunting coyotes in thick woods with shots @ 50yds or less, drops off to much for me @ 100yds to get good kill shots in my rifle. 40gr to 45gr works better at the longer ranges on yotes. The 35gr v-max for everything else.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »
I am considering going to a "bulk" bullet such as Dogtown or Varmit Nightmare in my Hornet. The 30-35 grain offerings are too light, IMO for the applications I plan on using the gun for. Is anybody using the 50 grain in the Hornet or is it too heavy?
What is the rate of twist of your barrel? Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »
I loaded some 52 gr. Sierra Match bullets for my Contender pistole. I loaded them hot and could get no more than 2 loads from a case. Accuracy was excellant but it still would not do what my .222 barrel would do so I quit running brass.

Offline bkraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
Rate of twist is 1:16. The main reason I was looking to rub the the 50 grainer was to save a few cents, doesn't appear to be worth the effort. Thanks for the input guys.
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
The only 50 gr. bullet I have tried is the Nosler BT qn in my Browning with a 16" twist it key holed at 50 yds. I'm talking bullet profiles not just oval holes. I'm not sure about the bulk bullets you want to use since they should be a little shorter than the Noslers but I would guess that they won't work very well.
I have bought a contender barrel in 22 hornet that should have a 14" twist and I may try some 50 gr bullets in it but with the shorter barrel I might stick with the lighter bullets anyway.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline super mario

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • boardstobeauty
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 10:56:15 AM »

I use the 50gr nosler BT in NEF but its suppose to be a 1-9 twist according to the info on this sight.
I just got a chrono so I'll see what velocities im getting and post up.
But honestly I think the 45gr hornady sp are more accurate in my gun.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 01:26:40 AM »
I agree with Bruce,same thing happened in my handi rifle.