Author Topic: Hornady Lock n Load  (Read 656 times)

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Hornady Lock n Load
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
Had a Hornady LnL follow me home today now to get it set up and get started
Upside is after a little paperwork sent in I get 500 free bullets!
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Hornady Lock n Load
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:12:55 AM »
Congrats!
Best reloader for the money that is available today. You can spend more money buy cannot buy a better reloader.

There are some good videos on you tube that help explain this machine

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:43:12 AM »
I been watching those vids on youtube and learn a lot from them.
There are a few things I need to get then I should be good to go.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:58:26 AM »
I LOVE mine.  Drooling over a case feeder now, maybe for Christmas.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
Once I make a little and add a few more things I'll be good to go.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:09:13 AM »
Ive got 3 of them, two with case feeders. there a GOOD press but i dont agree with the best comment. Id trade them in a heartbeat for 650 dillons. This red vs blue thing about makes me laugh. Id about bet that 95 percent of the people claiming what they bought is the best never loaded any kind of quantity on both. Its the old thing where if i bought a chev it must be better then a ford cause im real smart.
Congrats!
Best reloader for the money that is available today. You can spend more money buy cannot buy a better reloader.

There are some good videos on you tube that help explain this machine

blue lives matter

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 05:36:19 AM »
LLoyd, you are the Grand Pubaa of this stuff, and your opinions and advice carry LOTS of weight with me.  I bought the Hornady comparing it to a 550 Dillon, the press that is only $100 more than the Hornady, and I haven't regretted my decision.  The Hornady has been glass smooth, great with the 5 loads I do, and after some very minor adjustment, really never gives me any problems at all.

Since they upgraded the ejector, people seem to be very pleased.  The Hornady is a nice press.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
Hornady just loves their advertizing term "LnL", it seems to cover maybe a quarter of  what they sell now, so you need to say more; I think you mean the press?  I would epoxy a bushing in it so I could screw dies in and out normally but it's certainly as good as any press in its class even tho the body is alum alloy.   The bullet promotional deal has to cost Hornady very little but the value to a reloader is significant!   Enjoy.  :)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »
Given that he just purchased it, I'm sure that he is talking about the new LNL metallic progressive press. 

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
Its the classic single stage kit.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
Sorry Mr,

Its a nice press too.  I have the progressive.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 02:33:17 AM »
I thought you were talking progressive too. I also have a lnl single stage press and its a great press. Not quite as beefy as my rock chucker but i doubt any sane man could ever break it or wear it out.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 02:37:18 AM »
actually one of mine is the old wire eject model and its more reliable then the two newer ones i have. Only problem is the wires in the way if you want to use the last station to crimp. Dont get me wrong i think there a pretty good press and mine have allready loaded many many thousands of rounds but the timing issues can be a pain in the but and the case feeder is a pos compared to a dillon 650. The diffence is the 650 was designed from the get go to use a case feeder and is awkward without one. THe hornady is more of an add on and doesnt work near as realiably but the press without it is much easier to use then a 650 without one.
LLoyd, you are the Grand Pubaa of this stuff, and your opinions and advice carry LOTS of weight with me.  I bought the Hornady comparing it to a 550 Dillon, the press that is only $100 more than the Hornady, and I haven't regretted my decision.  The Hornady has been glass smooth, great with the 5 loads I do, and after some very minor adjustment, really never gives me any problems at all.

Since they upgraded the ejector, people seem to be very pleased.  The Hornady is a nice press.
blue lives matter

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 12:29:44 PM »
I forgot to mention that part when I started this topic. So far i am pleased with
the purchase of this kit which included press of course,digital scale, 3 bushings,powder throwerand 2 bushings hand priming tool with 2 trays and the priming arm loading block and one shot lube aerosol Hornady #7 book and the coupon for free bullets.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 05:25:56 PM »
LLoyd,

Timing with the LNL is, of course, a critical set up.  While hornady sets them up close at the factory, mine needed tweaking.  What I have found is that the advance pawls should be set to where the plate is just falling into the detents.  This applies both directions (both pawls).  It is a critical adjustment in that, if you move too far, you can get out of time the other way.  Once I figured this out, and took my time setting it up perfectly, the machine is virtually flawless.  Unless a piece of crimped brass sneaks its way onto my press, I can load virtually without stopping for anything other than primer and powder fill.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 01:21:55 AM »
problem ive ran into is after about a 100k the adjustments tend to wander. I had to send one back allready because the ajustments got so loose that about every 50 rounds i was tweeking it. when there right they will sure crank out ammo though. I loaded about a 1000 44mags yesterday and stopped for nothing but adding primers and powder. now if i could get everyone to email midway and beg them to bring back there frankfort arsnenal primer tube filler. Im down to my last one and its gettting tired and id hate the thought of filling those tubes by hand. The dillon unit is to expensive and in all honesty doesnt work as well as the 35 dollar frankfort aresonal unit does.
blue lives matter