Author Topic: New To Lead ?  (Read 408 times)

Offline steelhead51

• Trade Count: (14)
New To Lead ?
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
I'am new to this lead bullet reloading do you have to use a gas check on these lead bullets ? I'am reloading for a Red Hawk 44 mag . What about size of .429 .430 etc. what to use? Leads cheaper but sound more complicated too me. Help

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: New To Lead ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:01:08 AM »
Cast lead bullets are not bad to work with at all , I shoot both plain base as well as gas checked ones , in most cases if you keep the speeds below about 1600 fps a plain base will do just fine and not cause a leading issue .

As for the Dia. that you will just have to try and see which does best , you may want to slug the barrel and see just what size bore your working with , a good rule of thumb is to go .001 over sized on cast bullets .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »
id start with buying a 430 and 431 and seeing which your gun prefers.
blue lives matter

Offline PawPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
The most important diameter on a revolver is the cylinder throat.  You want bullets that are 0.001 over the cylinder throat. 

Lead bullets are different from jacketed bullets.  Not any better or worse, just different.  I use the following rules of thumb for lead bullets:  Speeds under 1500 fps, no gas check.  Speeds between 1500-2000 fps get a gas check.  Speeds over 2000 fps get a jacketed bullet.

More important is what your revolver prefers.  What ever it will shoot best is what you should be using.   I shoot a Ruger Super Blackhawk and I've never shot a jacketed bullet through it.  Mine likes non-checked 240 grain wheelweight bullets.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:55:21 AM »
"...do you have to use a gas check on these lead bullets?"

To which of "these lead bullets" do you refer?
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »
The reason for gas checks is to increase what a lead bullet can be pushed, I don’t cast or load for the 44, but have loaded thousands of 38 /357 bullets with a Lyman gas check mold, the 38 a milder load I shoot with out the checks with this mold, the hotter 357 get gas checked, as long as you keep the loads light you will not have a problem, too hot and you are guaranteed gas cutting without a check, as said earlier if you plan on shooting a lot of lead, it would be a good idea to slug your gun, then you will know what bullet will work best for you. An under sized lead bullet will not only promote leading, but you will not get the best accuracy out of you gun.