Author Topic: Tree Stand or Ground Hunting?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tree Stand or Ground Hunting?
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
How many of us are convinced that hunting deer from a tree stand
really gives an advantage over hunting from the ground (in a blind)?
What do you believe the advantages are if any?

Thanks,
Rifle Man
"Smile, Shake a hand, and be a friend."

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Tree Stand or Ground Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:37:52 PM »
At my club in NC we have about 30 box stands I'd guess.  Maybe 5-6 are on the ground in wooded locations (usually on logging paths).  The main advantage I see to an elevated stand is visability.  Elevation certainly helps on fields.  Should also be an advantage for scent control.

If your stand is totally enclosed, being raised is not a big advantage where range is 75-150 yards.  I don't normally plan on getting much closer to deer but it often happens.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »
i really do like to hunt from a raised platform it helps with scent control.  but if you can slip thru the woods in a light rain or stiff wind i think you can walk up on far more deer that just sitting in one spot and waiting. that is just my 2 cents
windy or rainy days i try to sneak thru the woods and dry calm days i tend to sit high above with a call or two. 
i have gotten nice bucks both ways so it is just a choise for the day or the mood....
                    rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
 I prefer a stand. Where we hunt there is usually weeds for 30 yards(4-5 foot tall) before the fields. Also if you move a little or get figity(youngens) you can get away with it a little. Oh yeah, occasionally we will get a visit from a stray cow or yote.

Lonny

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:10:24 PM »
I've been in a short tree stand a couple of times and the deer didn't even know I was there.

I prefer hunting from the ground though. I have a folding chair  that I strap on my back and I'll look for natural cover, or sit a few yards off a field in the woods.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline TommyD

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
It really depends on the terrain.

Where I have hunted for the last 3 seasons the land is not flat. having my seat just 6 or 8 feet above ground level will extend my line of sight from about 50 yards to about 160 and allow me to take a good rifle or muzzleloader shot where the deer might not even be visible otherwise.

Tom
--------------------------
NRA Life Member

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:58:47 AM »
I agree with TommyD it does depend on the terrain and general cover.  I like being in the stand for greater visibility in heavy cover, but have used my little popup type blind effectively too setting up just outside of a good convergence of trails.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:27:24 AM »
Permanent stand locations are eventually "noticed" by scent and avoided.  Fields that are hunted hard are avoided.  Setting stands where the deer can be sniped between bedding and sources of food, water, and deer dates has proven effective.

Elevation, scent control, a steady rest, and a good drape behind which to fidget are favored by this stand hunter.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I am a stalk hunter only!  The only time I sit is if I am tired or sometimes if I come on an area that looks really promising.  Just got this guy today.  Took 4 stalks and got to within 15 yards each time, but never a clear shot until the 4th time.  8)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 03:58:34 AM »
Congratulations!  Stalked within 15 yards - each time!  Dude, I want to wear that hat of yours.  Apparently it is magical.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »
It's not the hat, it's the magic boots.   ;)  Oh, and the fact that I always stalk into the wind.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
I sit on ground with back against tree and a lot of earth scented cover spray, have had deer within  7 feet of me. Use tree stand with crossbow and pistol at times....................

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
Love my climber :D  Keep going up until I get the best view ;D  Last few years have been on the ground shooting out of an old building or vacated outhouse building...no holes anymore ;D  As long as your seeing critters it's all good :D

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
Here is where I sit 75% of the time. Pretty much says it all.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 04:37:13 PM »
That's awesome ;D  Critters are fooled because they think nobody would be hunting out of that ???  It's like sitting in your blind waiting for geese all morning and the only geese that come in is when you drive the truck into the field to pick up the decoys ;)  Can't tell you how many times that has happened over the years.

Good luck hunting this year!

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
Here is where I sit 75% of the time. Pretty much says it all.

I seem to remember seeing a Handi rifle painted that color on the forum  ;)

Lonny

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »
Could be, wasn't mine.  It was "painted" with semi-transparent deck stain.  The color is brick.  I justify it because one of my daughters is usually in there with me.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 07:15:54 AM »
Last few season, I ground hunted out of a Ameristep outhouse blind. It is easy to move and I can hunt diffent locations with no problems.  Also if I fall asleep in my folding chair, the fall out of it is only 3 feet as opposed to 20 feet out of a tree.  :D
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline elhoward622

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 10:59:25 AM »
I don't see much difference.  I have hunted elevated exclusively for the last 7 years but my biggest 2 bucks have come off the ground walking back to the camp house LOL!  I just got a pop up blind last year and took a doe but had numerous small bucks walk right by.  Im going to hunt almost exclusively from the blind this year and see how it goes. 

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
I hunt close quarters either way but I think the tree stand offers a little more scent protection. But a ground blind allows a little more freedom of movement(our tree stands are not covered.... must rely on camo or hope the deer don't look up). So I don't believe in an overwhelming advantage either way. Both have advantages and drawbacks at least in a close range set up.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »
I like being in my climber - best deer-hunting purchase I ever made.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline billyjack

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
I like both and have had good luck both ways,but up in the air you can see better and helps with scent control.That being said i killed a 9 pt. today on the ground at BOUT 90 YARDS.

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 01:18:20 AM »
The majority of my deer have been shot from 25 yards or less so I always hunt from a stand even if its only 8' off the ground. I have killed several from the ground but they were out 50-160 yards ad i did not not have to adjust my position when I shot.  Up close hunting I chose a tree stand everytime.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline Emptypockets

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 02:30:05 PM »
 I had 4 doe come under my climber today as I was starting to come down. I heard them coming in from behind me and I was trying to get my slung muzzy off my back and they started running around and I was trying to figure out if there were any horns in the bunch. This whole deal had to last about 5 or more minutes. They kept looking up at me and then looking away. Never caught my sent. Me trying not to move around like an idiot. Up a tree in the woods is a lot of fun.  :)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
One of my friends killed himself climbing out of a tree and another broke his back when he fell while climbing into his tree stand.  I don't know of anybody getting hurt falling off the ground!

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 04:22:40 PM »
I would be more afraid that my friends would see me in that fustchia blind than falling out of my treestand   LOL.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 02:54:53 PM »
Are they spots on that hide.