Author Topic: Model Cannon  (Read 448 times)

Offline smokemjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Model Cannon
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
I hope the pics. will follow this, I made the barrel from a 1 1/4 - 219 Zipper barrel. 7 in. long , drilled and reamed it to .380 bore, Its threaded 1/2x 13 and the ball end was fitted and ball turned.The wood is Texas Mesquite crotch wood,   12 in. across after sawed out. A tree blowed down at my inlaws in San Antonio Tx. and believe the tree was over 150 years old and that dated back to the Alamo when I got it 20 years ago, I made the wheels also from it, The axles  are brass. The sled is  9in. by  2 1/4 wide.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Model Cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
I love the stretch-limo look!

AND the upsidedown can!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »
Back in the 60s I walked into a gun store, Beloit Wis. and said give me $20.00 worth of black powder, No quetions asked, $1.50 a pound and a up side down can in the lot, Just found it after 50 years in a box. Hope you all like the pics. Joe

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »
Lookin' good, Joe! I just asked Zulu a question about mesquite; it wasn't all that long ago that Texans would have paid you to get it off their property (I understand that much of its range is only bush size, used for barbecuing), now the larger trees are in great demand for furniture, carving, and turning, and there's not enough of the stuff to go around.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.