Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87173 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
THANKS for the clarification:  "... accurate to within .004", we mean within +/- .004" ...  "

It's a frustration when folks mention numbers without adequate description, leaving two possibilities of what could have been meant.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »
One thing I have to say is this has been an impressive display of machining skills,
most outfits these days would use CNC lathes & mills for all the processes being
done here ............... But where's the love?  Watching a machine churn out the same
part time after time..... Where's the fun? A computer is only as smart as the programmer
where's the skill? M&T  Heir Krupp would be pleased!

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #302 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:45 AM »
Here is an article on the grain harvest up here.  The harvest is vital to replenishing my shooting slush fund.  A lot of the grain harvested up here is barley and will have a bearing the quality of grain used to make the beer you enjoy after shooting your Krupp Gun.  

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20100921/BUSINESS/9210304/Wet-weather-keeps-pushing-harvest-back

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:15 AM »
so no american beer for next summer  :'(
well I can export some swedish apple wine for you guys  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #304 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
   Thanks, Allen, we pretty much think that way too.  Even when we did have the money, we still did not plunk it down for a modern CNC lathe or mill.  We like figuring out the various machine and part set-ups we have to do, and, if you are doing a short production run on a part, like we are with only 25 pieces, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  You fairly quickly reach the end of that run.  Hundreds or thousands, forget it!!  We have served our time in aircraft factories!

Double D.,  you are correct, we do like a brew or maybe two after a shoot, but we are sad to hear that the quality of the grain may be affected, especially if cut before dry and then dried briefly on the ground before harvesting.  Is this an unlikely possibility or what?  Does the farmer get as much money for this grain?  

Dan,   Mike and I have sampled some of your superb Sherry.  I bet you make an excellent Swedish apple wine as well.  Exports of such products are always appreciated by thirsty Americans!  To be completely honest, we drink a lot more beer, however.

We finally got a chance to get a Krupp down to the plater.  The results exceeded our expectations which were pretty high.  The entire gun displays a nice even and complete black lustrous finish, Not Shiny, but more of a satin finish.  The plater's co-owner put it best,  "You guys don't need any polishing on this gun, it looks great as machined!"  We agree, it does!  Mike dialed in a slightly slower feed when crossing those longer stretches, like on the breech and the outer reinforce, to get a better finish.  Although it took a little longer to machine each tube, the results are worth the extra time.

The results the plater achieved on the cheeks really blew us away.  In my mind's eye I had a picture of what the Krupp cast steel armor plate must have looked like.  Remember, as early as 1861, his factories were turning out large steel parts, not wrought-iron, like the British and the Americans.  By 1866, the Krupp Howitzer's model year, Krupp factories were making steel armor plates larger than the cheeks of the original 14" Krupp Seacoast Howitzer.  The mottled appearance of this steel is unique and completely different than smooth, light grey, wrought-iron plates.  I believe that the action of the acetic acid that we used for hot-rolled steel scale removal, etched the surface in such a way that the plater's application of the Black Oxide finish highlighted some areas more than others, producing a mottled, more reflective/less reflective look that Exactly duplicates what I imagined the Krupp steel howitzer cheeks to look like.  It even surprised Mike too.  He said, "Wow, how did we do that?"  Once in a great while, you have a little luck!  Hope you guys like it as much as we do.

Our calendar photo is shown below and it shows the cheeks clearly and you can see the effect we have just explained.

Mike and Tracy

Krupp Seacoast Howitzer M-1866 by Seacoast Artillery Company

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #305 on: September 22, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »
WOW   WOW   WOW

THATS SURE SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL

I wish I could have had one also , "but no export"  so what could I do   :'( :'(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #306 on: September 22, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
Defiantly worthy of being passed on to the next generation with much pride. Nicely done  ;D

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #307 on: September 22, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »
Nice contrast between the gun and the cheeks, definately adds visual interest to the piece.  I have seen old steel with a surface like that but never thought about how it got that way.  Looking forward to to seeing one in person!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #308 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:40 AM »
Now that's just plain beauty!  Well done!!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #309 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:22 AM »
Mine better not look that good - it's going to be USED!

;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #310 on: September 22, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »
Very nicely done.  I am glad that I got in on this.  Thanks for making this available to us.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #311 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Absurd and as my daughter would say "ridic" - has to be the hottest little cannon ever. 2 thumbs up!!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
Now, see, that is the picture I was trying to hold out for!  Fantastic!  I'm glad I didn't wait any longer to add my name to the list!

BTW, I don't think you'll have any problems winning a prize spot in the calendar with that picture!

Offline robbob

« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »
WOW!  ;D ;D ;D

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2010, 01:10:32 AM »
     Thanks for the compliments, fellas.  We have placed a photo on the annual GBO Mortar and Cannon Calendar only one out of three years, but maybe we have a chance this year.  However, we are very impressed with the submissions made so far.  Although fewer in number, they seem to be at a higher quality level this year.  We will be huffing and puffing while running uphill to catch most of them. 

Thank you to Asron87 and Robbob for your Krupp Howitzer orders.  Mike and I appreciate them very much.  Only six .354 Cal.(9mm) bored Krupp cannons remain available now.  The .312 Cal. guns are Sold Out.  The estimated date for completing these is the second or third week of November, probably before Thanksgiving, maybe after.

Tracy and Mike

P.S.  Tim, (East Coast Mod. Tim), you needn't worry about your Krupp being too prissy looking for a real Shooter like yourself.  We will make darn sure that your gun is the 'Randomly Picked Gun' from the batch to undergo extreme function testing.  This includes dunking it in a bucket of muddy, sand-filled, water, yanking it out and shooting immediately.  Chained to the back bumper of Mike's old 1980 Ford F-250 truck, we drag the selected test gun, yours, down 20 miles of rough Colorado, crushed-granite, back road, then operate the sliding breech block 50 times, load and fire it .  Then there is the misfiled sear test.  Just like in the story of the WWI Russian arms inspector at the Remington factory in Illion, NY. where they were having a bunch of 1917 Remingtons made.  It was the Russian inspector's habit to grab a finished rifle which had some minor finish flaw in the bluing off the rack, have it loaded and then slam it's butt on the concrete floor of the loading dock to test the rifle's safety.  The word went out to the machinists to 'FIX' a rifle's sear so that it would fire with the slightest jolt.  It, of course, had imperfect bluing around the muzzle where it was most noticeable.  Well, when Yuri strode up and yanked the 'Fixed' rifle off the rack, had it loaded and slammed it down, there was a  KA-BLAM!!!  and he had that hammer-struck-steer look on his face that didn't leave right away.  He never tried that again!  Tim, we sure wouldn't want you worried about getting a scratch on your Krupp while blazing away at the Grackles in your backyard.  We will save that gun specifically for shipment to Pulaski, Virginia for no extra charge!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2010, 02:00:46 AM »
 ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D 

I HATE to put the FIRST scratch on a new shootin' iron!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2010, 06:18:49 AM »

Not a problem , DD and I would do that for you . Just have it shipped here first . ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2010, 12:51:15 PM »
Man oh man!   Ya can't beat having friends like that!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »
I generally feel the same way, but if anyone's got to put some character on one of my guns, it may as well be me ;D (though I have allowed some friends the first shot with a few of them).

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »
WOW   WOW   WOW THATS SURE SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL

Very nicely done.  I am glad that I got in on this.  Thanks for making this available to us.

Now that's just plain beauty!  Well done!!

What Dan, Spuddy and Jeff said!  M&T, You dah men!!! ;D
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline Double D

« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »

Not a problem , DD and I would do that for you . Just have it shipped here first . ;D

Ernie, he's only talking about the first scratch, one whole scratch, where's the fun in that.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »

P.S.  Tim, (East Coast Mod. Tim), you needn't worry about your Krupp being too prissy looking for a real Shooter like yourself.  We will make darn sure that your gun is the 'Randomly Picked Gun' from the batch to undergo extreme function testing.  This includes dunking it in a bucket of muddy, sand-filled, water, yanking it out and shooting immediately.  Chained to the back bumper of Mike's old 1980 Ford F-250 truck, we drag the selected test gun, yours, down 20 miles of rough Colorado, crushed-granite, back road, then operate the sliding breech block 50 times, load and fire it .  Then there is the misfiled sear test.  Just like in the story  your Krupp while blazing away at the Grackles in your backyard.  We will save that gun specifically for shipment to Pulaski, Virginia for no extra charge!

M&T,

You forgot the Navarone test where the Krupp is emplaced on a cliff and British commandos blow it off the cliff with hi-explosives........

NOW THAT'S A TEST!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #322 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »
But where would they obtain said explosives? :o

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #323 on: September 27, 2010, 12:46:30 AM »

Don't ask.  They're VERY resourceful folks.   ;)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2010, 03:17:20 AM »

Remember the guns sit right over the shell magazine...in the movie.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #325 on: September 27, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »
If the Seacoast Krupp was given the Navarone test it could be tipped over the cliff with a cherry bomb.    ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #326 on: September 29, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
   Allen, neither Mike nor I have handled any HE since our military service days.  It was scary enough then, I believe we'll stick to BP thank you, 1/2 to 1 oz. at a time.  We have been pretty busy on the Krupp project.  There are a few progress photos below.

Mike and Tracy

After drilling the through hole into the sliding breech block hole, Mike bores the large counterbore for the Can which holds the striker assy.

Looks like Mike has been busy!

All of the cheeks are ready for .250" Dia. hole drilling.  For you piece counters, you're right, there are only 46, not 50.  Four pieces had their tops removed by mistake, but fear not, endmilling before boring with the boring head will make them just like the drilled, then bored ones.

A fixture is really not necessary here even though precisely located holes are necessary for accurate assy.

.350" from the vise and .350" from the radius which is aligned with the vise jaw edges by a parallel bar and the first hole is located.  The small wood block is a machinist's trick used to hold irregular or uneven surfaces such as the bandsawed edges which limit the height of these cheeks for drilling.

I'm drilling the second .250" Dia. hole here.  A very simple jig assists me in keeping the second hole 5.350" +/-.005" from the first hole drilled in the cheek.  A tight-fitting gage pin fills the first drilled holes in this set of two cheeks.  A parallel bar clamped to the milling machine table locates the pin and the center of the drill bit is located exactly 5.350" from the center of that stopped pin.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #327 on: September 29, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
Great to see more progress pictures!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #328 on: September 30, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »
Just one word:   professional!    ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #329 on: September 30, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »
I am doing my annual part to assist in the grain harvest so you guys can  have grain for your micro  brew beer and designer whole wheat bran muffins.  It also replenishes my gun buying fund and lets me buy  the wife a nice gift for Christmas.  So a Krupp is in my future.  

I am learning how to drive a swather.  That's a machine that cuts the grain down and lays it rows to dry so it can be picked up by the combine to remove the grain from the stalk. Monday for the first time ever, I swath for 5 hours.  I only left about pick up load of grain still standing out in the field….Tuesday I swathed for 11 hours left and only left half pick up load of grain still standing…It rained Tuesday night, so we got a late start and  only 8 swathing hours Wednesday.  Late start gave me time to change a broken cutter tooth.  Took me about an hour, and a pint of blood.  Those teeth are sharp.  This morning I changed a broken cutter tooth and spilled no blood was done in 20 minutes.  Turned on the machine and blew a hydraulic seal for the header.  So I have some time off for repairs today….Also following the advice given by Southpaw last year. I still haven’t figure out how grease the machine.

Back to the fields this after noon.