Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87176 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #390 on: November 02, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »
Oops, sorry to mislead, partial payment in route, the P.O. ran out of flat boxes and it will be week before they get more.   I think one might be leaking because there was wheat all over the lobby floor at the PO.  I'll send an extra!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #391 on: November 02, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »
What are the bore diameters on the remaining ones?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #392 on: November 02, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »
I can't wait to see all the Krupp Klub Kannon pictures!

;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #393 on: November 02, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »
     Double D.   Guess we didn't talk you out of that crazy wheat barter idea when we mentioned we had mealie bags just like the British Army did at Rourke's Drift, aye?  And Martinis too.  You are incorrigible, DD, absolutely incorrigible.

George,  You know how flexible we are; which size were you thinking of ordering?

Tim, while the club's name is not one we would have considered at all, the idea of seeing a few customers shooting or displaying their Krupp Howitzer does put a smile on these Colorado mugs.

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #394 on: November 02, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
DD,

you need to get those brown paper bags at the market and double bag the wheat before shipping it
this way it don't spill......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »

Tim, while the club's name is not one we would have considered at all, the idea of seeing a few customers shooting or displaying their Krupp Howitzer does put a smile on these Colorado mugs.

Mike and Tracy

We get free coffee mugs from Seacoast Artillery Co with our names on them????????

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »
You know how flexible we are; which size were you thinking of ordering?

The larger one (9 mm); but as you know, I have a lathe or two of my own.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »
     KABAR2 shame on you!  PLEEESE...     Don't encourage him! 

Double D.   We can see you are just confused and not aggressive.  We are bringing the Martinis back to the arms room and moving the bisquit boxes aside and a small green flag marks a small break in the mealy bag parapet.  You may come ahead for a parlay.  No free anything here.  Cash talks; bring cash.  After the conclusion of the arms deal, safe passage across the plain is guaranteed.  Once you are in the bush with your artillery, you are on your own.   :o :o

Mr. Gaskill,   You sir, are in luck!  It just so happens that all the Krupp cannons we have left are .354 cal. (9mm).  I'm sure you know this already, but to the newer cannoneers out there, the bore size of 1/2" is popular with firecracker shooters and probably 3/8" cal, .375" cal. is most popular.  After all, who does Not own a 3/8" drill bit??  It's just that the smaller bores use small charges of powder more efficiently, that's all.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Tracy & Mike

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2010, 01:42:24 AM »
Mike and Tracy
We get free coffee mugs from Seacoast Artillery Co with our names on them????????

OH NO!  Not ANOTHER  #%&^*  coffee cup!  Tee shirts, windbreakers and baseball hats are OK [even if I have to pay for them].

Hmmmm.  A Krupp Koffee Kup?   ...
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
T&M

I apologise for my transgression....... ::)

your right you don't need the hobby of micro-brewing getting in the

way of your true love of building cannon....

and too much beer and precission could suffer....

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »
Allen,

The store only had plastic, and with moisture content at 13.1 plastic might start mold.  We don't need the Colorado crew getting into wheat mould...we would  end up with psychedelic Krupps.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
Mike and Tracy

OH NO!  Not ANOTHER  #%&^*  coffee cup!  Tee shirts, windbreakers and baseball hats are OK [even if I have to pay for them].

Hmmmm.  A Krupp Koffee Kup?   ...
Kould get a Krups Koffee maker to fill the Krupp Koffee Kup...

Not being a fan of coffee, I don't care about the mug, just the Krupp and I'd still lke to add a barbette carriage/chassis, but that's completely up to M&T, and would absolutely be an extra cost.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »
Barbette carriage?  Extremely labor intensive!!  Expensive!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #403 on: November 03, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
Barbette carriage?  Extremely labor intensive!!  Expensive!
Zulu
No one claimed it would be cheap, or even that it would ever see production, but they make a nice one for their Parrott, and I think the that model wouldn't be half as cool if it were just the upper carriage/gun.  This one, being a smaller scale, wouldn't need to be so detailed, though knowing the level of detail they put into their work, I don't know how simplified they would be willing to make it.  I suggested it a while back, and it had some positive response, including from M&T, though they weren't about to make any indication that they'd ever make one, especially until the Krupps were done.

http://www.seacoastartillery.com/photos.php?id=142

Just another shameless plug, M&T! ;)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »
     Gentlemen,  we are fortunate indeed to have two friends who are artists and sculptors.  They continuously keep us challenged by coming up with unique ideas and obscure artillery references.  Bruce, who is a marble and bronze sculptor heard we were looking for a good woodcut of the Krupp Howitzer's barbette carriage from the late 1860s or early 70s.  Yesterday he showed up with a reprint of an old industrial dictionary in four large volumes.  Plate VIII attached to Volume 3 contained a beautiful woodcut of our gun down to the rivet and bolt patterns, etc.  As soon as I get Bruce over to Kinkos, I will get a decent copy of this most marvelous carriage for the 1,200-Pounder Rifled Seacoast Gun and post it.  The carriage is two and a half times the length of the gun's upper carriage and contains loads of very unique details.  It would have to be very substantially simplified to be as affordable as the gun was.  

It is extremely likely that this is the model that the Prussians mounted in northern Germany to protect key harbors from a suspected French Naval attack during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870.  The attack never came, but the militaristic and thorough Prussians had enough of these guns waiting to cool the ardor of the emotional French.  Not even with overwhelming feelings of elan, ( the feeling of invincibility ), could the French Naval Fleet weather a storm of 1,200 pound shells.  

Psychedelic Krupps?  DD, you're right, not too desirable.  Hold the plastic bags!

Allen, we are cutting way back on adult beverage consumption during our cannon testing sessions, even if everyone waits until after the shooting, the mere presence of empty bottle and cans lends a less-than-professional appearance to our photos.  Sculptor Bruce, the 82nd Airborne guy will have to deposit all those empties he produces into the chiminea as soon as he drains them.

Mike & Tracy

P.S.  Sorry I missed your last post before I hit 'save', Gulfcoast, but Mike and I do agree that we can consider the simplified lower carriage (called a chassis) only after we deliver those Krupp Howitzers AND the 1/6 scale Brooke Treble-Banded Seacoast and Navy Rifled
Guns we owe our customers and will be delivering in July/August of 2011.  Incidentally, we at Seacoast Artillery do appreciate those 'Shameless plugs'.  Thank you!

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #405 on: November 03, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
I'm really interested in seeing the picture of the carriage your friend Bruce found!  No problem with waiting for a possible chassis - seperating the cost would soften the blow to the bank account. :D

Offline Double D

« Reply #406 on: November 14, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
Anybody else notice how little we have seen of the Colorado trio lately...Mike and Tracy I understand, they are diligently machining away to make Krupps...

By what happened to Gary?   Did he get drafted for production work, ishe hiding from the draft?  Did he set sail on his yacht and find Gilligan and Mary Ann?

How many Krupps are left until the subscription is sold-out?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »
 Did he set sail on his yacht and find Gilligan and Mary Ann?

That DATES US.

;D

Some of US remember all the words too.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »
 Did he set sail on his yacht and find Gilligan and Mary Ann?

That DATES US.

;D

Some of US remember all the words too.

It's not bad enough that we remember, but our kids remember them ...first run and not syndication!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »

It's funny you should ask, DD.  As of two minutes ago, there is just 1 left, so if anyone wants one or perhaps another one, you better call tonight. Call Mike at the company phone number, (his home phone) which is:   303-469-0611.

Isn't that weird, just a few minutes ago we had two left, but rec'd. a PM from a former customer who wanted a second one for his son for a Christmas present.  This is the second customer who bought two.

I also remember all the characters from the show, Gilligan's Island and I remember Gilligan's former character, the beatnik, Krebbs.  THAT really dates me!!  ::) ::)

Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #410 on: November 14, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
      Mike is still on the phone with the latest customer, but he just told me that the last Krupp Howitzer has definitely been sold.  The entire First Edition is now Sold Out . Thank you one and all!!  Now we will try really hard to get these ready for Christmas delivery.  There is a chance that this might slip a bit due to the fact that Mike has to make a visit to relatives in California for a week or two.  It's going to be this year, rather than 2011.  That's all we can tell you for sure.  We are NOT going to make up new stamping dies at this point!!

If we do another gun in this series, it won't be before 2012, that's for sure.

Tracy and Mike

Offline Double D

« Reply #411 on: November 14, 2010, 04:12:15 PM »
      Mike is still on the phone with the latest customer, but he just told me that the last Krupp Howitzer has definitely been sold.  The entire First Edition is now Sold Out . Thank you one and all!!  Now we will try really hard to get these ready for Christmas delivery.  There is a chance that this might slip a bit due to the fact that Mike has to make a visit to relatives in California for a week or two.  It's going to be this year, rather than 2011.  That's all we can tell you for sure.  We are NOT going to make up new stamping dies at this point!!

If we do another gun in this series, it won't be before 2012, that's for sure.

Tracy and Mike

So when will  the cheap Chinese knock offs going to be available from Amazon.com and  EBay..

Congratulations on selling out!!  It must feel good!!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
     I also remember all the characters from the show, Gilligan's Island and I remember Gilligan's former character, the beatnik, Krebbs.  THAT really dates me!!  ::) ::)

Tracy

US.   Maynard G. Krebbs.   coool dude !
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
Anybody else notice how little we have seen of the Colorado trio lately...Mike and Tracy I understand, they are diligently machining away to make Krupps...

By what happened to Gary?   Did he get drafted for production work, ishe hiding from the draft?  Did he set sail on his yacht and find Gilligan and Mary Ann?

I'm still here , Mary Ann ...I WISH ! 'WEGO' is under wraps as of 2 weeks ago ...... How fast do you think a 28 ft. mast comes down when one of ''the help' lets the forward stay go when Mike and I were NOT ready ... Mike spit out a couple words ......I leaned on the 'leveraging arm' Mike ran aft to slow down the mast . Bruce eventually walked to the back of the boat and steadied the still coming down mast .....no biggie  ....  I guess but what a surprise !  ::)
This 82nd airborne guy moves like Moms Mabley in molassas ,jezz (theres dating me) .

We were forced to put my Dad in a long term nursing home 4 weeks ago ...... :-\
Then the car blew up so we bought a new (to us) car ...... two days ago Willie my 16 year old black lab went blind and had to be put down .

Just life happening ,but Ive been busy latley .

I know one thing for sure , we treat our dogs and cats better than our old folks . :'(
after watching my dad in his perdiciment taking Willie in to ease his suffering wasnt hard at all .

Gary

To add more stress last night Tracy calls me threating to sell my damn Brooks to someone else ....... :P
He now knows in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS I want my Brooks cannon . See ?  ;)

ETA yes CW I remember all the words . One night at midnight or so I was listening to the local DJ when he put out a challange to sing it ..... so I did  , it was bad and I was toasted  :P . About 1 min later my phone rings ...ut oh .

It was my Mom laughing her ass off ..... she still brings it up every so often ..... ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
Sounds like a rough month, Gary! :(  I hope the balance of the year is much better for you! :D

Nice to see the full run sold out!  It's a good indication that this is a successful venture - perhaps additional cannon will follow in series? ;D

Offline Double D

« Reply #415 on: November 25, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »
another version of the Krupp 1000 PDR. 

Woodcut source not credited.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #416 on: November 25, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »
      Double D. that is the one we are using to create the Krupp Howitzers.  Your version has all the details of our 2nd one shown on page one of this thread, but the details like the cap squares and the notches on the upper cheek edges below the breech area are quite a bit clearer on your woodcut.  Maybe all that cold weather and snow is numbing more than your fingers?   ;) ;)  Take a look at the photo I took this morning of our neighborhood and the Mountains of the Continental Divide.  Except for about five days each winter, we Coloradans keep our snow in the mountains where it belongs to amuse the skiers and tourists, not down here where it can mess with our driving or bury our lawnchairs!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gulfcoastblackpowder, the other photo is for you and other Krupp Chassis lovers.  You tell me; how can we possibly simplify this behemouth enough to let it go for less than two grand??  There must be a thousand features on that beast!

Tracy and Mike

This illustration is from Knight's American Mechanical Dictionary, Volume I, Published in 1874 and is presently in the public domain.  This is Plate VIII, ref. page 448.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #417 on: November 25, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
That's fantastic!!!  $2k?!?  I don't want a full scale one, you know! :o

One word...simplify... ;)

Offline Double D

« Reply #418 on: November 26, 2010, 06:44:42 AM »
     Double D. that is the one we are using to create the Krupp Howitzers.  Your version has all the details of our 2nd one shown on page one of this thread, but the details like the cap squares and the notches on the upper cheek edges below the breech area are quite a bit clearer on your woodcut.  Maybe all that cold weather and snow is numbing more than your fingers?   ;) ;)  Take a look at the photo I took this morning of our neighborhood and the Mountains of the Continental Divide.  Except for about five days each winter, we Coloradans keep our snow in the mountains where it belongs to amuse the skiers and tourists, not down here where it can mess with our driving or bury our lawnchairs!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

and Colorado's second language is Calfornica.

Gulfcoastblackpowder, the other photo is for you and other Krupp Chassis lovers.  You tell me; how can we possibly simplify this behemouth enough to let it go for less than two grand??  There must be a thousand features on that beast!

Tracy and Mike

This illustration is from Knight's American Mechanical Dictionary, Volume I, Published in 1874 and is presently in the public domain.  This is Plate VIII, ref. page 448.

I see a buck two ninety-eight in materials in a FC Krupp chassis and $1500 worth of holes to be drilled.

Is there any information about how the Carriage attached to the chassis?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #419 on: November 26, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »
... second language is Calfornica.

The correct name is Californish.
GG
--Winston Churchill