Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87194 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #600 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37:01 AM »
WOOHOO, I'm a guinea pig! :D Does this mean I'm part of the "Secret Krupp Cannon Experiment" ?  ;)  I do believe that the seacoastartillery packaging will be just fine as I know the boys put a lot of thought into it. I'm sure it will be much better then some of the tubes/cannons I have received by other people that were loosely packed with newspaper and a muzzle or cascabel was sticking out of the box.  :'(  Anyway, I look forward to receiving the new Krupp and I will follow up with the condition.

Shhhhhhhh.   That's Klassified Krupp information.  (BBR Klassification!!)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #601 on: March 17, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »
     We are starting a prototype of the first cannon, in what could eventually be a line of smaller and more affordable seacoast guns, this week,  by making some drawings and turning a salute gun tube.  We wanted a bold, powerful, gun to start things off.  We think the German 1,000 pounder Krupp Seacoast Gun fits the bill perfectly.  We are not sure yet whether these guns will be firecracker cannon or slightly larger salute guns.  For the salute gun, we want to keep the tube length to 14" or less and the breech diameter to about 2". For the firecracker cannon, 8 or 9" long by 1.50" diameter at the breech.  It will be a muzzle stuffer despite looking like a breechloader mainly to keep the cost down.

What do you guys think?  Any size or type preference?  1018 or 1026 steel will be used and this gun and carriage will be all machined.  Also there is the question of what looks better, a Big Brute of a "Howitzer" or a more Sophisticated Looking "Gun"?  Pictures of both are included for comparison.

Thanks for helping us design this first piece; we do appreciated your input.

Mike and Tracy

14" Krupp Seacoast Gun at the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition.  Note breech block details.

1,000 Pounder Krupp Howitzer at the 1867 Paris Exhibition where it won a prize.  Exhibition display mount with armor piercing shell.  The sliding breech block can be seen also.

Right side of the same Krupp howitzer, Model 1866 on a Seacoast Fortress Barbette Carriage showing a 1,000 pound shell and shell crane.

M&T
I think it is great that you are considering building a smaller line that is more affordable.  Personally, it does not matter to me if it is a salute gun or a firecracker cannon, as long as I can fire a firecracker cannon without actually using a firecracker as they are illegal in our state.  I like the longer bun better than the shorter one.  I will be waiting for more news on this effort.
Tim
PS:  BOLO for some sweetness arriving soon.

I was going over the historical info posted here and discovered an error.  Model year of 1867 s/b 1866.

TK
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #602 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:06 AM »
Nope not yet.... thankfully they are being sent USPS and not these guys....

And OH BOY!!! MINE'S ON THE WAY!!! MINE'S ON THE WAY!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D

I have the word on shipping from an expert authority who has shipped hundreds and hundred of cannons large and small.  He says to use U.S.P.S. for arrival in excellent condition, assuming adequate packaging, of course.

TK

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #603 on: March 17, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »
          How to Load and Fire the Krupp Seacoast Howitzer Model 1866

After a long consultation with our lawyer, Seacoast Artillery Company cautions you that this little cannon is really a signal gun and  our lawyer says that no projectiles of any kind or type should be fired from it.  The entire section below is for educational purposes only and should be read as such.

This is the way the Krupp comes out of the shipping box and this is the way it should be stored when not in use.  The Breech Block and the Striker Assy. are locked within the breech.  The Striker Assy Locking Lever on the right locks both.

This photo shows the lever unlocked and the Striker Assy. withdrawn to the firecracker or crayon loading position.  Note that the firecracker has it’s fuse folded back along it’s side and is lying in the projectile loading groove cut into the end of the Breech Block.

A narrowed popsickle stick makes an excellent loading implement.  Push the cracker or crayon into the bore just beyond flush with the surface of the  Breech Block hole.

Press the percussion cap upon the nipple.  If  the brand you have will not fit on the nipple or will not go on so that it is below the surface of the Breech Block hole, try a different brand or you may use a larger #11 cap by pinching the open end of the cap slightly, so that it stays on the #10 nipple even when upside down.  The Striker Assy. is shown to be cocked in this photo.  It should not be. It is slightly safer to do the cocking later.  See the last photo caption.

Rotate the Breech Block 180 degs. So the powder chamber is up.  Place approx. 3.8 grains of FFFg or FFg black powder into the chamber or fill flush with the top of the chamber.  Push the Breech Block back into the Breech and rotate the Block 90 degs., so the handle goes CCW. 

Cock the Striker Assy. by pulling the brass and steel  T- handle  back until it stops, then rotate 90 degs CCW.  WITHOUT TOUCHING THE T-HANDLE,  with your left thumb, push the already cocked, Striker Assy. forward firmly.  Lock it in place by rotating the Striker Assy. Locking Lever downward. 

To make the Krupp Howitzer ready to fire, rotate the Striker Assy. T-handle CW 60 degs.  FIRE by continuing to rotate T-handle CW with one extended finger until approx. horizontal..............BLAM!!      Congratulations!  You have loaded and fired your Krupp Seacoast Howitzer, Model 1866, Signal Cannon.

Be safe; have fun,

Mike and Tracy

The Krupp Seacoast Howitzer Model 1866 made by
      Seacoast Artillery Company in 2011

Safety and History

SAFETY:

Make sure the area in front of the Krupp is clear of people and pets immediately before you fire.

Use ONLY authentic Black Powder in your Krupp Howitzer.

Load powder ONLY in the Breech Block Chamber, NEVER in the Barrel.

NEVER fire metal balls or slugs of any type.

ALWAYS wear eye and ear protection when shooting your cannon.

For SAFETY, go SLOWLY and THINK about what you are doing; do not let anyone hurry you.

HISTORY:

The Krupp company in Essen, Germany was making large quantities of steel by the 1850s.  Production of armaments started around the late 1850s.  Design and production of seacoast artillery began in the 1860s.  The Model 1866, 14” Seacoast Howitzer was built with a view that bigger was better and used a sliding breech block that German Naval forces used all the way through WWII on their heavy naval artillery. 

The fact that a proposed French Naval attack on the northern coast of Germany during the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871) was called off is thought by some to be attributed to the deterrent provided by arming the major ports with batteries of the huge Model 1866 Seacoast Howitzers.

Your gun is a miniature of the 1,000 pounder German seacoast howitzer that won a prize at the Paris Exposition of 1867.  A longer barreled seacoast gun, also of 14” bore was featured with other Krupp products at the Philadelphia Expostion of 1876.  It fired 1,000 to 1,200 pound armor piercing shells and bolts.  Although these guns were accurate, fairly primitive sights limited their effectiveness at long range.  Maximum range was approximately 6,000 yards and maximum effective range was about 1,500 yards.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #604 on: March 18, 2011, 01:56:47 AM »
M&T - You should publish the above post as a PDF.

AND, THANKYOU for not putting that entire safety statement stamped into the barrel!!!!!!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #605 on: March 18, 2011, 10:14:19 AM »
Well my #2 didn't show up in the mail at work today  :-\

so I guess I'll see it monday...
  :)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #606 on: March 18, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
I just finished reading the instructions for shooting this thing off.
I'm tired already. Gonna have to start working out.   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #607 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:49 AM »
Well I walked into my office this morning and sitting on my chair was a Priority mail box.....
the box was in great shape showing no abuse, Before I describe the actual packaging I would say
from years of experience of packing items for shipping that the time they took to pack must have
been almost as much as some of the machining operations on this little gun took. this package would have probably survived a nuclear test and would have been the only thing left to show mankind existed...... upon opening it I discovered a piece of plywood lifting this out I discovered the mummified Krupp between two pieces of Styrofoam it was taped securely to the lower piece of plywood I cut the mummy lose from the wood and began carefully taking off the many layers of wrappings it was like one of those Russian wooden figures which you open and there is another one inside and you keep opening until you get to the smallest one.....after four layers of heavy paper the cannon began to emerge, a combination of masking tape & green felt protected the working end and the muzzle, heavy strapping tape held the barrel to the carriage after De-mummifying the little Krupp and letting once again see the light of day in all it's glory all I can say to both T&M of Sea Coast Artillery have done an outstanding job, the workmanship on this little cannon is exactly what one expects from these gentleman. I am meeting with Rick and DD for lunch today so there will be a meeting of KRUPPS today.   
  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #608 on: March 21, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
I spoke with my office today and they informed me that I have a Priority Mail box on my desk.  It is in great condition according to Jenny.   The bad news is that I am 250 miles south of my office until late tomorrow night.  I will let you know as soon as I can on how well it shipped.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #609 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »
Well.... Lucky #7 arrived today. It is safe and sound! I kinda had a childhood flashback when removing all of the brown paper layers. I thought I was unwrapping a firecracker to get to that powder inside.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Anyway, I want to Thank Seacoast for a quality product! I am a Happy Camper! Below is a few pics for all to see. I just takes patience unpack.  ;)

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #610 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
Anticipation ....

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #611 on: March 21, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
No. 24  meets  Kabar.

Offline Double D

« Reply #612 on: March 21, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
Krupp No. 24 reunites with is brother  No. 2 who he hasn't seen since they left Colorado.

Offline Double D

« Reply #613 on: March 21, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »
No. 24  meets Rampa Room Artillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #614 on: March 21, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
       Nice photos DD.  Hope you and Katherine had a good time in Yorktown.  Thanks to Karbar2 for that excellent description of our packaging and it's chances for survival while subjected to severe calamities.  Excellent pictures, intoodeep.  You and Allen should be awarded our "Peel the Onion" Award  for 2011.  Rick, nice seeing you; looks like some serious mortars in the back of your truck!  Allen, thanks for bringing your WWI Helmet to the photo shoot.  Love that pic of the Krupp family reunion beside the Prussian PickleHaube spiked helmet.

"Mitt Gott Fur Koenig und Vateland"

T. Kunze

P.S.    Spuddy, just a hint, when you finally get after it, be sure you have a very sharp potato peeler!

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #615 on: March 22, 2011, 01:18:02 AM »
What a great idea for a calendar for next year...The Krupp Family Vacation  ;D

Offline robbob

« Reply #616 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:14 AM »
Does this mean that the rest are in the mail now?????  I can't wait to  get mine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #617 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:26 AM »
     Robrob,   No, I'm a good packager, but not a fast one, Rob.  I takes me just about one and a half hours to wrap each Krupp Howitzer and package it and I will WILL NOT be hurried, so you guys will continue to receive  your howitzers in excellent condition although you may have to wait a bit to get them.  Looking after my grandson and doing office work takes a portion of my day, so five Krupps per day is about all I can do.  By Saturday evening, they should all be packaged and shipped except for three which will go out on the following Monday.  We ship the same day that they are packaged so as not to cause a lengthy delay in the line at our busy Post Office.

Mike is finished with the Striker Assy, regulation and test firing now.  He fired three caps per gun to check reliability and if the result was not 100% he tore the mechanism down to inspect each part, polish and reassemble for another go at it.  So, I get to clean all the nipple recesses, striker faces, breech blocks and bores and re-oil them BEFORE I even get my hands on tape or Kraft paper!  Gee, Thanks,.....Mike!  Only kidding; customer delight is our goal and delight is not present when the cannon won't fire.  It's a necessary quality assurance step.

Tracy and Mike

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #618 on: March 22, 2011, 05:10:42 AM »
It takes me just about one and a half hours to wrap each Krupp Howitzer and package it

Tracy and Mike

I suspected as much.... it took me a good 15 min. to unwrap it..... I have shipped heavy odd shaped items and have spent 45 min. to and hour on packaging the time is worth it as it saves a lot of grief later by the package getting to it's destination in one piece.  Again Bravo!

And after all the talk of Pickelhabens I had to make sure I had it with  ;D

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #619 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
Dear Seacoastartilliery, can you tell me which Krupp replica number I am getting? Looking forward to it - great to see photos of members with their cannons and with DD's. You guys have really done something special with this whole project. Thanks for all of your hard work, expertise and attention to every detail.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #620 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Dear Skip,

You sir, are very lucky indeed to have gotten a special number Krupp assigned to you.  Although each serial number except for #24 and # P4 was assigned by chance or by sequence of the orders as they came in, to be more accurate.  You are privileged indeed to be assigned the very number that started Seacoast Artillery's business back in 2003.  Take a look carefully at the 1864 photo that started us off on a quest that has provided a modest success business-wise, but more fun than we ever expected in our wildest imaginings.

Number 13 is assigned to you and we hope it is as lucky for you as it was for those cannoneers of the 3rd Mass. Heavy Artillery in Fort Totten as they supported the batteries of Fort Stevens in 1864 as they repelled the advance of Jubal Early's Confederate Army who seriously probed the defenses of Washington.  Their 100 Pdr. Parrott Seacoast and Navy Rifle DID NOT blow up during the battle!  And we hope it brings you luck similar to that which we have enjoyed for 8 years now.

Mike and Tracy

The first cannon we built was an exact re-creation of this photo which we own in 38" X 46" size.

Offline Double D

« Reply #621 on: March 23, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
No. 24 stopped and visited Boremax  Virginia  Beach.  You guys may not know boremax yet, but I can assure you if you met him you would want to be his friend, he has some neat toys.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #622 on: March 23, 2011, 02:49:52 PM »
Dear Mike and Tracy - thank you for the very cool answer and number. I see the number 13 on the small round plaque at right of cannon and possibly on the breech of the cannon itself in photo? Very interesting indeed. I was born on the 13th of October so it seems like the right number for me. Thanks so much.

Is there a list of buyers somewhere in this link? Thanks again. You guys are THE best.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #623 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:01 PM »
     Double D.,  Was Boremax the gentleman who had a full size gun displayed outside somewhere?

Skip,   You have really good eyes if you can see the No. 13 on the Parrott's breech.  It's there and on the Rammer and Sponge stand in the right foreground and on the plaque on the whitewashed log within the gun position revetment in the right middleground.  Their is no list of buyers and we would not be so presumptuous as to post one.  Born on the 13th of October?  Chances are you are not superstitious then.  Neither are Mike or I, but we avoid walking beneath ladders, because there are too many ways that a bucket of paint can be dislodged and come down on your head as you walk below.  As for Black Cats, nobody need worry about them at all.  We have it straight from a British Witch that Black Cats are harmless; it's the gray ones you have to worry about!!  ::) ::)

Spuddy gave us the good word about the condition of his Krupp today.  3 for 3 good.  Packaging is a GO.  So, Mark Jordan, Ron Fiorio, Pete Yeomans and Bruce Cameron should be seeing Krupps arrive in two to three days.

Mike and Tracy

Offline robbob

« Reply #624 on: March 24, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »
     Robrob,   No, I'm a good packager, but not a fast one, Rob.  I takes me just about one and a half hours to wrap each Krupp Howitzer and package it and I will WILL NOT be hurried, so you guys will continue to receive  your howitzers in excellent condition although you may have to wait a bit to get them.  Looking after my grandson and doing office work takes a portion of my day, so five Krupps per day is about all I can do.  By Saturday evening, they should all be packaged and shipped except for three which will go out on the following Monday.  We ship the same day that they are packaged so as not to cause a lengthy delay in the line at our busy Post Office.

Mike is finished with the Striker Assy, regulation and test firing now.  He fired three caps per gun to check reliability and if the result was not 100% he tore the mechanism down to inspect each part, polish and reassemble for another go at it.  So, I get to clean all the nipple recesses, striker faces, breech blocks and bores and re-oil them BEFORE I even get my hands on tape or Kraft paper!  Gee, Thanks,.....Mike!  Only kidding; customer delight is our goal and delight is not present when the cannon won't fire.  It's a necessary quality assurance step.

Tracy and Mike

Don't know why I would be so anxious, my powder keg is dry, er I mean empty...It should always be dry.  ;)  I need to get to the powder store sooooonnn.

Rob

Offline Double D

« Reply #625 on: March 24, 2011, 04:54:09 AM »
     Double D.,  Was Boremax the gentleman who had a full size gun displayed outside somewhere?

Skip,   You have really good eyes if you can see the No. 13 on the Parrott's breech.  It's there and on the Rammer and Sponge stand in the right foreground and on the plaque on the whitewashed log within the gun position revetment in the right middleground.  Their is no list of buyers and we would not be so presumptuous as to post one.  Born on the 13th of October?  Chances are you are not superstitious then.  Neither are Mike or I, but we avoid walking beneath ladders, because there are too many ways that a bucket of paint can be dislodged and come down on your head as you walk below.  As for Black Cats, nobody need worry about them at all.  We have it straight from a British Witch that Black Cats are harmless; it's the gray ones you have to worry about!!  ::) ::)

Spuddy gave us the good word about the condition of his Krupp today.  3 for 3 good.  Packaging is a GO.  So, Mark Jordan, Ron Fiorio, Pete Yeomans and Bruce Cameron should be seeing Krupps arrive in two to three days.

Mike and Tracy

Boremax works with Kabar.....

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #626 on: March 24, 2011, 05:02:50 AM »
Actually Boremax is my Boss & owner of the company I work for and bothTracy & Mike
made his acquaintance a couple of years ago on their visit to LBT. we both have a bolt which would have been fired out of their Brooke as a souvenir of their visit.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #627 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:42 AM »
Mike and Tracy,  Thank you for the update! Looks like I'll have to clear some trench art off of a shelf to make room for a Krupp. Don't know where I'll put the shells; but, the Krupp has to have a niche of its own.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #628 on: March 24, 2011, 08:01:37 AM »
Actually Boremax is my Boss & owner of the company I work for and both Terry & Mike
made his acquaintance a couple of years ago on their visit to LBT. we both have a bolt which would have been fired out of their Brooke as a souvenir of their visit.

Oh man, Tracy is going to be peeved when he finds out that “Terry & Mike” ditched him in CO, while they went traversing state lines all over this great land of ours. ;D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #629 on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
 :o oops!  ::) And fixed