Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87248 times)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #630 on: March 25, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
A mysterious note from the Post Office this evening saying they were holding a insured parcel for pickup. Could it be, so soon?  Tomorrow should tell the tale. Hopefully pics to follow!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #631 on: March 25, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »
    Yes Kabar2, I do remember your boss and the deluxe tour he gave us; I just clumsily wanted a little extra info out of DD, but you came to the front instead.  That was a fun trip as I recall and it was extra nice when visiting Virginia Beach, VA!

Robrob, Your Krupp is Now in the mail and you are in very good company too.  In this batch we have an East Coast Moderator, a cannon maker extraordinaire and a really nice guy who doesn't mind getting lucky 13!  Robert Heverly, Tim Kuntz, Dominick Carpenter and Skip Bertrand should be receiving their Krupp Howitzers in 2 to 3 days.  They were shipped this afternoon.

Just a reminder:  to avoid scratches, cut away the packing paper from the bottom.  Also another hint, use a 3/32" allen wrench to loosen the end of breech set screw to remove the sliding Breech Block for cleaning.  Same wrench is used for the bottom of breech, set screw which releases the Striker Assy. Carrier for cleaning.

Mike and Tracy

P.S.  Little seacoast, it could be a cannon waiting for you or it could be Tea Service for 4 from your Aunt Millie, who knows?  ;D
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline robbob

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #632 on: March 26, 2011, 06:04:30 AM »
Oh Boy! Oh Boy! Oh Boy! Oh Boy! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I came home from work the other day and there was a large flat rate box on my porch and I got real excited.  It was only a box of light bulbs for the yard lights that burnt out over the winter. ::)

Looking forward to the next box!  ;D

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #633 on: March 26, 2011, 06:39:07 AM »
After a long night of anticipation..... Number 10 has arrived at it's new home in prime condition.
And what a beauty!!!  :)  Love the engineering, detail & finish!!!    :D  Way cool guys, way cool.  ;D

Seacoast Artillery,  You guys gave us a gift. Something all of us will cherish.

Thanks Tracy & Mike.
Bruce

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #634 on: March 26, 2011, 07:18:48 AM »
well i am very sad i missed out on the krupp,   so  what are you building next??  somthing in 1 inch ca.??  maybe     

rick bryan

Offline robbob

« Reply #635 on: March 26, 2011, 07:25:24 AM »
1" would be good!  ;D  When can I send in a deposit?????? :P

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2011, 08:44:12 AM »
I'd have to go back to work. :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
well i am very sad i missed out on the krupp,   so  what are you building next??  somthing in 1 inch ca.??  maybe
rick bryan

There is absolutely no disrespect of the firecracker crowd intended by this post, but if that beauty of a model had an open breech that just so happened to perfectly accommodate a black powder blank 12 gauge shell, I would have moved so fast in placing an order that it's possible small funnel clouds would have formed around my typing fingers.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:13 AM »
That raised a need!

We need a good design on an 'approved' breech loading 12 ga (or 20 ga) Blanken-boomer!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #639 on: March 26, 2011, 01:04:45 PM »
     You can go to the Bellmore Johnson Co. or to Beaufort Naval Armorers to get some real nice 10 gauge blank guns.  We went through that FFL dealer crap 30 years ago for long enough to know we NEVER wanted to do it again.  Cartridge guns are FFL controlled and Nobody with a lick of sense would ever make a 12 Gauge cannon.  The liability potential with all those millions of 12 Gauge field loads out there is terrific. 

I don't believe we will ever get up to 1.00" on this small gun seacoast series.  .750" will probably be the largest.  We were not in error 5 months ago when we said the production of these smaller guns would take a hiatus for about one to one and a half years.  We have other priorities ahead of them.  Brooke cannons, rifled sleeves (liners), and rifled cannon blanks will be completed first, tested and marketed.

Bruce,   We are glad you like it.  Thanks for the kind words.  Glad it arrived in excellent condition, I was worried.  I believe I might have missed a couple layers of kraft paper on yours.  I was wrapping away, listening to some nice soothing Credence Clearwater Revival tunes, when suddenly Janis Joplin is on the air wailing or screeching.  E-gad, yikes!  Lost my count, you may have gotten only 23 wraps instead of 25.  Anyway, it arrived looking nice, that's the important thing!

Tracy and Mike

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #640 on: March 26, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »
Well it ain't Aunt Millie's tea set thank God.  After going through 4 seperate layers or wrapping while the wife sat watching and making comments I found #3 in the expected wonderful shape.  Went out to fire it and discovered that i don't have any percussion caps!  Tomorrow a run to Knoxville is in order and will post pics of live fire then.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »
     You can go to the Bellmore Johnson Co. or to Beaufort Naval Armorers to get some real nice 10 gauge blank guns.  We went through that FFL dealer crap 30 years ago for long enough to know we NEVER wanted to do it again.  Cartridge guns are FFL controlled and Nobody with a lick of sense would ever make a 12 Gauge cannon.  The liability potential with all those millions of 12 Gauge field loads out there is terrific. 
 Tracy and Mike

I didn't know a FFL was needed to sell BP blank salute guns. Oh well, I guess that's the name of that tune, thanks for at least dashing my hopes gently.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #642 on: March 26, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »
When I got home from town today there were 2 boxes on the front porch. The big box had a 105mm trench art lamp in it. The other box was from Seacoast Artillery Company. Upon opening the box I was confronted by a heavy paper wrapped cocoon. I somewhat agressively unwrapped and unwrapped and unwrapped until I got to the final layer and then delicately took off the final layers of tape, paper and green velvet from the metal underneath.
Lo and behold; Krupp #6 has a new home in Mckinleyville, California. What a great little beauty! Words alone cannon describe this work of art. Mike and Tracy you have created a new art form. Thank you very much!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:49 AM »
After going through 4 seperate layers or wrapping while the wife sat watching and making comments I found #3 in the expected wonderful shape.

We are glad it arrived in excellent condition and we can only hope your wife's comments were pleasant ones of eager anticipation or at least neutral like, " I bet the Egyptians didn't wrap their dead Pharaohs any better than this".  Get some caps!  I'm really sure that you know this, but for those who don't or may forget, please wipe the oil off all internal parts before firing to avoid a gooey mess.

Cannoneer,  I called a local FFL dealer and he said it's O.K. to buy and ship 10 gauge blank firing cannon as long as they are signal guns, so which opinion is correct?  Even if he is correct, we would not be making them in any shotgun caliber because of the liability angle.   We have seen Beaufort Naval Armorers signal guns close up when we visited their shop.  They are really nice cannons.  Their prices are quite reasonable for such high quality.

Ex 49'er,    Mike and I feel honored that you would make room for the Krupp next to your Trench Art Collection.  This is merely a friendly suggestion:  to make the little howitzer feel truly welcome, why don't you place it next to your German 77 mm shell casing marked  'Fried Krupp A. G.' on the shell's base near the screw-in primer pocket?  It would feel more comfortable there, rather than being flanked by an 18 Pdr British and a French 75 !  Thanks for your kind words about the newest Kraut in your collection.

A little water on a Q-tip keeps 'em going,

Mike & Tracy

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »
[

Cannoneer,  I called a local FFL dealer and he said it's O.K. to buy and ship 10 gauge blank firing cannon as long as they are signal guns, so which opinion is correct?  Even if he is correct, we would not be making them in any shotgun caliber because of the liability angle.   We have seen Beaufort Naval Armorers signal guns close up when we visited their shop.  They are really nice cannons.  Their prices are quite reasonable for such high quality.

A little water on a Q-tip keeps 'em going,

Mike & Tracy

As is the policy of this board the only correct answer comes from writing a letter to ATF In Washington.

The two best places to inquire and have a good chance of getting a wrong answer is a FFL dealer or an ATF Agent in the field...when you are in court, you will not be able find either one to testify in your behalf.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #645 on: March 27, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Today I got out the tools and cleaning equipment. I took the Krupp apart, wiped all of the oil off of the interior parts and put it back together again. It's still raining outside so I shot it indoors. Sorry no smoke or fire yet.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #646 on: March 27, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #647 on: March 27, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »

As is the policy of this board the only correct answer comes from writing a letter to ATF In Washington.

The two best places to inquire and have a good chance of getting a wrong answer is a FFL dealer or an ATF Agent in the field...when you are in court, you will not be able find either one to testify in your behalf.

DD,

Does this count as a letter? It's not mine.  It's from another manufacture.

http://www.cannonsusa.com/ATFDocuments2.htm
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #648 on: March 27, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
Just to be on the safe side, I'd get a copy with your name and contact info on them.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #649 on: March 27, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
... why don't you place it next to your German 77 mm shell casing marked  'Fried Krupp A. G.' on the shell's base ...

I don't have a 77 mm shell head but I do have a WW II ashtray with a .50 BMG cartridge (no powder but with bullet) in the center and an 88 mm FLAK 41 case head as the base.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #650 on: March 28, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »

DD,

Does this count as a letter? It's not mine.  It's from another manufacture.

http://www.cannonsusa.com/ATFDocuments2.htm

These letters are in fact useless as posted.  The is no legal reason to delete the issuing official identity. Without knowing who he is there is no way to know that who ever signed and issued the letter had the legal authority to issue such letter.  His name is a matter of public record.

Beside we already have one of the letters posted here a long time ago.  Research post by  Wes Pilley , Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #651 on: March 28, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
Today I got out the tools and cleaning equipment. I took the Krupp apart, wiped all of the oil off of the interior parts and put it back together again. It's still raining outside so I shot it indoors. Sorry no smoke or fire yet.   

Ex 49'er,   good for you.  Now we are back on topic; lets hope we can stay there at least briefly.  We are looking forward to those pics.

We are still working on the packaging of the second to last lot for delivery.  We hope to send another six out today before the Post Office closes at 5 o'clock.  Just a brief side note here:  having met George Gaskill in Montana and discovering that he is a genuinely nice fellow, we are reluctant to tease or rib him about much, but we noticed just a wee bit of impatience on his part while groveling on the ground during ZINC CASTING OPS which was particularly hard on your knees in Montana due to little stones in the soil.  So, we are preparing a very special airborne delivery system to get his Krupp to southern California quickly.  That's O.K. George, no need to thank us.  Once in a while we just make the time to do special things for our friends and customers.

Love this cannon business!  You get to do such neat stuff.

Tracy and Mike

These are just the boosters here, George, quite a few sustainer motors are yet to be installed.  Continuity check going on here. The Krupp bearing Spaceplane is our own design.  Simpler is better most of the time.  We figure after a launch from Mike's backyard and a steady climb up to about 60,000 feet over the Rocky Mountains, a long, but rapid glide into California will be assured. The payload is adequately packaged to avoid damage should a mishap occur.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
Leave it to two aerospace engineers to at some point leave the world of artillery
and revert back to rockets!   ::) 
I hope you have your telemetry exact I would hate to see this over shoot and land in the Pacific....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #653 on: March 28, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
     Ex 49'er,   good for you.  Now we are back on topic; lets hope we can stay there at least briefly.

Ask, and ye shall receive; pardon me.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #654 on: March 28, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
#12 has ARRIVED!!!!!

As per the others, was overly well packaged - even the infamous USPS couldn't damage it!  (One minor hole punched through one corner of the box.)

My only misgiving / regret is that I didn't order two!

Tools are next to disassemble, clean and USE!  Pix to follow!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #655 on: March 28, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
No rush although I appreciate your attention.  Just make sure there are no markings on the outside that might clue the mailroom to the contents.   ;D

Considering the weight, JATO rockets may be more appropriate.  ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #656 on: March 28, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
No rush although I appreciate your attention.  Just make sure there are no markings on the outside that might clue the mailroom to the contents.   ;D

Was watching the news this morning and they showed a crate that the Libyan rebels had looted. The crate had an aircraft missile in it.  Outside of the box was marked  DPR of Korea, parts of  bulldozer.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #657 on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »

Was watching the news this morning and they showed a crate that the Libyan rebels had looted. The crate had an aircraft missile in it.  Outside of the box was marked  DPR of Korea, parts of  bulldozer.

That's customary for them.   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #658 on: March 28, 2011, 05:21:09 PM »
First, get the 3/32 Allen wrench, parts tray and look inside ....
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #659 on: March 28, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
At work today I got a handful of projos: Pencils and Crayons!    ;D