Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87245 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #720 on: April 05, 2011, 05:48:33 AM »
      You know DD, I wasn't quite sure if I had an answer to your question, so I decided to take a walk out through the sprawling Broomfield Cannon Manufactory this morning and ponder your question for a while.   I walked north along the side of our canal that roughly divides the works in half.  As I passed the idle finishing shops, I noticed a couple workmen whittling wooden bobbers for their next fishing trip.  I passed the boring mill shop and thought a little about those newfangled flashlights.  Passing the Forging Shop with it's silent 100 Ton Hammer, I mused about tipping the tube to dump the cap fragments out, but it wasn't until after I went beyond all the raw materials sheds, that I realized that I needed to talk to Sally, the best barge-hauling Mule we've ever had, so I crossed the little, high-arched canal bridge and headed out into the western pasture. I saw her at the far side with her head bobbing as she ate the lush, new Springtime grass.  As I approached, her head swung around and she nodded approval of this frosty morning visit.  I patted her flanks and whispered nonsense to her, and then, while kneading her big 'ole ears, I put your warranty question to her.  She shivered all over as I tickled her belly, and, with a series of nods and snorts, seemed to approve of the new method of Krupp clearing.  So, from the smartest critter at the cannon works, you have your answer.  If it's good enough for Sally, it's good enough for us!

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #721 on: April 05, 2011, 07:10:10 AM »
I have a brother-in-law that makes fine Windsor Chairs ( http://www.windsorchairresources.com/sawyer.html ).  Makes 'em by hand.  Starts by walking through the woods, around the right side of the pond and picks each piece and type of wood for each application.  Carves by hand, steam bends and finishes in the original milk paint.

His warrenty is just as well thought through, but a little different.  (both are good)  He simply says, guarenteed for life - yours or mine.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #722 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
Completely disassembled the barrel mechanisms today and was surprised how much crud I had missed with my earlier simple cleaning. From now on a full strip will be the order of the day after firing, no reason not to with your easy disassembly.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #723 on: April 05, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
I havn't had any issuses with jamming caps I have been using Remingtons they just split open then fall off when I open the breech . Dirt in the "track" on the rotating bolt will stop you .

YMMV

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #724 on: April 05, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #725 on: April 05, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »
hummmm,  sure would be fun to shoot those out of that gun,   , , ,

just  a thought.

rick bryan

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #726 on: April 05, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
     Thank goodness we didn't gundrill those bores any bigger than 9mm (.354").  Double D, if you somehow manage to cram one of those .58 cal. minies down your Krupp's bore, that WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!  Just so you know.

Rampa room artillery,  You met him and know he thinks like a big kid, so Don't Encourage Him!  Please!

Tracy & Mike

P.S.  Glad you fellows are figuring out the cleaning routine.  It is easy and doesn't take long at all.  CW, I like that guarantee; it's simple and easily understood.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #727 on: April 05, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
i am just a fly on the wall,   watching and waiting lol

Offline Double D

« Reply #728 on: April 05, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
     Thank goodness we didn't gundrill those bores any bigger than 9mm (.354").  Double D, if you somehow manage to cram one of those .58 cal. minies down your Krupp's bore, that WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!  Just so you know.

58 caliber Minies!!!!!!! Not French at all...English .590 Snider!!!  I couldn't figure out how to load them.....

• A Real Regular
« Reply #729 on: April 05, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »
look you just have to keep taping the rammer in till they go down, lol  well maybe that wont work after all.

rick bryan

Offline GGaskill

Same Scales
« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
Just to give some idea of scale, I include a picture of a 1:20.3 scale model of a 3 foot gauge 2-8-0 steam locomotive and the Krupp.  (I will add the picture after I determine the password for my website.)   >:(

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #731 on: April 06, 2011, 05:11:03 AM »

Rampa room artillery,  You met him and know he thinks like a big kid, so Don't Encourage Him!  Please!

Tracy & Mike
So you mean I shouldn't line my with a chunk or 20mm barrel?  :-\

Just kidding I like it the way it is..... 8)

P.S.  Glad you fellows are figuring out the cleaning routine.  It is easy and doesn't take long at all.  CW, I like that guarantee; it's simple and easily understood.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #732 on: April 06, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
Number 17 made it home safely. I am so glad I didn't miss out on this. Can't wait to shoot it. A++

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #733 on: April 06, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »
    .590 Snider?     OOPS!       20mm, I hope not!  Save it for your future Armstrong gun.   Asron87,  We are glad No. 17 made it to you in good condition.  Smoke and flame pics are a must!

GGaskill,  we are very happy that you posted that nice RR engine and coal car photo for scale.  We did some calculations and found out that the Krupp's scale is  1:25.3  So, I believe the train and the howitzer, if made to the train scale would result in a Krupp about 20% larger.  The Krupp tube would be pretty close to the length of the engine from the front of the boiler to the back of the cab body.

Some assumptions were made to get a scale figure in 15 minutes instead of hours.  The man without the hat was assumed to be 72" tall so, we have a ratio solution of the number of inches the original tube is long.

The man is one inch long on the print of the drawing image; the tube is 3.25" long. 
                                                                                           72:1 = x:3.25
                                                                                              234/1 = 234 
                                                                                                 x =  234"   The tube was 19.5 feet long.

The Seacoast Artillery Co. Krupp is 9.25" long, so to get the scale of the seacoast gun, we calculate:     9.25 : 234 = 1 : 25.3      The Krupp's scale as we made it is 1 to 25.3, which yielded a howitzer approx. 20% smaller than the RR engine.     

FYI,

Mike and Tracy     

Posted once before, but here is a clearest drawing we have for clarity on our method for determining the howitzer's scale.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #734 on: April 06, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
Interesting, I thought you somewhere said it was 1:20 so I used the 1:20.3 locomotive and tender.  I have some 1:22.5 scale also; maybe I will dig one out and compare it to the Krupp.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #735 on: April 07, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »
It's bigger than that.  In 2000 the average height of an adult  German  Male was 5" 10" -70" inches.

The mean average height of an enlisted man in the  U.S.Civil war was 67 inches, George Custer was 67.1 inches tall in 1876.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #736 on: April 07, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »
    Thanks George and Douglas, you guys are right, of course.  Do you see what happens every time we get in a hurry and do things Fast?  The result is that they become  'half-fast'!  The scale is 1:20 and we got that by taking our time and using an actual photo, the first image shown in this thread on page one.  This is the ratio method we used to determine the scale last July.

Using photo quality paper we made a 1:1 size copy of the original computer image of the old sepia photo.  Then we measured the 14" shell in the image with calipers and got .400".  The Breech dia. measured 1.087".  So, we ran the numbers again, as we did originally:         14:.400=X:1.087
                               14 X 1.087 = 15.218/.400 = 38.045" (Original Krupp Breech O.D.)
                                                                              1.900" (Seacoast's Krupp Breech O.D.)     38.045/1.900=20.02

The Scale we used to make this reduced size Krupp gun is 1:20  (Rounded from 1:20.02)  This was our method and the drawing on page 2 of this thread shows that ratio at the bottom.

So, George's train is very close to the Krupp Howitzer's scale and is excellent for size comparison.

Tracy and Mike

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #737 on: April 07, 2011, 10:17:01 PM »
Not to be too much of a rivet counter but examining the above drawing of the Krupp, it looks as though there are capsquares on the trunnions.  And some squarish thing too.  Any ideas?  Just artistic license? 
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:22 AM »
Not to be too much of a rivet counter but examining the above drawing of the Krupp, it looks as though there are capsquares on the trunnions.  And some squarish thing too.  Any ideas?  Just artistic license?

They didn't have a really really big guy with huge gloves to stand behind it!   ;) ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2011, 02:09:30 AM »

They didn't have a really really big guy with huge gloves to stand behind it!   ;) ;D

Good one Tim, I had to think about it for a second or two.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:28 AM »
it looks as though there are capsquares on the trunnions.
Just artistic license?
Not so sure about that.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #741 on: April 08, 2011, 07:45:07 AM »
Soot,

Thanks for the images, one thing I note are the pockets in front for the wheels,
capsquares, and it looks like some sort of angle/degree gauge on the turnnion,
from the looks of things the bolt patterns in the front and middle of the gun attach
the irons for the cap squares.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #742 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
Notice the guy ready to fire his bowling ball mortar there in the first pic?   ;)
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
 ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
Notice the guy ready to fire his bowling ball mortar there in the first pic?   ;)

Bowling ball mortar?  :o TOO SMALL!

Ummm...  ??? .... Me thinks that's a bottom fused shell set to show the cavity it looks
like he may be painting some lettering on it for the display....

Offline Double D

« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »

He has that impish "hold my beer and watch this" look on his face...

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #746 on: April 09, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
That indeed is a most interesting drawing.

It appears that there are 3 rounds sitting there in front of the piece.
The middle one is new, the outer pair appear to have been fired?
Is that a base fuse/gizmo that has been unscrewed from the near one?

What is the 'tool' that the worker is holding (a staff with a forked thing on the end and more)?

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #747 on: April 14, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »
No. 24 stopped by and met Dominick today.

Offline Double D

« Reply #748 on: April 14, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
Family Reunion.  No. 14 got together with No.24 and visited with their cousin Dom Krupp.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #749 on: April 14, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
Looks a little like they got together and had a baby, and got it a nice crib!