Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87266 times)

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #930 on: January 17, 2013, 03:52:19 AM »
Then I want #87. The missing numbers were taken up by the 2013 arms control act.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #931 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:22 AM »
Then I want #87. The missing numbers were taken up by the 2013 arms control act.

The number request is not arbitrary...the first in the series had 24 issues....I requested and got Number 24. My request is to reserve my number in the new series.

Number 24 is perhaps the most photographed of all in the series. If you go back up thread you will see many of the members here have had the good fortune to have had their picture taken with Number 24 in its journeys around the country.

A recap...

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #932 on: January 17, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
Rocklock is correct Spuddy will take #1. ;D

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #933 on: January 17, 2013, 06:21:30 AM »
OK 24 had the most mileage. I will request #7 then.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #934 on: January 17, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
      First of all, DO NOT send any money at this time!  Calm down Double D.; we have decided NOT to open #24 up for bidding.   Please send your full name, shipping address (complete) and Phone no. to our regular Email:  seacoastartillery@gmail.com  This is also necessary for those who purchased the Krupp Howitzer.  Thank you.

To answer GGaskill's logical question,  "What the heck am I buying, anyway?", we posted a much clearer Wiki pic of the longer 'Gun' version below.  It's the one in the foreground.  There are more curves to the carriage and different bolts and rivets too.  Elevation will be the same or a very similar sliding block to keep costs under control. 

Displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition, the 14" Krupp Gun in the foreground will be faithfully replicated with as much detail as the price will allow with the upper carriage only.  The caliber will be .354" (9mm) for all cannons produced.  We have found no real difference in the distance a firecracker will go between the .312" and the .354"bore size.  For those in firecracker banned areas, common crayons can be substituted.  Sorry Gulfcoastblackpowder, no Chassis will be included.

Ok, so far we have Ex 49'er, #6;  Double D., #24 (eventually we will make 26-30, so #24 fits in);  Skidmark, #7;  GGaskill #unspecified;  Rocklock1, #9; and Spuddy, #1.

Take a look through this thread.  There are some USE movie clips.  See if maybe you want to get in on the fun!

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #935 on: January 17, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
Number NINE Number NINE ...... 9
Thank you
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #936 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
Sorry, but I am about, on a moments notice, with some, to no little advanced warning, to head off to an undisclosed location somewhere in the world with little too no if any internet access or running water...much to busy getting ready to take time to calm down...Checks in the mail!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #937 on: January 17, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »
     OK, Rocklock1, got it.  NINE  NINE  Is that German you are writing?  Lorenz eh?  Austrian?  NO  NO what?  No no Nanette?  ;)

Oh, No. 9, gotcha.

Best wishes from Mike and I, Douglas!!  Bon voyage and good luck!!!

M&T

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #938 on: January 17, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »
Semper Fi
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #939 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
     OK, Rocklock1, got it.  NINE  NINE  Is that German you are writing?  Lorenz eh?  Austrian?  NO  NO what?  No no Nanette?  ;)

Oh, No. 9, gotcha.

Best wishes from Mike and I, Douglas!!  Bon voyage and good luck!!!

M&T

I saw "No No Nanette" on Broadway 67-68??? whenever it was  ;) .
Dad got tickets somehow ... It wasn't bad ,the production value was somewhat over rated ,but thats just me. Costumes and vocals were excellent !

Yes Mr. Kunze,
Austrian, German and Danish of the best kind.

Maybe you've heard of the 'Lorenz Rifle' it was the 3rd most used rifle in The Civil War made or invented depending on how you look at it . Yep in Austria .

I wont talk about the enigma as we(Lorenzes) that were left in the old country were on the wrong side of history in that one .

Oh yea a guy named Nastro got us the tickets :o

Gary 

Offline Double D

« Reply #940 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »
Well, I ain't quite gone yet---sometime between the 25th and no later than the 28th.

Right now I am on my way to Oregon to visit with an old high school classmate---she just got the flowers I had delivered and sent me a text saying I am awesome---I agree!   ;D

No.  24 is staying home for this trip.

Offline Double D

« Reply #941 on: January 17, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
Gary was that the 1971 revival for which Helen  Gallagher got a Tony?

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #942 on: January 17, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »
M & T,  I would like to have one also.  The serial number is not of importance so whatever # is ok.  Just let me know when you need the funds and I'll send when your ready.  Thank you.  Dom

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #943 on: January 17, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
     Just got another order by email.  Thanks LS.  Sure do appreciate your business and thank you once again for making that nice video clip of the Krupp Howitzer sending that firecracker flying across that beautiful, lush, green lawn you have.  I tried to find it in this monster thread, but could not. 

That's what these little firecracker cannons are all about.  Mike and I had great fun visiting Rocklock1 in his backyard on a warm summer afternoon for a serious bombardment of his crabapple tree or woodpile.  The perfect time to bring out one of these little seacoast guns to shoot some exploding "fused shells" is at such a gathering of friends.  7 of 10 little indians are now down.  Only 3 left.

Good friends.  Good conversation.  Reliable artillery.

Tracy and Mike

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #944 on: January 17, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
M&T,

Is lucky #7 available? My Krupp would like to have a big brother of the same suit...  ;)
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #945 on: January 17, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »
Gary was that the 1971 revival for which Helen  Gallagher got a Tony?

I dont remember exactly which year it was ,but the show ran for years IIRC . I mean that play was IT.
Lot's of fine singing, and polite clapping . 

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #946 on: January 17, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
     Intoodeep,   Thank you very much  for your order;  so far we have this:  Ex 49'er, #6;  Double D., #24 (eventually we will make 26-30, so #24 fits in);  Skidmark, #7;  GGaskill, #unspecified;  Rocklock1, #9;  Spuddy, #1;  LS, # unspecified;  and Dominick, # unspecified.  So, pick a number not requested yet. 

Thanks very much for your order, Dom and thank you for the deluxe tour of your shop in September.  You sure do make some interesting cannons!  Have you found a new range to shoot at yet?

Nine indians down, gentlemen, and only one to go. 

Mike & Tracy

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #947 on: January 17, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
     Intoodeep,   Thank you very much  for your order;  so far we have this:  Ex 49'er, #6;  Double D., #24 (eventually we will make 26-30, so #24 fits in);  Skidmark, #7;  GGaskill, #unspecified;  Rocklock1, #9;  Spuddy, #1;  LS, # unspecified;  and Dominick, # unspecified.  So, pick a number not requested yet. 

Mike & Tracy

M&T,

Guess, I should have read back a few post.  I've always been too poor to pay attention......  ;D So,  I'll go for #8. It will be the next best thing after #7.  I guess if the debit keeps climbing I guess the serial number can too......  ;D
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #948 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »
Wasn't there something during the first issue about refusal rights for serial numbers---only 32 pages to read to find out...

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #949 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »
So basically the same breeching as the howitzer in the gun barrel?

If the serial numbers are not required to be consecutive, make mine #18 so it matches my howie.

I am likely to have moved by the time these are finished.  Do you want my current address or will you be asking for a shipping address on the eve of shipping?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #950 on: January 18, 2013, 07:09:41 AM »
     OK, Intoodeep's Krupp Seacoast Gun M1868 will have serial number 8.

Let's see, as we go through GGaskill's list of questions and assertions we come to this:  "So basically the same breeching as the howitzer in the gun barrel?"  The answer is YES, because that is the way they were historically made.  As a matter of fact, all the way through WWII, Krupp made cannon large and small with basically the same, screw-propelled, sliding breech block.  Plusses were:  strength, much less costly to make, and reasonable speed of actuation.  Negatives were:  Not capable of obturation, (needed a short, flexible, case behind the bag charge to flair out under pressure to seal the bore).  George wants SN 18; no problem.  We will make an exception, due to special circumstances for Mr. Gaskill; George if you could send us an email to   seacoastartillery@gmail.com   with a phone number not likely to change, we would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

Everyone else, please do as Intoodeep has already done.  Send us your contact info today or tomorrow.  Include your full name, current shipping address and phone number.  We will be plenty busy when these are ready to ship without a lot of extra thrashing around.  We don't require deposits and we allow you to back out at the last minute, so please return the favor and send us your info now.  Thanks.

To those of you who are "on the fence" now, all we can say is these Krupps are as much fun explaining how they work to friends that stop by, as they are in the backyard.  With all the actuating screws and levers and sliding parts they have, they are truly "mechanical marvels".

The only way that we have had more fun, is with our first cannons, the carbide type when we were 11 or12 years old.  Mine was a 60mm, OD Green, Army Howitzer with black, rubber wheels.  We used to load it with a handful of green elderberries with attached stems and all before charging the water reservoir with a pinch of "Bangsite" carbide powder.  We would chase each other 'round and 'round the backyard going for a back shot only, no frontal shots was our only rule.  Boy did those hard berries sting at close range!  What fun! 

Only one left now.

Mike and Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #951 on: January 18, 2013, 08:28:06 AM »
     Thank you very much, GLS for your order.  Per your request, #14 is assigned to your Krupp Gun.  The first run of M1868 Krupp Seacoast Guns is now Sold Out.  Thanks to one and all for your interest and especially your orders.  The second run of 10 guns is loosely scheduled for Autumn of 2014 about a year after we complete the current batch. 

As far as assigning serial numbers to those guns which are currently ordered, we would rather not do that so will those gentlemen who have ordered a gun with an unspecified serial number, please take a few minutes and post your choice on this thread.  Thank you.  Here are the SNs as they stand right now:

Ex 49'er, #6;  Double D., #24 (eventually we will make 26-30, so #24 fits in);  Skidmark, #7;  GGaskill, #18;  Rocklock1, #9;  Spuddy, #1;  LS, # unspecified;  and Dominick, # unspecified; Intoodeep, #8; and GLS #14.  A close friend of Mike and I just called to get one and Mike's limit of 10 was expanded to 11.  So, per Mike #2 is taken as of now.  That's it for run #1, no more orders will be accepted.

Serial Numbers  3, 4, 5, 10, etc. are still available.  If Dom and Little Seacoast could pick a number we would be appreciative.  Please, everyone, remember to send us your current contact info soon.  Thanks from the cannonmakers at Seacoast Artillery!

Mike and Tracy

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #952 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »
Ok in that case I'll take #19 ;D
Gary

Offline boomerralph

• Avid Poster
« Reply #953 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
     Guess what, Carl, (Reply #918)  you're in luck!  Seacoast Artillery will be producing a 10 pc. run of Krupp Seacoast Artillery sometime this year.  At the urging of owners of the first Krupp release, which was a howitzer, the 10 pc. run of 2013 Krupps will be configured as the Gun was which was displayed at the Philadelphia Exhibition in 1876 or as an 11-Inch Seacoast Gun of 1867, a photo of which is below.  This will call for changes to the steel carriage as well, but the changes will be few to keep the cost of production down.  Wishing to make more than Guatemalan ditch digger wages this time, the Seacoast staff is united in our goal to equal U.S. Lumber Yard Cowboy wages.  You know the guy or gal that does the parking lot shopping-cart roundup several times a day.

The production & delivery schedule is unknown at this time, but will probably be closer to leaf watching time in Vermont rather than the 150th at Gettysburg.

The good news is that the Price is known and will be $499 per cannon.  Remember some of the previous edition went for over $600 on Ebay.

M & T please put me on the Krupp gun list.  I have got to have one!
Ralph M. Reese
ralphreese@msn.com
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #954 on: January 18, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »
    Hi, Boomerralph Mike here.  You sir are the very last one to reserve a Krupp Gun in this first run. All others know this.....You will have to wait until we do a second run in 2014.  That is all. No more exceptions!!

Mike

Offline boomerralph

• Avid Poster
« Reply #955 on: January 18, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
Mike,
Thank you, Sir.  I am not particular as to a number, I will be happy with what I get.
Ralph
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #956 on: January 18, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
Not to complicate matters any; but, I was wondering about something. Are the barrels going to be offered in firecracker and 9mm bore size, again? I opt for the 9mm size since Kaliforny is firecracker unfriendly and I've got a lifetime supply of pencils and crayons.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #957 on: January 18, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
     Congratulations Ex 49'er, you choose the ONLY one we will be gun-drilling!  No kidding, and the reason is simple.  You spoke of one-half of it and the other half is the fact that the .312" firecracker only bore does not launch them any further than the .354" (9mm) bore does. 

Mike found a larger photo of the traditional view of our gun in the Machinery Hall of the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philly.  It has excellent detail. Now we have the perfect view for determining over all length and dia. of breech and tube that I found and posted yesterday and Mike's discovery today that shows all the little details of the tube's sights, carriage bolts, wheels and rivets.

Tracy

Details, details, details.  Can you see the Ship's wheel which transfers rotation to a small gear and then to a large exterior gear which is connected by a shaft to a small, interior pinion gear which, in turn drives a rack attached to the tube's rear up or down for depression or elevation.  Also you can just see the teeth of the large captured screw within the rear of the breech block.  As the artillerymen turn the handle on the right side of the breech block's end the captured screw rotates and engages partial threads on the rear side of the breech block recess in the breech, drawing the block inside and wedging the short obturator case forward into battery behind the powder charge.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #958 on: January 18, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »
M & T, Thank you. Even if the bore was only gonna be .312, I would still want a new edition Krupp. Now I'm going to have to get a bigger range box to hold both Krupps. Might have to sell off some trench art so I can afford the new one, too; but, I'll manage somehow!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #959 on: January 19, 2013, 07:15:51 AM »
Looks like another fine creation will be on it's way from the fine folks at Sedacoast Artillery!
first chance I have had to get logged on.... our spyware had detected malware on here for some reason.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium