Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87280 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2010, 02:02:47 AM »
This is a really cool thread.  I have enjoyed watching this evolve.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
   Thanks Tim.  We have enjoyed overcoming the sticking points and problems and working on the solutions to the perennial question,  "Why won't it work NOW?"  Those things and the unexpected ones, like a 12" drill bit breaking off at 5.4" in a 7.4" bore.  Sometimes no matter what you do, the only way to fix it is by starting all over again.  C'est la vie!  The second time around you try for optimum deep hole drilling technique and then hope for the best.  The second time to get to the same point it only took two hours, not three.  That brought smiles back, because time is money.  The pictures tell the story; the tube is done except for bluing.

Mike and Tracy

Preparing to machine the guide groove in the Breech Block.  Alignment of the rotary table and 3-jaw chuck is ongoing here prior to machining.

The .125" 4 flute end mill is delicate so we team up to do this type of job.  While Mike rotates the -x- and -y- axis cranks, I create a "waterfall cut" to the full depth of .020" per pass to ease the end mill into the work to make a deeper groove.  Full depth was .125", so five passes were necessary on each of the 3 legs of the groove path.

Here is a little gunsmith's trick on how to find the center of a round pin or shaft or journal.  Place a 6" steel scale on top of the pin with roughly half the scale on either side.  Press your centerdrill down on the scale, roughly centered on the pin. Move the pin side to side until the scale is level.  You are now within .004" of the pin's top-dead-center.  In this case we were drilling a hole for the Breech Block end handle.

Our set-up for drilling and boring the 1.000" dia. Trunnion/Rimbase holes to .700" depth.  The test indicator centers the tube in the mill vise while the indexer holds the muzzle in it's 3-jaw chuck.  The indexer and the work are both shimmed for height so their central axes are coincident.  After getting the Breech Block hole parallel to the mill table, the indexer is set to zero deg., then it is rotated 90 deg. for the first Trunnion hole.  We use a center drill, .25",.50",.75",.875"drill bits, then we rotate 180 deg. and do it all again, then switch to the Criterion Boring Head and bore out the remaining metal in 3 steps, the last being only .006" for a nice finish.  Then rotate 180 deg and complete the boring on the other trunnion hole.

The .750' dia. drill bit sends out a big steel pig's tail chip.  Since these big drill bits have a large drill point, the boring bar is used to flatten the hole right at .700" deep.

Here we are using the 20 ton press to push the Trunnion/Rimbase into the hole.  No pics of turning these.  Mike is way too fast and I handle the compressed air cooling and measuring.  The holes are 1.0020", so the rimbase is turned to 1.0035.  .0015 interference is plenty for a very tight fit.  Two secrets here are put a 5 deg. bevel about .25" long on a one inch press-fit pin and use a very small pinch (about the size of a small ladybug) of lithium grease on that inserted bevel end.  We use a 15 second dwell-time, at max pressure, to get the hdw. to the hole's bottom.

I don't think he want's to sell it!  We both had loads of fun building this Krupp blaster!

I was trying for a "Machine Age" or "Industrial Revolution" theme for this photo.  It's complete except for bluing.  Carriage build on Friday.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
Great thread following it from here in silence, please put me on your list of want and gotta have..  Thanks, Ed...

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
This morning I got to see the Krupp . It is awsome ,if you like moving parts and fantastic workmanship you will like these things .

I am holding out for the long barreled model , Mike and Tracy really took an idea and ran with it .

Curiously though , one Carronader wrote me to say that Mike and Tracy were far more productive while I was not around ........ ??? After I thought about it ...I realized he was right !

This thing has a trip lever that can be adopted to a lanyard . Very Cool!!!!!

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
but who have delivered the burritos while you have been away ??   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
Well now Dan don't EVER UNDERESTIMATE MIKE and TRACY ! They are fully capable of getting thier/his own burrito ...... The early bird gets the worm !  :D

I must always buy two equal ones or else ...noone would be happy .....  :(

Turn about is fair play and Mike got to pick which coffee mug he wanted , because ....... The early bird got the worm agian !

Yes they had the nerve to ask me to haul something on carry on ...I did .

OH I was &%)@%$!*% ,yesterday the foghatwearing TSA people STOLE my bottle of BARBEQUE SAUCE ! OH YEA ,brand new unopened bottle of the 3rd place winner of the Houston taste off . &*@+!^)#

guy says 'bag check' ,so I put my flip flops back on and followed an agent . he opens up my bag and says 'We show a large bottle inside Sir' .........Good greif he took my BBQ sauce . I looked this man right in the eye and said "You must be joking ?,this is the sillyest thing I ever heard " . It is surprising how polite I can be when I know 3 wrong words in a row can get me in a bunch of trouble !     ....so I spaced them out over 5 mins ......

"Where is the detonator for this BBQ sauce?" He smiled cause he knew it was stupid .

Since I got away with that one I asked "Have you ever caught a terrorist ?" "Uhh what?" so then he said "yea we caught one once years ago . He had lots of passports on him !"

"Do you think I am a terrorist?"   he said "No sir" .  But yet you want my BBQ sauce ?

I told him to enjoy it or give it to someone . He threw it in a dumpster . Then some lady said "they got to test everything to make sure of things .

" I told her "Yea I bet they 'TEST IT'  ..... it's proly on some testers table tonight . He didnt even say "Thank You" no kiss either . :o

Gary

I 'wished I'd have said' you're right it IS bad ,what if I dump out all but 3.5 oz of it ?

My 4oz can of Right Gaurd  was inspected too but "it was ok" .........what did he mean by that !?  :D

Anyway SouthWest comped me a drink .....so it's ok  ;D

Cannons Rock
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
whats right guard ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »
whats right guard ??

I love this place.   ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »
Sorry Dan it a brand of deoderant ! It's WAY OLD SCHOOL .....I had the "Midnight Express" scent , IIRC

Or some such thing !

This stuff can stop a bug in its tracks ! ;D

Gary

ETA ..... It is "Swagger" . kills bugs dead . oh yea it's Old Spice too ...........another way old timer Dan

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »
I wonder what the ebay account of bag-check people is like.  They must sell tons of nail clippers, pocket knives, and Gary's BBQ sauce!

The Krupp looks really good.  Lots of nifty moving parts and whirligigs...

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »
ooooohhh , ok

I thought it was some kind of hair spray   ;D
as we both need so much of it  ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
    We appreciate the compliments guys.  I guess if Gary and Zulu ever call for a Big Head convention, we could at least apply for entrance.  What is really amazing is the fact, that after all the compliments he has received on his marvelous cannon, Dominick is still friendly, approachable and a real gentleman.

Well, not too much was accomplished on the Krupp carriage today.  The return of the prodigal son, Rocklock1 and the sudden appearance of the other sculptor we know, Bruce, pretty much shot half a day.  Thanks for the great Battleship Texas coffee mugs, Gary.  It's the only dreadnaught mug I own!  At least the drawing was finished and Mike and I braved a trip through the steel yard in a thunder and lightening storm to find some 1/4" 1018 for the cheeks and bolster.  We bought new stuff, just for you guys!  We have new 1/2" 1018 in stock for the carriage base plate.  Saturday is set aside for making the proto carriage.  I'm sure it can be completed in a day, although some of the fasteners will have to be ordered.  Pics on Sunday!

Tracy and Mike

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »
     Mike and I sure did step lively through the steel yard today.  There was a huge black cloud partially covering the yard and we could see lightening and hear thunder coming from about 3 miles away.

Also, could Victor3, 1Southpaw and El Cazador 66 please check your PMs. 

Thank you,

Mike and Tracy

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
I can imagine it was a brisk walk through all that metal with a Colorado thunderboomer heading your way....
they can roll in quick out there  :o glad to see that neither of you became a lightning rod....

as always the detail on the cannon tube is superb and up to Seacoasts high standards I guess I will have to
check with you and find out what one of these will cost......... my Germanic roots on my mom's side
are saying I VANT! I VANT!  ;D

And Gary 4 more posts and your count will coincide with the year.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
KABAR2 writes:
I can imagine it was a brisk walk through all that metal with a Colorado thunderboomer heading your way....
they can roll in quick out there  Shocked glad to see that neither of you became a lightning rod....

As always the detail on the cannon tube is superb and up to Seacoasts high standards I guess I will have to
check with you and find out what one of these will cost......... my Germanic roots on my mom's side
are saying I VANT! I VANT!  Grin

Allen,    We are sure glad we didn't get crispy crittered too.  We scurried around pretty quickly while in the shadow of that big, black  Cumulonimbus cloud!  We got one 2.5" dia. round of new 1018 about 5 feet long and about 100 pounds of 1/4" 1018 cheek and front transom material, then we were gone!  We will determine the price of the Krupp Howitzer by the end of this week.  We hope you decide to order one!  Today was simplify the drawing day.  Most of our creative drawings go from nothing but a simple sketch to something very complex and costly to finally something functional, more refined, simple and minimally decorative, not flashy and less costly.  That process took half the day today and half the day yesterday and only the transom plate remains to be done, the simplest of all the parts.  Actual machining and assembly of the carriage starts tomorrow.

Mike and Tracy

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »
Will these be a one run, get'em now we'll never do them again item or standard catalog?

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2010, 05:18:19 AM »
Will these be a one run, get'em now we'll never do them again item or standard catalog?

Hopefully a very limited one, in a series of several seacoast guns, run get'em now destroy the mold type of thing. ;D I can hardly wait to see the carriage.

Offline Double D

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2010, 05:40:30 AM »
Well if they are a one run deal, I'll have to go see if MacDonalds is hiring..."would you like fries with that?"

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2010, 06:06:37 AM »
     Double D wrote:
"Will these be a one run, get'em now we'll never do them again item or standard catalog?"  

Spuddy wrote:
"Hopefully a very limited one, in a series of several seacoast guns, run get'em now destroy the mold type of thing. Grin I can hardly wait to see the carriage."

Although the price of the guns in this series of three or four Firecracker Seacoast Guns will not be the sales limiting factor, we believe the type of cannon and the length of time they will be offered will limit the numbers.  We will not be doing ANY volume production after retirement which is only two years away.  With three or four guns planned in the 'Firecracker' series, we won't have time to do more than two 10 piece batches of any one cannon.  Since this is all speculation and supposing what will happen, that's the best answer we can give.  Take from it what you will.

The plan right now for cannon building after retirement is to concentrate on US Civil War seacoast cannon, unknown scale, building only two at one time, one for the company to display at gun shows and historical or educational displays and one for sale.

The Krupp carriage is proving to be more complicated by elevation gear, angles and set backs of transoms, etc. than we figured, so please don't expect any pics until Wed. evening.

Mike and Tracy

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »
Doggone it, this is turning out to be a extremely neat little cannon. Can't wait to see what the carriage will look like; but, I'll wait for the pictures. Don't know what the cost is yet; but, I want one. If I can only lay claim to ownership of one Seacoast Artillery cannon in my lifetime, then a Krupp would be great. Probably never fire it since Republic of Kaliforny doesn't allow firecrackerz. It'll look great on a shelf, tho.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
Doug if you get a yob at Mcducks ..... I may have to come up and order some 'fires' .

Alot of folks think they only serve Frys , as in French ....

But FIRES  Doug I need to see that . Flaming fry grease in the lap is all I expect . ;D

Yep get'em while they are here . This is a 'nitche' market and some is a nitche within a ......and so on .

NOTHING lasts forever and neither will these .

If you find a hollow tube somewhat .... boring sometimes .....then THIS is the cannon for YOU ! There is a lot of stuff to mess with ,moving parts ,springs ....

Just plain cool .

And MADE IN THE USA Where a duck may be somebodies mother .

Gary

ETA I too want a piece marked "Seacoast Artillary" ....... now , what is this talk of a serries ? That is a good idea ! Show off your skills and make some joes happy ,not just some highroller !

NOTHING AGAINST HIGHROLLERS  ;D ;D ;D

Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »
There is just something not right about Gary pointing out spelling errors.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
 ;D

Yes in in so many ways ...... Hold the fires !

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
For those of us in firecracker restricted states , Crayons also make good ammo in this bore size . They also mark your shots . Armorer77

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
Ohhhooo   :o ...  Armorer77 ....crayons !  :o . That is brilliant !!! No kidding . :o

Hot flaming wax death from above !  :o

Eat HOT LAVENDER YOU BANDAGES !  :o

Gary

Dark Red !  "YOU are ON DECK ! Stand Tall you bandage !"   ;D

Sorry ...Gary  :D

Offline Double D

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »
I have been talking to the neighbor about working the harvest....what will one of these firecracker cannons cost. Will they shoot round ball?

Would owner modification by lining the bore with chunk .308 barrel void the warranty?

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2010, 05:27:17 AM »
Hey DD,  Maybe there is a reward for that escaped Arizona convict. If he comes through Cut Bank on his way to Canada and you capture him, you could pay for a Krupp.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2010, 06:23:44 AM »
They were already past Cut Bank, 70 miles from here when some one saw a women who looked like his girlfriend/fiance/1st cousin trying to buy a burrito at the Bad Frog Cantina Mexican Grill in St. Mary's, about 17 miles south of Canada.  By time she was reported they probably were at the Edmonton mall in Canada.

No fear, though with all the Unmarked Law enforcement vehicle at the Super 8 motel and McDonalds those areas are secure.  As usual the three rat terrors are on duty.

These rat dogs are my first line of defense and are vicious little killers and will shred any intruders ankles; unlike a cat who would just rub cat hair all over their legs.

I was going load up several of the cannons but I haven't figured out how to explain to the wife about the burn in mark on the carpet where the linstock fell over.  The Krupp gun would have eliminated the need for a linstock and  the grief that will come when she sees the mark.

Of course sprinkled around the house are a bunch of my old friends.  Several of the Glock family, as well several of the Smith and Wesson fellows.  Mauser BH is also close by. Then of course the big boy Remington is ready to pump him self up.  The African visitors Assegai and Knobkerrie are about also.  Then of course there is a screwdriver sitting on my desk if push comes to shove--pun intended.

I sure wish I could commit to one of those Krupp guns, but can't until after harvest.

To bad thse Krupp guns don't shoot slugs the would be cool in the postal.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2010, 07:06:27 AM »
  Thanks, Armorer77,  crayons meet several criteria for those living in cracker challenged areas.  They are first, lightweight!  This breechloader is designed to shoot ONLY lightweight projectiles.  No steel or lead balls Please.  Weight ups the ante on pressure and a more sophisticated breech closure is needed for a high pressure cannon.  Second, crayons can easily be cut to a length at or less than the 1.5" maximum projectile length.  Third, interesting artwork could be produced by firing them.  Thank you, this is a capital idea!!  Sorry Double D, firing steel, lead, gold or tantalum projectiles WILL void the warantee.  Depleted uranium is verbotten also!

We have just finished calculating the cost of making these Krupp Howitzers.  This allows us to now announce the price to all you who have expressed interest out there.  This price is $249.00 plus $14.00 S&H to U.S. customers.  We regret that these cannon cannot be exported at this time.

Gary, you're correct, this is a special product.  It is a nitch within a nitch.  Never thought of them that way.  And another great idea from Ex 49er who is always trying to help folks out.  This time he offers the western moderator a money making idea which is right up his alley!  Just capture that prison escapee and collect the reward.  What could be more logical for a lawman?  Now, just as DD is visualizing the path to a free and clear Krupp gun, I have to be the cop and bring him back to reality.  Sorry DD, but modification of the bore with the insertion of a .308 cal. liner would  void the warantee.  No high pressure applications, please!

Double D is absolutely correct about one thing, however, when he wrote,  "There is just something not right about Gary pointing out spelling errors."  The guy who never got past the word 'Cat' on his school's spelling bee is on his way south right now, so Mike and I have to  get our Battleship Texas coffee mugs out and brew some mud.

Mike and Tracy

P.S.   Sorry DD, sounds like the opportunity is lost, but harvesting is good honest work and I, for one, thought you had an excellent reason as to why it took you twice as long to do that field as the other fellows.  Who could argue with your novel idea about testing your theories about how those "Crop Circles" are really created?  Not me!

Offline Double D

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2010, 07:39:03 AM »
No crop circles for sure.  But after my first path with a swather, the field looked like a golf course fairway-dogleg left , dogleg right.